Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Leaky Continental Trail Kings..

Converted to tubeless today using Stan's sealant. A line of holes appeared all around the tires right where the tread would join the sidewalls. Whole bunch of little pinholes. All look to have finally sealed, have re-inflated the tires once (rear went completely flat in 30 minutes the first time around), and they feel to be holding air this time. They only have maybe 20 miles or so on them, practically new tires.
    Is this normal for a first time sealing a non tubeless tire? Or something strange with this particular set?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sounds normal to me. Assuming they were seated correctly, keep them properly inflated and ride a few more times. If still slight leakage, maybe add a bit more sealant. My Contis needed about 3-4 oz the first time.

mtbr member
    Won't be a ble to actually ride them until this Saturday. Been sloshing the sealant around in them every few minutes, still going flat. They're sealed around the bead and stem, everything is coming out of the lines of holes around the sidewalls.
    Did run across some other threads about this when I posted this one (didn't show up in the search). Looks like this may be pretty common with Contis. I'll keep working with them, hopefully they'll seal finally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah the non-protection Contis are supposedly pretty leaky. I put a Protection TK 2.4 on my wife's 26" bike and it sealed and held air perfectly with no pinhole leaks.

mtbr member
    If they continue to cause a problem I'll just put tubes back in them (sealant in the tubes maybe) and go on that way until I need new tires, then try it again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Had similar problems with my crossride wheels. Ended up adding a couple extra layers of gorilla tape to the rim which fixed the leaking.

Sometimes it also helps to inflate up to 40-50 psi for awhile to keep them pressurized while swishing the stans around. You don't necesarily need to wait for the trails to ride. You can ride around the neighborhood just to spin the tires around.

mtbr member
    I'm about to use two cans of that raingutter spray sealant in my Continentals to keep air in them.....

mtbr member
    I put 40psi in them and they spouted several leaks again, but all have apparently sealed. Will keep an eye on them and keep sloshing the sealant around in them.
    Weird thing, the front tire had a good size thorn hole in the tread which the shop that did the conversion never even noticed. Guess it sealed almost immediately, now if I can get the pin holes to do the same, I'm good to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    I'm about to use two cans of that raingutter spray sealant in my Continentals to keep air in them.....
    Lol, that should do the trick. Or squirt them full of expanding foam and maybe work like a bib mousse.

mtbr member
    Speaking of a mousse.. Wonder why they don't make them for mtn bike tires. Expensive, but guaranteed no flats in dirt bike tires.

two wheel whore
    I gave up on the TK. Mine are the non-protection version. It'd lose pressure over a few days. I've put at least 4-5oz of Stans over 200 miles. Its a shame since they are pretty good tires

mtbr member
    I don't mind them losing pressure over a few days really, just so long as I don't have to stop and pump them up every mile or 2 on the trail.
    If I get another set of Contis, I'll be sure and get the protected versions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    tubes. just sayin

rog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    tubes. just sayin

rog
    If they refuse to work I'll go back to tubes to wear them out. Maybe put some sealant in the tubes. As many Locust trees and various other thorn producing plants as there are around here, flats are a common occurrence. Not so much concerned about the weight factor as the flat proofing, and so far this seems to be counter productive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyTom View Post
    If they refuse to work I'll go back to tubes to wear them out. Maybe put some sealant in the tubes. As many Locust trees and various other thorn producing plants as there are around here, flats are a common occurrence. Not so much concerned about the weight factor as the flat proofing, and so far this seems to be counter productive.
    heh, ya I used to live/ride on the cape. wicked thorny in places. tubes injected with stans worked wonders. used to make em and sell em at the shop. even had folks calling me to mail em out they worked so well. run light (non tubeless tires), 700x 40-45c tubes (much lighter than 29er specific tubes, cheaper, and fill 2+ inch wide tires just fine). add stans and still pretty light.

oh and not messy, easy to pump up/seat. every time.

rog

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    take out the Stan's and use Caffe Latex or the New Orange Peel stuff. both are designed to coat and seal the whole tire not just the tread area. Stan's stays in the tread area by centrifugal force so the only way to coat sidewall and bead is to manually slosh it around which wont always get 100% coverage.

The Stan's WILL work eventually, add like 3x's, as much as normal. This is not just for extra coverage but to cover what is lost oozing out the pin holes. Pump up the like 40lbs then just ride around the street hitting potholes and such to slosh it up in the tire. hang the bike so there's no pressure on the tires over night.. pump and ride the next day.. may take like a week. Conti Tires are awesome, but I went to Caffe latex because of them. the worst one I had took 3 days to seal up doing the over fill,ride,hang process even with Caffe but once they did they never lost any air unless I got punctures. I get like 6-8 thorns in a tire on a usual ride in one park. Will loose like 3-5lbs of pressure over the ride as you loose a bit while the sealant is working.

One other thing, if you were running tubes in the tires before, or brandie new tires, you need to wipe out the inside of the rim and tire before sealant as the powder stuff they use to keep the rubber from sticking hinders the sealant from working properly.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Pretty typical...my Spechy tires took a week to finally stop loosing air. Some tires are more porous than others especially lighter ones.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    Next mounted Specialized SWorks Fast Traks and ran out of Stans on the bike wheel.
    Through it on there dry so I could adjust shifting etc. Next day, still holding same pressure. Very impressive.

No way my Continentals would do that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    take out the Stan's and use Caffe Latex or the New Orange Peel stuff. both are designed to coat and seal the whole tire not just the tread area. Stan's stays in the tread area by centrifugal force so the only way to coat sidewall and bead is to manually slosh it around which wont always get 100% coverage.

The Stan's WILL work eventually, add like 3x's, as much as normal. This is not just for extra coverage but to cover what is lost oozing out the pin holes. Pump up the like 40lbs then just ride around the street hitting potholes and such to slosh it up in the tire. hang the bike so there's no pressure on the tires over night.. pump and ride the next day.. may take like a week. Conti Tires are awesome, but I went to Caffe latex because of them. the worst one I had took 3 days to seal up doing the over fill,ride,hang process even with Caffe but once they did they never lost any air unless I got punctures. I get like 6-8 thorns in a tire on a usual ride in one park. Will loose like 3-5lbs of pressure over the ride as you loose a bit while the sealant is working.

One other thing, if you were running tubes in the tires before, or brandie new tires, you need to wipe out the inside of the rim and tire before sealant as the powder stuff they use to keep the rubber from sticking hinders the sealant from working properly.
    I mitigate this by putting the tire on a box for twenty mins and then turning over.

mtbr member
    Will shoot some more sealant in them and see if they finish sealing. They're close, still loosing air, but not nearly as fast as before. Looks like it will work eventually. I'll keep after it for a while, for the experience value if nothing else.

Keep on Rockin...
    The Contis that I used took a long time to fully seal.

It was weird as I couldn't tell where I was loosing air. After a number of rides they did eventually seal.

Other tires I've owned were never that finicky.

mtbr member
    I have two sets of 29er non-protection Trail Kings and had the same problem on one tire. The other three, no problem at all. After a few weeks, I gave up on the problem child and decided to use a tube. Upon removing, I could see lines of white dots on the inside where the tread meets the sidewall. Almost a year later, I still have a tube in that tire.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Think I've about got both of mine to seal pretty well. Finally getting to ride today so I'll see how they do out in the real world. They held air overnight, so should (hopefully) be good for a few hours on the trail.

mtbr member
    Bring a pump and good luck. Remembering back, mine would hold air for a few miles on the trail, then start leaking again.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    I will, got my floor pump and buddy has a good mini pump in case one gets low while away from the truck. Riding area I'll be at is a 5 mile loop trail with some shorter sections mixed in, so a good place to see how they do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast