Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Lets Revisit Wheelsets- Which on is the best?

I was looking at
    Enve rims

and the new mavic Crossmax's

What I am leaning towards the crossmax's becasue they are 1500 dollars cheaper.
    And the thought of Carbon rims still scare me.

What do you all think in terms of performance without price then the all things with price considered?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My buddy rides the hell out of his Enve AM's... if I had the cash it's what I'd order.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Other options are the Derby rims with 29mm interior width and hookless.
    Home, wide rims, carbon fiber rims, mountain bike rims
    For aluminum American Classic Wide Lightening.
    WIDE LIGHTNING|29 TUBELESS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Are the Easton Haven rims (not the wheels) any good? Are they as durable and nice as the Enves?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have Flow EX's right now, only put about 100 miles on them and they seem really durable. I can feel the flex though. I don't have the cash for a set of Enve's so I just ordered the Derbys. Not sure what hubs I'm going to build them with yet.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Not the best, but if you'd like carbon at a great price point...try the Light Bike rims?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Not the best, but if you'd like carbon at a great price point...try the Light Bike rims?
    +10 on the Light Bike Rims. Been riding a set for about a month and really impressed. LB rims laced to dtswiss 240 hubs.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    My buddy rides the hell out of his Enve AM's... if I had the cash it's what I'd order.
    The ENVE AM's are too skinny to be fun to trail ride with in my book, YMMV. I have a set of Derby rims with the extra carbon layup and 36h on order. They are going to be built 3x with Sapim X-ray spokes. By the initial reports they should be very sweet.

I had great hope that he Syntace w35 (35mm wide) wheels with the offset spoke bed would be available by now but no luck.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico View Post
    The ENVE AM's are too skinny to be fun to trail ride with in my book, YMMV. I have a set of Derby rims with the extra carbon layup and 36h on order. They are going to be built 3x with Sapim X-ray spokes. By the initial reports they should be very sweet.

I had great hope that he Syntace w35 (35mm wide) wheels with the offset spoke bed would be available by now but no luck.
    I dont want to take the chance on the LB rims even though there are ton of positive reviews.

I want a wheelset prebuilt and I have the cash for it.

I also want the best of the best with the best performance gains while the hopefull durability to last at least 5 years w/o any freak accidents.

I ride XC, but I weigh 200+ and I ride hard and mash hard.
    I need somthing that kind withstand abuse

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by toot334455 View Post
    I dont want to take the chance on the LB rims even though there are ton of positive reviews.

I also want the best of the best with the best performance gains while the hopefull durability to last at least 5 years w/o any freak accidents.

I ride XC, but I weigh 200+ and I ride hard and mash hard.
    I need somthing that kind withstand abuse
    Well, you could wait a bit for the Syntace w35 prebuilt wheels to become available. They should be pretty light, tough & very high quality. The offset spoke bed is a sweet feature. Tubeless capable also.

I went to Universal Cycles and the 29er w35's are actually listed now. So that means that we should see them sometime in the next year.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member

Crossmax all day long...

I've had the Crossmax SLRs since they were introduced. I run them tubeless on my Superfly Comp SS, and they are incredible (I weigh @ 210 geared up). The bike climbs insanely well, but what really surprised me is how well it descends. I am as fast down many sections on this bike as I am on my Remedy 9.7. No noticeable flex under load and they go exactly where I point them. Put about 2000 miles on them so far, and have done NOTHING to them other than changing out sealant 1 time on the front wheel. No problems seating tires, holding air, or staying true.

I was looking at
    Enve rims

and the new mavic Crossmax's

What I am leaning towards the crossmax's becasue they are 1500 dollars cheaper.
    And the thought of Carbon rims still scare me.

What do you all think in terms of performance without price then the all things with price considered?
    Have at it!

mtbr member
    Nice find 29echio
    Syntace W35 MX Wheels Review - Pinkbike
    This review makes them sound promising.

Also thanks for the input supersonic sounds like they perform as adevertised.

So it sounds like the crossmax's perform better in terms of structure.
    While the syntax are wider so they perform better in that regard.

Only if the crossmax's were as wide as the syntax's

I do believe that the rachet system on the syntax's are better than the crossmax's correct me if im wrong?

Another cool thing with the syntace wheels is the ability to run wider tires with less grip. So more traction therefore you need less knobs in turn making you faster overall due to the higher contact patch....

I do believe that the crossmax's perfrom better from a physics standpoint though.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    For aluminum American Classic Wide Lightening.
    WIDE LIGHTNING|29 TUBELESS
    +1 on the Wide Lightnings... really good weight for the width, and great hubs... for a pretty decent price. I'll be saving in my piggy bank over the winter for these.

MTBR had a great write-up about them. Feature: American Classic Wide Lightning and other 2014 Wheels | Mountain Bike Review

Bodhisattva

Industry Nine Enduro with Torch hubs

Light, wide, stiff, wicked fast engagement, very durable, prebuilt and ready to ship, great customer service and the best hub buzz in the industry
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Industry Nine Enduro with Torch hubs

Light, wide, stiff, wicked fast engagement, very durable, prebuilt and ready to ship, great customer service and the best hub buzz in the industry
    DAMMM!!! THese are DOPE AS ****!

DEFINANTLY the new front runner!

