LaceMine29

Printable View

• 12-01-2012
    titusquasi
    LaceMine29
    I'm sure this has been covered before but I wanted to offer a recommendation for LaceMine29 wheels. I just received my wheels which consist of my CK hubs laced to Flow EX rims with DT spokes and nips. I have yet to mount and ride them but my initial impression is as good as it gets. The tension "sounds" as even as I've ever heard from a wheel...both sides of both wheels. I'm usually doing good to keep tension fairly even on the drive side rear and disc side front while the slack side tends to have variances. Not these wheels. Ping, ping, ping, ping...very little change in pitch from spoke to spoke.

Additionally, I thought I knew how I wanted the wheelset built. But, after an excessive number of questions and emails from myself and a high level of patience from the builder, I was given a couple recommendations that differed from my initial thoughts. Flow EX instead of i23 due to the tires I liked to run. DT A3 spokes instead of standard double butted fair due to my size and riding requirements.

I can't wait to get the Covert 29 built and give these hoops a good thrashing! Moab next spring...bring it on!!!
  • 12-01-2012
    evasive
    Yup, both my bikes are rolling on Mike's wheels. Good wheels, good prices, good service, but you hit the nail on the head for why I really keep going back: I doubt anyone else has more experience with the options for wheels the burlier end of the 29er spectrum.
  • 12-01-2012
    pimpbot
    Third that...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    I'm sure this has been covered before but I wanted to offer a recommendation for LaceMine29 wheels. I just received my wheels which consist of my CK hubs laced to Flow EX rims with DT spokes and nips. I have yet to mount and ride them but my initial impression is as good as it gets. The tension "sounds" as even as I've ever heard from a wheel...both sides of both wheels. I'm usually doing good to keep tension fairly even on the drive side rear and disc side front while the slack side tends to have variances. Not these wheels. Ping, ping, ping, ping...very little change in pitch from spoke to spoke.

Additionally, I thought I knew how I wanted the wheelset built. But, after an excessive number of questions and emails from myself and a high level of patience from the builder, I was given a couple recommendations that differed from my initial thoughts. Flow EX instead of i23 due to the tires I liked to run. DT A3 spokes instead of standard double butted fair due to my size and riding requirements.

I can't wait to get the Covert 29 built and give these hoops a good thrashing! Moab next spring...bring it on!!!

Mike built me a low rent but good XT with NOS Bontrager Mustang rim, DT Double butted spokes for a great price. The wheel has been rock solid on my hardtail. It hasn't needed a lick of adjusting in the 3 years I've been riding it, and that is saying something under my 208 pound behind.
  • 12-02-2012
    Jfloren
    I've been riding my Lacemine29 wheels (Stans Flow with DT350 hubs) for three months now. They are fantastic. The difference was immediately obvious, and is also apparent whenever I ride a different bike with inferior wheels. Mike not only has top-notch technical skill but also was very patient and helpful with me as I hemmed and hawed over the options, and he helped steer me away from my initial ideas and towards what was the right wheelset for my desire, size, and riding style.
  • 12-02-2012
    bholwell
    I also have nothing but great things to say about wheels built by Mike Curiak. I normally purchase machine built wheels, 're-tension' them, de-stress them, and do a final truing. Wheels built by Mike obviously don't require these final steps (which sometimes take me 30-40 min. or more). But the biggest difference in my mind is that Mike really takes the time to identify what the customer needs, and the components that will work best for him/her. This is something he doesn't necessarily have to do, but you can tell that he wants his customers to be completely satisfied by their purchase and exceed their expectations.
  • 12-02-2012
    Miker J
    Yep... good stuff.

I have quite a few wheels built by Mike and they are going strong.

A old style, super light Stan's 355, was built up on a King SS hub for me quite a few years ago by Mike. After many brutal miles of SS bashing over NE rocks, under my 180# and the thing is still going strong. I can't believe it. I want it to die so I can have the hub built up on a wider rim but don't have the heart to tear it down as it is still going strong.
  • 12-03-2012
    ranier
    The King/Arch wheels I got from him have been spot on since the day I slapped them on my RIP, going on two years now. Good shiit!
  • 12-03-2012
    mtroy
    We are a couple of years on a set of MC wheels now and other than some alloy nips breaking, they have been true and steady. That is under a 240lb rider.
  • 12-04-2012
    mikesee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    We are a couple of years on a set of MC wheels now and other than some alloy nips breaking, they have been true and steady. That is under a 240lb rider.

Thanks, all, for the ups.

Mike--are these the JeffJ wheels?

Did the nips break JRA, or when twisted?

Any pattern to the breakage--front/rear, tight side or loose?

Any info helps to keep improving, incrementally.

