Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013

ks lev dropper post sag ?

so I just got my new 125m ks lev dropper seat post for my niner rip 9 took it to winter park co went on a 10 mile ride seat post worked great I was thinking this is the way to mountain bike so much more control moving on bike and I have better balance, I am very happy. so got home and took bike out next day for a ride on my home turf and seat post is sagging 3/4 of an inch ?? starts to move before the rear suspension moves ?? and if I put my hole 180lbs on it it moves 3/4 of an inch just putting my elbo on it it moves about a quarter of an inch. if I lift bike by the seat , the post moves up about half an inch ?? so I checked the cabel first with cabel adjusted totally loose and ks red cover off I see the cabel all the way up in chamber still sag. i removed the end cover , and the inner cabel is hooked up looks to be working right. I also checked to make sure the end cover was tight before removing it , because the LBS said the only problem they have ever seen with the ks lev is a loose end cover. any help would be great because the tech department at ks is closed until tuesday? and I want to go on a ride before my vacation is over thanks for the help!!

mtbr member
    Ever get an answer to this? had the exact same thing happen t me on a ride yesterday.
    Go get that KOM "You Deserve" - http://www.digitalepo.com/index.php

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I am experiencing the exact same issue. I get about a 1/2'' of play/movement in the post.

mtbr member
    mine works great. did you check air pressure?

mtbr member
    Waiting to hear back from lev, a little research googling around I've found a few folks complaining of the same issue, sounds like it has to be sent back to the factory, good news is everyone experienced very fast turn around.

Mine worked great for about a month, went bad during a ride in really cold weather yesterday. Moved the post up about a inch, so when it sagged when I sat on it, it was at the correct height and was able to finish my ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Having the same problem. Doesn't do it every time I sit on it. But can feel it move down sometimes. I've been just standing up and pushing the lever, pops back up. Stays for a while, sometimes, sometimes doesn't. Just got it back from KS as it stopped moving. Might have to send it back. This would be the third time. When it works it's great. Riding without it is not the same.

mtbr member
    Just to follow up, I'm sending my post back to LEV, they said they usually turn these around in a day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    so sent in my lev , after finding out art cyclery would have sent me a new one because it was only a week old . But anyway sent it in to KS in California shipped it Thursday and got it back a week later I live in colroado. I was told the cartridge went bad. they installed a new on and now I have 3 rides on it and if feels very stiff working great ! Im not sure if I could ever go back to a bike with no dropper post and as much as people say they work on the seat post I may buy a back up ? just hard to spend $315.00 for another lev to sit on the shelf.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So I have had my KS Lev dropper for six month now and I love it but when I pick my bike up by the seat the seatpost extends about about a half inch or so. Is that normal or should it extend to it's highest position when the lever is activated?

Thx

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    that is not normal my lev did this too right out of the box then sent it in and stays where you leave it. I also pick up my bike by the seat and post stays in place now

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That's what I thought. Time to send it in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I've been having the same problem sent it 2 weeks to the day and been emailing them about it was told last Tuesday that it'll come in the end of the week and still don't have it they said the reason for the delay is they were at the INTERBIKE, guess they closed the shop. It's my third time sending it in and it's really frustrating cause I've paid a lot of money for it and keep on spending money every time I send it in, hope they fix it right this time.

mtbr member
    Been two weeks to the day since they received my post, starting to get pissed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It has been a month now since I sent in my LEV been talking to Ron Easton of KS I don't know why they put this guy in charge of customer service because there is no customer service at all. Every time I talk to him he seems not interested on what you are saying and put you on speaker phone and you can hardly understand what he's saying with all the background noise dunno if he's doing it purposely cause he doesn't answers to your question and keep on repeating his answer " we're still waiting for the part from Taiwan so we can repair your post" this is his only answer he has on all of my question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Having the same problem with my KS Lev 125mm post with the post extending 1/4 inch when lifting the seat and dropping down when the seat is let go. The post is only 3 months old and there is a fair bit of side to side movement.

mtbr member
    I would wait for them to confirm they have parts in house before shipping back unless you got a spare post you can use, yet another week has gone by, no ETA, waiting on a ship from China

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    mine doesnt slip down - but it sticks in down position and hangs up about an inch from full extend - been that way from day 1 - shop where I bought was going to service it - but all they did was add air pressure and tell me I torqued it too tight - BS - as they installed it and torqued it - i plan to contact KS - as I wont ever go back to said shop...
    just wish someone would make one of these that works as advertised with NO issues -

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Got an email from them this morning telling me that the parts they're waitng is coming in next week from Taiwan. Hope it's true cause 4 weeks ago they've emailed me and told me my post will be shipped by the end of the week, hope they're not just saying it so I don't have to bug them.

mtbr member
    And yet another week go by.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Finally, finally after 7 long weeks it finally came last night, hope they fix it really good this time, tired of sending it back to them. Hope you get yours soon TahoeBC.

mtbr member
    Mine showed up today, hope it lasts more than two months this time, cause this was a major bummer. I just regret believing there lies of when it would ship and bought another post and quick release sooner, lost several weeks of not riding my new bike and now snow has closed down the high country.