Its like I want the Lacing and hubs with the cross max rims! The enduro rims might be overkill what do you think?

Bodhisattva
    DAMMM!!! THese are DOPE AS ****!

DEFINANTLY the new front runner!

Its like I want the Lacing and hubs with the cross max rims! The enduro rims might be overkill what do you think?
    I think the Enduro rims are killer. I've been riding this set for two months. I previously had old style I-9's laced to Flows. The new rim is stiffer and has a wide tire profile. If you want to shave a few grams, I-9 also has a "trail" setup, but you'll sacrifice stiffness. At 200 lbs, I wouldn't recommend it unless your trails are buff. They also offer a carbon hoop, if you really want to go for it all.

INDUSTRY NINE :: torch wheels

Last I checked, Competitive Cyclist had the 29 Enduro in stock - that's where I bought my last set.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'd go for the American Classic Race 29, AC Wide Lightning or Light-Bicycle carbon rims built up with hubs of your choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

If you want the best of the best, why would you go with pre-built wheels?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    If you want the best of the best, why would you go with pre-built wheels?
    I lived by the point of view for a number of years. But my 3 sets of I-9 "prebuilts" have been every bit as good as my gourmet hand-built wheels

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I don't doubt that I9 wheels are good, but I believe that he can build a "better" alloy wheelset for much less or a carbon wheelset for not too much more. I personally would never pay $1200+ for an alloy wheelset, no matter how many POE the rear hub has.

I say "better" because the OP really hasn't defined any priorities or preferences in this new wheelset, or where/what he rides, other than saying it's XC, that he weighs 200+ pounds and that he rides/mashes hard. If he really does ride that hard, I would say that in 5 years, something is going to either break or need to be addressed, and going with non-proprietary stuff will make it easier for his LBS to handle whatever happens.

Since the OP has mentioned his weight and that he wants them to be reliable, and nothing about riding extremely technical terrain that would require 120 POE hubs, why not build up a set of 32-hole Flow EX wheels with some White Industries hubs and DT Swiss Competition spokes for $800-$900? I don't see how these wheels would be inferior to the I9's unless the OP provides some additional information to convince me otherwise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am running the I9 torch endure wheel set---235lbs and I ride routinely with a 20 pound pack on my back (for commuting) in addition to a variety of single track. The wheels have held up very well (although there was a bearing defect that I9 took care of under warranty--no problem). While the I9's are great, there is the complication that should you need to replace a spoke, you are not likely to find one laying around at your local shop.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by orind View Post
    While the I9's are great, there is the complication that should you need to replace a spoke, you are not likely to find one laying around at your local shop.
    Valid point. In the past, my I-9 wheelsets came with several extra spokes. They don't include that with the Torch series. For that very reason, I purchased 4 extra spokes directly from I-9 which I keep in my toolbox "just in case".

mtbr member
    I haven't owned the torch hubs, but had read a few scary things about the bearings.

On p11 alone of this thread are a couple. Posts 254/255.

Industry Nine Torch Wheels?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    I don't doubt that I9 wheels are good, but I believe that he can build a "better" alloy wheelset for much less or a carbon wheelset for not too much more. I personally would never pay $1200+ for an alloy wheelset, no matter how many POE the rear hub has.

I say "better" because the OP really hasn't defined any priorities or preferences in this new wheelset, or where/what he rides, other than saying it's XC, that he weighs 200+ pounds and that he rides/mashes hard. If he really does ride that hard, I would say that in 5 years, something is going to either break or need to be addressed, and going with non-proprietary stuff will make it easier for his LBS to handle whatever happens.

Since the OP has mentioned his weight and that he wants them to be reliable, and nothing about riding extremely technical terrain that would require 120 POE hubs, why not build up a set of 32-hole Flow EX wheels with some White Industries hubs and DT Swiss Competition spokes for $800-$900? I don't see how these wheels would be inferior to the I9's unless the OP provides some additional information to convince me otherwise.
    OP said he wants prebuilts.

I have White Ind hubs on my road bike - they are very nice. But as memory serves me, they are heavier and have less POE than I-9 (I could be wrong and haven't checked specs for awhile)

I agree that I'd consider a nicely hand-built set of Flow rims on decent hubs to be relatively equivalent to a good set of I-9s. But, again, OP wants prebuilt. Personally, I've developed a fondness for high engagement hubs like I-9, Hadley, King, etc. Hubs with less POE feel sloppy to me, but others seem not to notice the difference.

While expensive, I9 offer an exceptional mix of POE, weight, stiffness, rim width & quality.The next step up, in the prebuilt realm, is something carbon at about double the cost. I remain skeptical than a carbon hoop would offer much performance advantage to the I-9 enduro (weight will be about the same, perhaps some gain in stiffness), but will consider rebuilding my torch hoops with the new Derby rims if durability issues don't surface.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    I haven't owned the torch hubs, but had read a few scary things about the bearings.

On p11 alone of this thread are a couple. Posts 254/255.

Industry Nine Torch Wheels?
    Evidently their first batch had some production issues. I've had no problems with mine, purchased in late July, with lots of accumulated technical miles.

As for comments in that thread that I-9 customer service is bad, I have to disagree vehemently. I always get someone by phone when I call or an email reply with a few business days for less pressing questions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast