mtbr member

Layback post or straight ?

My dogs & my wife (I have no kids) have agreed to buy me a new seat post for father's day.

I am getting a Thomson. My question: Layback or straight ? Is the layback post designed to get your weight further back over the rear wheel or just stretch you out in the cockpit more ? Or both ?

I don't feel cramped at all on my bike, so I'm leaning toward the straight post. but, I sure am starting to notice more layback posts on the trails lately. Any quick advice before I grab one at my LBS ?

Master of the Obvious
    Its supposed to be about fit. On your current post is you seat mounted in the middle of the rails? if so go with a straight post, if your seat is pushed back from the middle get the laid back. if your seat is pushed all the forward get a new bike that fits.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    ^^^ this ^^^
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Paste eater
    As a general rule of thumb think of it this way, when your crank/pedal is at the 3 O'clock position, you want your knee cap, ball of foot and pedal spindle all lined up.

I have long legs and femurs so I often need a set back to compensate. I also prefer to be slightly back from the position described above. I tend to run a short stem with a setback.

mtbr member
    Another thing to look at is if your current seat post has an offset clamp. My seat post has a ~25mm offset clamp and the Thompson set back seat post has ~20mm total offset. So for me it worked in the opposite way that I wanted it to. I needed about 5mm more rearward adjustment so I ended up getting a new saddle with slightly more forward set rails effectivley moving the seat rearward.