GMM
    mtbr member
    Yikes, wish I had seen this thread last week. Just ordered a KS lev but was thinking of getting a Reverb. I know they alll have problems, but I hear most shops can service the Reverb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Goog Luck GMM hope you got a better post than we did. I just used my old post didn't lose any riding time just the hassle of stopping put the post down and up.

mtbr member
    Can anyone tell me where the stupid serial number is for this? My lev just started sinking and I need to send it back. The on-line RA form needs a serial number but for the life of me, I can find it. It is not on the box. Do I have to remove the post first to find it?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    You have to pull out the whole post and it's half way down the bottom. If I were you call them first if they have the parts cause what happened to me it took them 7 weeks before I got it back telling me that they don't have the parts and it's coming from Taiwan.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Add me to the list of people with this problem. Have had lev for 6 months. 2nd time back to KS for repair

mtbr member
    mine, two months old, just shows very little side play.

very consistent 'til now.

cross fingers !!!

Stucco Bucket
    yep mine wnet bad this weekend. sad reading. Lucky me I still have my joplin..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nevermind.

mtbr member
    I have been experiencing the post getting stuck when trying to push it down. I have had to keep trying and pressing and releasing the lever until it would go. Then it would work for a while before happening again. Then yesterday the sagging started! I have had the Reverb on my bikes for several years and only had issues one time when the hydraulic line busted in a fall. Then I had to ride with the seat down the rest of the day. It sucked. I have really liked the LEV, but this is disappointing!
    "Stay Upright!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just got a lev 150mm, and with less than 5hrs of riding it's acting like a suspension post. Checked the air pressure which was fine. The seat sags about 1.5-2 inches. I was having reverb problems and thought I'd try the lev. Is there a reliable dropper out there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have over 1 year on my Specialized Blacklite with 0 issues. Several riders in my area have the same experience. Its only a 3 position though.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Did you get the 29-er specific model, that may be the problem.
    Trailwrecker at large

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

I can't believe it

Mine (31.6 x 125) was garbage right out of the box. Post extended by picking up on the seat and compressed 3/4" when slight pressure applied. Tech guy @ KS was familiar with the problem - said something about air in the hydraulics. Apparently there is NO quality control at their facilities. Air your complaints (no pun intended) on their Facebook page (KS USA) - I have. Maybe they will be embarrassed into providing a better, QUALITY product in the future.

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

After waiting 5 weeks for my drop post to be returned due to a faulty cartridge (which happened "right out of the box") I finally received and installed the post. Then, after less than a 1 hour ride, the post would no longer retract! Upon inspection, I saw that the inner actuator cable was slack making the actuator inoperable when the remote lever was pressed. Once again, shoddy workmanship and/or quality control.

KS USA, you claim to have good quality control and customer service. I have yet to see or experience any of it.
    Last edited by jiw71; 01-11-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: additional info

Stucco Bucket
    Just got off the phone with them. Looks like I wont be riding my $300 seatpost with 5 rides on it till next year. Parts are on a boat somewhere coming from Taiwan. ******* tech guy didnt seem too interested in helping. no eta, no nothin..
    First and last time Ill buy this product.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    my lev has been working flawlessly for about 6 months. the other day it started to stick in the up position. requires a second attempt of weight on the saddle in order for it drop. does not seem to drop as smooth as it once did. this first started to happen on a muddy ride. it does not happen every time, just occassionaly. any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    the_owl yup that's their customer service. Who'd you talk to, Ron Easton? He wasn't helpful too when I talked to him and I think he purposely put you in speakerphone so you'll be frustrated and hang up. I don't know who put him in charge os customer service and if you wanna talk with someone else there's no one to talk to

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    all these threads should be copied and pasted to KS USA Facebook page.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Guess I can look forward to a long wait time and poor customer service!
    -KS Lev 31.6 X 125mm (purchased in July)
    -Post extended slightly when picked up by saddle right out of the box but locked out firm.
    -No problems until 2 weeks ago. 3/4"+ of saggyness when loaded & extends fully when picked up by the saddle & gets worse with each ride.
    I contacted KS this morning, hopefully I will have something positive to follow up with.

*Update*
    I just got off the phone with their service department and was given an estimated turn around time of 3-4 weeks. They are still waiting on parts to come in from overseas. Ron was nice enough to share with me that they are not servicing the cartridges but actually replacing them with new ones. Apparently they do not have the capability of rebuilding/bleeding them because they are "sealed" from the factory. He also confirmed that the sag is caused by air in the hydraulics. Since they are not rebuilding the cartridge, he suggested that I continue to ride the post (if possible) and check back in a few weeks.
    Last edited by SMW08003; 12-04-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Update!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Same problem I had "right out of the box". KS USA still insist that they have excellent quality control. From the many complaints here concerning defective posts I think I'm a little skeptical of their claim..............to say the least.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Add me to the list of people with Lev problems. Rode it for a few months then it got squishy. Sent it to my LBS who sent it in to KS but that was weeks ago. I haven't been bugging them as it is -34C some days so can't ride anyway. Be a different story if the weather was good.
    Last edited by 4212darren; 12-08-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    A bicycle will take you to fantastic places....if you let it.

Ibis fan since '08 now rolling on the big wheeled Ripley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I had the same problem, all you need to do is take the post out of the bike and check that the cap on the bottom is tight. It worked wonders for me!

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    thanks for the tip! I wish it was that simple. The hydraulic cartridge was defective (air inside) right from the factory. Apparently these are sealed cartridges that cannot be repaired - replaced only. Sent mine back to KS USA in early December - should have it back some time next year....................I hope.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nommader View Post
    my lev has been working flawlessly for about 6 months. the other day it started to stick in the up position. requires a second attempt of weight on the saddle in order for it drop. does not seem to drop as smooth as it once did. this first started to happen on a muddy ride. it does not happen every time, just occassionaly. any suggestions?
    I had the same issue yopu are having about 2 months in. Like you, it only happened occasionally. Usually at the beginning of the ride. Then it would loosen up and work well through the rest of the day. Then the thing started to Sag. I just sent it back last week for replacement/repair.
    "Stay Upright!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dubinjs View Post
    I had the same issue yopu are having about 2 months in. Like you, it only happened occasionally. Usually at the beginning of the ride. Then it would loosen up and work well through the rest of the day. Then the thing started to Sag. I just sent it back last week for replacement/repair.
    as did I. i tried the youtube video for repair/maintenance first but i could not get my strap wrench to grip around the small internal stanchion tube. there is no way to untread it without a strap wrench. unsure what i would have been able to find if i had. the video really does not indicate what to look for. put things back together and the internal "cake box string" broke. decided that was enough and sent it back to ks for warranty repair. it was received on the 12/16. apparently there is no emailer confirmation that goes out. so it forced be to call on 12/20. got a very generic response that "parts are delayed from shipping backup". i felt it was a go away answer because he did not ask for any of my information or rta # to find out what the problem was. so, then how do you even know i needed parts? Anyway, will see how long it takes, i was told about 3 weeks.

Your killing my Strava
    Quote Originally Posted by MFlint View Post
    I had the same problem, all you need to do is take the post out of the bike and check that the cap on the bottom is tight. It worked wonders for me!

Hope this helps
    Yep this is what I did and it worked great for me
    We will never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I sent my Lev in to get serviced back in November for the same types of issue that everyone else seems to be having. It was only 6 months old at the time.

I finally got my post back today, it took about 6 weeks, after being told it would take 3, but that's not even the biggest problem.

When I sent the post in I sent it back with the thumb lever and cable because the little spring that goes under the hook had a kink in it and I wanted them to replace it while they were servicing the post.

I even mentioned this in the form you fill out when you sent the post in.

Anyway today my post finally came in, but who ever boxed it up didn't send the thumb lever / cable back with the post. What the **** am I suppose to do with a dropper post that can't drop?

After waiting 6 weeks to get the post back this is really pathetic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just copy and paste your post to KS USA pronto. I got my post back via USPS in 2 days. (although they had it for a month)

Too Much Fun

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Mine as well...

I was loving this post until last weekend when it started to pogo on me too. When I sit on it it's got about 1-2" of sag. I raised the post to compensate, but this is bumming me out. This post has NOT seen that much milage. It's on a pretty new bike.

I'm waiting to hear back from them to see how the turnaround time will be, hoping it's fast and the post stays solid going forward.

I had a Reverb, early model, and while I had to bleed it periodically, it was a really solid post for me, over several years. Sold the damn thing and now I wish I hadn't...

Come on KS, show me some good CS!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    May 2012

Some Help

You are all frustrated and I think I can help. I've had my LEV since before there were bad reviews and I felt I was the only one having problems. Sent it back to KS once or twice (can't remember now because I've had other posts that I had to return), then finally started learning to repair things myself.

I recently had my cartridge explode on a ride - started to sag 3/4" like a suspension post, then a loud "pop" and sank all the way down. Removed the bottom cap and saw oil dumping out. Immediately sent an e-mail to Ron Easton (who actually has been pretty helpful to me in the past - sorry you guys are having a bad experience though) explaining the issue. I then got ready to box it up and thought "let me just check this thing out." I ended up finding the actual cap to the cartridge was partially unthreaded so I removed it all the way and discovered the internals are quite simple and similar to suspension forks so I said "F@#k it, I'll try this." Ended up using 5wt fork oil and refilling the cartridge, making sure to eliminate any possible air, reassembled it, and now it's good as new. Strange to me that KS doesn't do this however I'm sure a new cartridge is a better guarantee against air in the system.

I've been contemplating posting a step-by-step photo demo on how to do this. When I saw this post, I realized it may be more needed than I thought. Recently, my buddy's LEV started sinking (He bought it used from a guy) and we are likely going to be taking a stab at it in the next week or so. My question to you guys: Would it be helpful for me to photo the process and post it here? Should I post it somewhere else? If there's some interest, I'll do it. Just let me know.