Cheers,

MC
  • 12-04-2012
    mtroy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Cheers,

MC

They are the same! I will page him to the post here...I am not sure of the details.
  • 12-04-2012
    jimithng23
    I've been running 3 different wheelsets built by Mike for nearly 4 years now. XC racing, mild-XC, low speed tech-grunts, and high speed Moab chunk haven't phased 'em one bit. The oldest set - Hopes/Flows - are as true as the day they showed up.

The thing I appreciate most, other than his high quality product, is his willingness to help. I've not had a single question go unanswered when working with him on a build. Heck, he even guided me along while during my last bike build, and he had nothing to gain in doing so.

I'll never go elsewhere for a set of wheels.
  • 12-04-2012
    jeffj
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

Cheers,

MC

I have broken two nipples on the rear wheel. I would have to really look close to see if I can find which spoke the first one broke on, but IIRC, it may have been a nipple on a drive side spoke. It happened a while back so the memory is a little fuzzy. The latest one is a braking spoke on the non-drive side. I know this because I decided to replace any more broken nipples with silver nipples to be able to see if there is going to be a pattern.

Both times I replaced the nipple and brought it back to the same tension as the others and then did a few VERY minor adjustments to get things back to normal.

I don't recall noticing the exact moment either nipple broke, just discovered it afterward.

Edit: OK, it just came back to me about the first one. The spoke had a small kink in it about an inch and a half above the nipple like it had been had possibly taken a rock strike. I'll snap a pic of it tomorrow.
  • 12-04-2012
    sbk99
    My old hope/flows are still going strong after almost 3 years. They were delivered true from day one and have held up really well. And I weigh 225. Mike is patient thru the ordering process and address any concerns...I just ordered some enves/kings from Mike now they can't come quick enough!
  • 12-18-2012
    titusquasi
    2 Attachment(s)
    Pics of the wheelset waiting on a frame. I'm really liking the concept behind the DT A3 triple butted spokes. This is something I would have never thought of myself. Wheelset weighed 2060g with tape and valves.
  • 12-19-2012
    Ricky J
    Subject Matter Expert
    Mike's experience with all manner and application of 29er wheelsets was the key for me- it doesn't just build a better wheel, it keeps me from building ones that are wrong for my use. That is what separates him from the local wheelbuilders who will put together whatever you want but often lack firsthand knowledge of specific builds. I have been wrong with component choices before so critical feedback (or pushback) is vital!
  • 12-20-2012
    rodgerdodger
    Mike built up some burly wheels for my DH bike (lenz PBJ). dt440, salsa gordo, alpine spokes.

They came out super nice, I'm about to order another set from him for my tracer29.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...028_095858.jpg

RandyBoy gave me neg rep for this post WTF!:madman:
  • 12-21-2012
    Miker J
    Interesting...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    Pics of the wheelset waiting on a frame. I'm really liking the concept behind the DT A3 triple butted spokes. This is something I would have never thought of myself. Wheelset weighed 2060g with tape and valves.

What advantage are you getting over a double butted like a DT Comp 2.0/1.8?

I've never had a spoke fail at the hub-spoke interface.

Kings are what I run and actually have the same pewter set that are probably over 10 years old. Do these tripple butted fit OK in regular King flange/holes?

Thanks.
  • 12-21-2012
    evasive
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky J View Post
    Mike's experience with all manner and application of 29er wheelsets was the key for me- it doesn't just build a better wheel, it keeps me from building ones that are wrong for my use. That is what separates him from the local wheelbuilders who will put together whatever you want but often lack firsthand knowledge of specific builds. I have been wrong with component choices before so critical feedback (or pushback) is vital!

Well put. That's pretty much what I meant, but you expressed it much better. Lots of places can build you a quality wheel, including my friend's shop. I've had good wheels from there, but as solid as they are, they'll be laced by someone who doesn't care for 29ers, doesn't ride them, and doesn't have any personal experience with the combination I spec. In hindsight, I've made some bad choices, too. When I build a dirt jumper, I'll support the locals. But for my 'real' bikes, I'm sticking with Mike.
  • 12-27-2012
    titusquasi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    What advantage are you getting over a double butted like a DT Comp 2.0/1.8?

I've never had a spoke fail at the hub-spoke interface.

Kings are what I run and actually have the same pewter set that are probably over 10 years old. Do these tripple butted fit OK in regular King flange/holes?

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay...back from Christmas.

I've had spokes break at the j-bend. I think this is what these spokes are designed to eliminate. Maybe they add a bit of stiffness...don't know. Mike just said that for my weight (230), bike (140 mm AM FS), and wheel size (29) this spoke would be the most durable. That's the magic word for me.

The j-bend is over 2.3 in size. I don't think Mike drilled my hubs so they must fit Kings. The hubs are 8 years old and run like new. Love 'em!