PS: Earlier a guy expressed frustration with trying to remove the actuator using the strap wrench to hold the inner rod still while unthreading it - I had the same problem (kept slipping) and ultimately accomplished this by using a piece of broken strap wrench pinched around the rod with channel locks. I was then able to loosen it. You get better grip that way. I've replaced the inner cable approximately 1,003 times and have gotten quite good at this - I can add some tips on that to my photo demo as well if there is any interest out there. (promise I'll make that post more to the point and less wordy).

-Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    very useful information - thanks. However in my particular case my drop post never worked properly from the beginning. I don't want to - and shouldn't have to f&%k with a brand new item out of the box. KS Lev, in my opinion, certainly dropped the ball as far as quality control and customer service is concerned. (Turn around time the first time was 5 weeks) Ron @ KS has been courteous on the phone but that doesn't help when I have a $400.00 post that I can't use because its in for repairs. My post has been sent back -twice now- at my expense. (First time for a leaky cartridge, second time for a loose inner actuator cable.

By the way KS has a YouTube video showing a rebuild of the Lev: KS LEV Service - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I agree. New things shouldn't have problems. The YouTube video does a great job of demonstrating how to replace the inner actuator cable but does not go into disassembly of the cartridge and oil replacement (which resolves the sagging) - that's what I'm offering here for anyone who wants to attempt this on their own rather than wait for turn around - understandable if you don't want to and totally agreed that one shouldn't need to straight out of the box.

Also, Ron agreed to send me the internal cables and end barrels rather than ship my post when I had a broken inner cable for the first time. Hating to wait for things, I then found ways to avoid having to make any phone calls or wait for replies to e-mails.

For future reference, the internal cable replacement is pretty easy and I found ways to have an endless supply of cable and isolator pellets to do this. (You can reuse the metal end barrels, but you need to use a lighter to melt the old isolator pellet out of there before passing the new cable through).

1 mm Braided Kevlar Kite String:

100 ft of 250 lb Braided Kevlar Line Outdoor Camping Fishing Survival Kites | eBay

"Isolator Pellets" This is bean bag filler - they're a little big but you can easily snip them down smaller with wire cutters to get the size you need:

Darice Bean Bag Filler Plastic Pellets, 16 oz: Crafts : Walmart.com

If you prefer the actual parts, I recently discovered this website but I have not purchased these parts and don't know if the grub (set) screw is included with the end barrel.

Barrel:

Kind Shock Lev Barrel Cable Clamp Each

Cable:

Kind Shock Lev Kevlar Link Cable

-Chris

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    After I get over my initial disgust with KS, I will eventually do self-repairs. Once again. thanks for all the additional useful info. (got it bookmarked)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Ks usa

Here's a followup on my experience with the KS Lev seat post: Post was defective "right out of the box"- sagged when seated and extended when the bike was lifted by the seat. Sent back and after a 5 week turnaround the seat was returned. Took a 1 hour ride and the seat would not retract. (inner actuator cable came loose) Sent back again. The drop post arrived at the KS facility Thursday Jan 16. Spoke to Ron Easton @ KS this morning and was told it would take 2 weeks before it was looked at! I would sure like an explanation from KS USA who claim to have quality products and good customer service. I'm posting on their Facebook page (KS USA) but getting no reply. I gotta think that they are getting deluged with returned defective posts. Why else would it take 2 weeks before my post was even looked at? Buyer beware!

reply from KS USA on Facebook: Hi Greg, Sorry to hear you are still experiencing a problem with your post. I spoke to Ron and he will be giving you a call today.

Ron did call and repaired the post that day. I received it about a week later. Well, its now been about 3 months since my post was repaired and returned. I haven't had too many opportunities to try the post here at home (brutal winter with lots of snow) but I did manage to spend a week in North Carolina during March. The post has worked fine with no major problems. . I probably have a total of about 100 hours on the post to date. It now does what it is supposed to do! I am actually starting to like the KS Lev drop post.http://ficdn.mtbr.com/images/smilies/smile5.gif
    Last edited by jiw71; 04-16-2014 at 04:01 PM. Reason: new info

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Don't know why I feel so compelled to write in, but exact same performance with my post. 10th ride today, and the performance was pretty bad. Dropping at least 2 inches when I sit on it. Will discuss w/my local LBS and see what they can sort out with KS. The power of shopping local and having a steller bike shop.

On a side note, I dealt with similar teething issues with my Reverb on another bike. However, after my last warranty, it has been issue free for 2 years. I suspect that this will be a similar issue.

What I foresee going on is poor QA/QC at the MFG site. These are new technology, each with specific critical attributes. Given the consumers never ending appetite for new designs, it is likely a struggle for MFG to keep up. Also, keeping a company rep at sites is a very expensive proposition. Maybe final QC at KS WITH A SUPPLY OF BACK UP PARTS would be a bonus to consumers!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cakelly4 View Post
    ...disassembly of the cartridge and oil replacement (which resolves the sagging) - that's what I'm offering here for anyone who wants to attempt this on their own rather than wait for turn around...
    Could you elaborate? A step-by-step instruction would be great. Not asking for pics, because you've already assembled yours and hardly want to repeat the procedure, but some text description would be nice.

My 150mm Lev has started to sag a little, about 3-4 mm, and being in Ukraine I don't feel comfortable to send it to either Germany where I bought it, or to Taiwan to the factory and wait indefinitely, as well as risking to lose it in transit. I'd better service it myself (given that I feel comfortable servicing forks, but never tried more complicated stuff like a rear shock's damper internals). Worst case, I'll screw it up and will have to order a spare cartridge from Moscow for $70-80 shipped.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Shapirus - I was referring to one of my earlier posts on this thread. I have a buddy whose 125mm (I think) post is starting to sag and we may be tackling this procedure on his. If so, I'm going to take step-by-step photos of the process and I can post them here. I completely winged it the first time on my post and so trying to go back and explain that right now would be pretty inaccurate. If/when we do my friend's post, I'll try to document the entire procedure. I'm working this weekend and so it may have to happen next week some time, but I'll keep you updated for sure.

-Chris

PS: Interesting to know you can get a replacement cartridge - would be nice as a backup. Is this an online thing? Do you have a link?

mtbr member
    PS: Interesting to know you can get a replacement cartridge - would be nice as a backup. Is this an online thing? Do you have a link?
    KS LEV Oil Pressure Stick 150mm (A3102-150) | -

The "Н18188 Картридж KS LEV Oil Pressure Stick 150mm (A3102-150)" position seems to be it. I tried to search by the name or by the numbers, but couldn't find anything other than this website.

They sell online, but only offer shipping to Russia and the website is in russian only. I didn't try to contact them to find whether they will ship internationally and what payment methods they can accept.

mtbr member
    If/when we do my friend's post, I'll try to document the entire procedure. I'm working this weekend and so it may have to happen next week some time, but I'll keep you updated for sure.
    That will be very helpful, thanks.
    I may end up being too impatient to wait and go ahead and take mine apart before you do that, though. Did you at least learn any clear "dont's" while servicing your post?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus View Post
    Did you at least learn any clear "dont's" while servicing your post?
    Don't wear nice clothes.

Also, thanks for the link. Maybe one day I'll brush up on some Russian. Haha.

mtbr member
    You are all frustrated and I think I can help. I've had my LEV since before there were bad reviews and I felt I was the only one having problems. Sent it back to KS once or twice (can't remember now because I've had other posts that I had to return), then finally started learning to repair things myself.

I recently had my cartridge explode on a ride - started to sag 3/4" like a suspension post, then a loud "pop" and sank all the way down. Removed the bottom cap and saw oil dumping out. Immediately sent an e-mail to Ron Easton (who actually has been pretty helpful to me in the past - sorry you guys are having a bad experience though) explaining the issue. I then got ready to box it up and thought "let me just check this thing out." I ended up finding the actual cap to the cartridge was partially unthreaded so I removed it all the way and discovered the internals are quite simple and similar to suspension forks so I said "F@#k it, I'll try this." Ended up using 5wt fork oil and refilling the cartridge, making sure to eliminate any possible air, reassembled it, and now it's good as new. Strange to me that KS doesn't do this however I'm sure a new cartridge is a better guarantee against air in the system.

I've been contemplating posting a step-by-step photo demo on how to do this. When I saw this post, I realized it may be more needed than I thought. Recently, my buddy's LEV started sinking (He bought it used from a guy) and we are likely going to be taking a stab at it in the next week or so. My question to you guys: Would it be helpful for me to photo the process and post it here? Should I post it somewhere else? If there's some interest, I'll do it. Just let me know.

PS: Earlier a guy expressed frustration with trying to remove the actuator using the strap wrench to hold the inner rod still while unthreading it - I had the same problem (kept slipping) and ultimately accomplished this by using a piece of broken strap wrench pinched around the rod with channel locks. I was then able to loosen it. You get better grip that way. I've replaced the inner cable approximately 1,003 times and have gotten quite good at this - I can add some tips on that to my photo demo as well if there is any interest out there. (promise I'll make that post more to the point and less wordy).

-Chris
    Would be great to see how it's done. Just got mine back yesterday. Sent it at the beginning of December. I emailed them four times asking for the status. Not a single response! Then, it just shows up. We will see how it performs now.
    "Stay Upright!"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I know that this is not a solution to everyone's problem, but earlier on in this thread, someone stated that their post sagged and all they did was tighten the "cap" on the bottom of the post. I just did this today, and it solved my problem The cap had been unscrewed probably 3-5 full rotations. I tightened it and no more sag.

Again, I know a lot of you are experiencing this issue due to other reasons. I thought I was going to have to deal with KS and send it in for service. Instead I just found that the cap was slightly unscrewed from the post. I hope this saves a few of you some trouble.

mtbr member
    May 2012

LEV Rebuild

OK. I redid the cartridge in my buddy's post and it resolved the issue (his was not the simple cap tightening issue - I do recommend checking that first though). I'm getting ready to post the photos and I thought there was a way to post with instructions below each picture but I'm not seeing that. Anyone have any pointers on how to best post this? I have 66 photos which is way too many and will try to pear it down as best I can. Was hoping to have each step written below the picture. Is this possible?

-Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Are you uploading the pics from your computer, or linking from a sharing site like Photobucket? If linking, all you have to do is paste the link, and then add your description below(or above, before you post the link), leave some space so that there's a break between the pics, and then paste the link to the next, then add the description, and so on.

Will probably want top break the pics up into five or so separate posts though.

As in:

Here's a pic of my Stumpy

And then, here's where I could paste another pic in.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    "Will probably want top break the pics up into five or so separate posts though."

Awesome. Just signed up for PhotoBucket (I'm a little behind in this sort of thing). Last question: Why break it up into separate posts? Even if I pear down the photos a lot?

-Chris

mtbr member
    try both picture upload methods and choose which works best, but you sure do want to compose the post in a text editor first, then post it

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    "Will probably want top break the pics up into five or so separate posts though."

Awesome. Just signed up for PhotoBucket (I'm a little behind in this sort of thing). Last question: Why break it up into separate posts? Even if I pear down the photos a lot?

-Chris
    Just that a post with five or six pix in it, along with descriptions, gets a bit long to be scrolling through. Breaking it up, people can find their place easier, jump to the specific section they might want to see, without having to scroll through 40 or 50 pics. much easier to just have to scroll through five or six at a time, and then look in a the next post.

mtbr member
    May 2012

KS LEV Cartridge Breakdown

I previously had a step-by-step tutorial on how to fix the sag on the LEV here but I've since moved it to it's own thread. I deleted this one for simplicity whenever I make any edits to the thread.

Here's where you can find the instructions now:

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...ld-899659.html

Thanks,
    -Chris
    Last edited by cakelly4; 02-23-2014 at 10:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Well played Post Ninja! This really makes me want to get in there and muck around. I have a renewed confidence in the longevity of these oh so sweet life changing dropper gifts from heaven.

Any chance of a video version? A la Pink Bike Tech Tuesday style?

Also, would love to see similar for the other non-LEV Kind Shock posts.

Thank you Post Ninja!

(p.s. I would vote to start an entirely new thread in either the Tool Time forum or in the Shocks And Suspension forum. Not fair to hide this gem from the small wheel crowd!)

mtbr member
    Awesome. This doesn't look scary at all to try it at home.

I have one question though: when you refill the internals with oil, how do you position the inner shafts? Do you push them all the way down to the fully compressed state? How to make sure that the amount of oil is right?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus View Post
    Awesome. This doesn't look scary at all to try it at home.

I have one question though: when you refill the internals with oil, how do you position the inner shafts? Do you push them all the way down to the fully compressed state? How to make sure that the amount of oil is right?
    This question was asked before I updated the above post. My previous answer was based on a different method I was initially using. Now you can follow the steps as they are described above to get the best results. I've removed my previous answer to avoid confusion for others reading through the post.
    Last edited by cakelly4; 02-15-2014 at 10:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    DISCLAIMER: Ive done this procedure twice now.

...edit...

Good Luck

-Chris
    Awesome post (mine has been out for served for 3 weeks now). I suggest you copy and paste these instructions into a new thread so its easier to find. All your hard work shouldn't be buried on page 3!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    I suggest you copy and paste these instructions into a new thread so its easier to find. All your hard work shouldn't be buried on page 3!
    I think a separate post (thread) is a great idea but would love to get some feedback from anyone trying this at home first. I'll make appropriate edits on any confusing sections and touch it up a little if I have to before placing it in it's own thread.

Thanks,
    -Chris
    Last edited by cakelly4; 01-30-2014 at 02:49 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Just FYI to anyone considering servicing their LEV cartridge. I've worked on another one and even went back into my own in order to get more photos. I've updated my previous post on the LEV service with some new photos and slightly different techniques. I've also tried to clear up some of the previously confusing bits and added a couple of warnings.

-Chris

mtbr member
    May 2012

Final Edit on KS Cartridge Breakdown

I got some great tips from another MTBR member and revamped my above post on LEV Cartridge Service. I worked out all the kinks (went into my own post a few more times) and this technique now works really well if you follow the steps listed above. Again, let me know if any of you try this. Good luck.
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Dude you rock! I did this rebuild yesterday and it was rock solid on my ride today. It was super easy and took a little less then an hour.

One thing I would note, on step 14b, be careful not to put the rod too far into the cylinder on re-assembly. If you do you will have however much you put it in of free movement on the top of the post extension. You will need to pull it out and add more shock fluid and start it again.

Edit: one other note, if the black stopper comes off, step 11b, mine did on accident, you can get it back on be slightly beveling the edge of the rod and it will go back on with little problems. I used a fine grit sand paper.

This should definitely should be a sticky!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Awesome. You're the first to give me feedback and it's good to know the steps are clear enough to get you through it. Interesting idea to bevel the rod - seems a little scary but cool idea. In some of the posts I worked on, it went back on with little effort. My own post was the first to put up a fight.

No idea how to create a sticky of this post but I did want to put it in it's own thread. I'm just not sure where it should go. Tools? General? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks for the feedback
    -Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    big thanks cakelly4. My lev have sag AGAIN and i dont want to send it back to service again and again. I just make my cartridge service and now my LEV work brilliant. I have one tip for open that cartridge cap. I but aircan back to the lev body (because bearings is like lock) and then i can use outsidebody helping to open aircan cap.
    Last edited by Anssi; 02-23-2014 at 01:28 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Glad your LEV is up and running again!! Thanks for the feedback. Also, I've now moved the Cartridge Breakdown post to its own thread and removed the one previously listed above. This will help me have less places to do any editing.

Here's where you can find the Cartridge Rebuild Instructions now:

Glad to hear this is working for other people as well. I think it's a great alternative to waiting for an undetermined amount of time.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Got my LEV back from service and the actuation works well again. However, when I reoriented the saddle clamp I noticed one of the 6 small ball bearings that engage the clamp detents was missing. Any ideas where I can get a replacement?

ksk
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Known LEV issues for bad internal seal

I have not had sag issues, but thought I would share this info with KS LEV owners on the seal issues that cause a lot of side to side and forward to back play.

After about three months of flawless performance, approx 300 miles of use there suddenly was a lot of play, side to side, forward to back in my LEV. After speaking with KS they said it is a known issue for the internal seals going bad that they noticed in Nov. 2013. Since then they said they changed their internal seal vendor which should rectify the problem. They said they are so backed up fixing the seal issue it takes 3-4 weeks due to one person doing the repairs, Ridiculous. IMO KS needs to hire several people to repair and replace the seals with the new ones or send the seals to the LBS when requested. My LBS asked for the seal so they could rebuild for me but KS would not send one to them. So we mailed it Feb 27 to KS and the jury is out...We'll see if my LBS can get them to turn the post around in a week, will update this thread later in case others had the same issue. IMO for $340+ for the top rated dropper post, the Sag and Seal issues need to get ironed out in R&D quickly.
    Come on KS, tighten up your quality control.....

Good luck all...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    Got my LEV back from service and the actuation works well again. However, when I reoriented the saddle clamp I noticed one of the 6 small ball bearings that engage the clamp detents was missing. Any ideas where I can get a replacement?
    Bummer. I would definitely think it would be OK to ride the post with just one detent missing (I know I would ride mine that way). Maybe call Ron Easton and see if he could send you one. I would wonder if it's likely to stay in place once you replace it anyway. Good luck.

-Chris

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ksk View Post
    After about three months of flawless performance, approx 300 miles of use there suddenly was a lot of play, side to side, forward to back in my LEV. After speaking with KS they said it is a known issue for the internal seals going bad that they noticed in Nov. 2013.
    Definitely cool if they're replacing cartridges for people with a better set of seals, but it seems weird that seals in the cartridge would cause the play you describe. As far as I can tell, the DU Bushing, One-way roller bearing, and 3 copper guide bushings are the only thing that could affect play in the post. The seals are internal and should have no effect on movement (play) between the cartridge and black outer casing.

-Chris

mtbr member
    I actually ended up using 50# Dacron. I have some in my tackle box. It has worked like a charm and is pretty cheap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have been using my Lev for probably close to one year. More recently, I got quite a few wet and muddy rides. Yesterday, I opened my Lev to discover that water intruded in it. At first, it was harder to actuate the dropper. Then sag appeared. I followed the service video and it seems that the one way bearing may have corroded a bit, scratching the stanchion surface slightly. I applied some WD40, cleaned and lubed everything. Now the actuation appears to work, but there is still considerable sag. Is my problem likely to reside in the cartridge? Does it need to be serviced as per Cakelly's writeup you think?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Sounds suspicious for the cartridge. One way to know for sure (before opening the cartridge) is to break down the post like you did following the service video, and press the cartridge against the work bench like the second picture in Step 15 here: http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...ld-899659.html

If it sinks, it's definitely the cartridge.

Let me know how you make out.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I did this when I followed the service video and the cartridge sagged. I thought that maybe there was a mechanism outside the cartridge to block the post. According to your pist, there is none and hence my cartridge needs to be fixed. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You're welcome. Good luck. If you decide to try the service from my DIY post, let us know how it goes for you.

-Chris

mtbr member
    any word if they have control of this at the factory yet? i'm dealing with a crappy Kronolog dropper and was just about to grab one of these thinking they were bulletproof. dont need to replace one faulty dropper for another. having second thoughts...
    Old enuf to know better, but young enough not to care...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    had issues (sent back twice for repairs) when first purchased. Has been fine since the last return - about 1 years use now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I don't intend to hijack the thread, but what about rotational play? Is this just something that happens? Is it fixable? Mine seems pretty significant. at least 1cm

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You guys that have sent it back what do they typically charge for service? I know it would depend on what was broken but can you give me a ball park number?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ymi5150? View Post
    any word if they have control of this at the factory yet? i'm dealing with a crappy Kronolog dropper and was just about to grab one of these thinking they were bulletproof. dont need to replace one faulty dropper for another. having second thoughts...
    FWIW I've known of several people with LEVs who have never had problems. I have a 100 mm that I moved to my wife's bike and a 125 mm that is on my bike now. They are great posts and if you have mechanical skills, pretty straight forward to service. I feel that any dropper post is going to need some maintenance and parts are becoming more readily available through Universal cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I don't intend to hijack the thread, but what about rotational play? Is this just something that happens? Is it fixable? Mine seems pretty significant. at least 1cm
    They tend to get very slight rotational play (even though they claim the one way roller bearing prevents this) but 1 cm seems excessive. Places where you may have a problem include the 3 copper guide bushings, the one-way roller bearing, or the grooves in the cartridge where the copper guide bushings reside. Also make sure your top collar is tight.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty4x View Post
    You guys that have sent it back what do they typically charge for service? I know it would depend on what was broken but can you give me a ball park number?
    Thanks
    If it's under warranty, there's no charge aside from the cost to ship to them. And you'll have some down time without a dropper which is the most depressing part. If it's not under warranty and/or you hate down time, you really should try this:

I've made it as straight forward as possible.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sent my dropper in and they sent it back within one week! Fixed and works great! Went through the online work order request.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm new to this, got the Lev intense that came with the Kina aProcess 111. I had to put the hime together and everytjingis fine aside from the post that wouldn't hold to start with. Now i have played with cable tension/ positikn and i can get it to hold by pulling on the cable shell (where it enters the frame). If i try to lower it may or may not hold, hold and drop about an inch. Very frustrating!
    Looked at their videos and their actuator at the bottom of the post looks different. Not even sure how i can remove the cable, user manual is useless.
    any pointers on what to do would be appreciated. Thx
    ks lev dropper post sag ?-20141014_221544.jpg
    Last edited by mevnet; 10-16-2014 at 04:23 AM.
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    After the rebuild, it appears that the actuator of my ks lev is a bit "sticky" and does not always return all the way. Typically, it leaves a 2 mm gap. Can you recommend something?

I have unmounted the lever, cleaned and added a bit of grease. It seems to be helping a bit.

Has anyone encountered the same issue? Would it be helpful to replace the spring by a stronger one? Replace the housing by a new one, perhaps low friction?

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by F-Bomb View Post
    After the rebuild, it appears that the actuator of my ks lev is a bit "sticky" and does not always return all the way. Typically, it leaves a 2 mm gap. Can you recommend something?

I have unmounted the lever, cleaned and added a bit of grease. It seems to be helping a bit.

Has anyone encountered the same issue? Would it be helpful to replace the spring by a stronger one? Replace the housing by a new one, perhaps low friction?

Cheers
    Having a hard time understanding exactly what you mean. Where is the 2 mm gap? At the junction box? Remote lever on your handlebar? Is the post working or does it stay activated when it's "sticking?"

Always possible that you need to replace the external cable (the one from your handlebar to your post). That would be the easiest fix but if that doesn't work, there are a few other areas to trouble shoot:

1. Unscrew the bottom cap of your LEV and make sure the internal cable didn't get off track. Sometimes if it's not in perfect line with the groove in the black casing, it won't run smoothly or will even get pinched or severed.

2. Check to make sure your internal cable hasn't gotten too stretched. This is easiest to do when you still have the remote cable connected at the junction box (because it will pick up the small amount of slack that is supposed to be there). With the bottom cap removed, look at the actuator lever and make sure it's bumped right up against the piston that it activates. If it's a little loose, you can sometimes correct this with the remote barrel adjustor but if it's REALLY loose, you'll probably need to replace the inner cable.

3. With the bottom cap removed, disconnect the internal cable from the actuator lever and activate that lever with your hand a few times to see if the piston that it activates returns normally. If it's slow or seems to stick when returning, let me know and I'll explain what you can potentially do (too long to explain now).

Anyway, these are just a few thoughts to get you started if I'm understanding your question. Keep us updated.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hi Chris, I was talking about the handlebar knob and assembly, and that the knob does not quite return all the way despite the spring pulling it. I think the best bet here is a cable change as you suggested.

But looking at the junction box, the kevlar cable also has a bit of a mushy return. Best to open the dropper and make sure it is router properly.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ahh. OK. Yeah, maybe start with cable, then check inside the post. The other issue I have encountered (though mostly with the Supernatural for some reason) is when using the remote as the inner ring of an ODI grip. If you over tighten the bolt even just slightly, it seems to create drag on the handle bar lever. I know that seems weird and it's easier to demonstrate in person, but the ODI plastic on the grip acts like a fulcrum and creates pressure between the 2 pieces of the lever and therefore creates drag. Again, I've mostly had this issue on the Supernatural for whatever reason but something to consider.

Good luck.

Also, FYI for anyone reading this thread: a manufacturer's warning has been added to my DIY thread (requested by KS and carried out by MTBR) to warn of the potential serious danger involved with opening the factory sealed cartridge. Figured I'd post it here as well. As I've stated in the past, my DIY thread was designed for those like myself who are impatient and don't want to go through the warranty process (possibly more than once). That being said, the last thing I want is for someone to get hurt. Everyone please use caution if you attempt this.

Thanks
    - Chris

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for all the input, suggestions and instructions. My tries to contact KS, via website form and messages left on the service/ support (x102 I believe) were unsuccessful. Or the equivalent of having a piece of hardware with absolute zero warranty or support.
    So far I just keep my fingers crossed, after fiddling for a few hours with the cable I got it to work consistently.
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 TREK Fuel EX 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast