Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Kris Holm Freeride Rim

Does anyone here have any experience with the new 29" 47mm wide Kris Holm rims?

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Can you convert them to tubeless? lol

workin' it Administrator
    i really wanted these rims when building my latest wheels but they were only avail. in 36h at the time.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    i really wanted these rims when building my latest wheels but they were only avail. in 36h at the time.
    I was hoping for 36h
    These would be perfect for my next build!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX
    Can you convert them to tubeless? lol
    Great rim, and extremely easy to go tubeless -- either traditional ghetto or tape.

mtbr member

Where?

Where can you get or find this rims at??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dh_swing
    Great rim, and extremely easy to go tubeless -- either traditional ghetto or tape.
    Have you run this rim?
    How do you get around the lack of a weld when running tubeless with only tape?
    Last edited by jncarpenter; 01-21-2011 at 06:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by njbiker66
    Where can you get or find this rims at??
    UNICYCLE.COM

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    I'd be interested in reports as well. I've wanted a set of these for no really good reason for a while. They certainly look like they would be cool rims with big fat tires at low pressure. I was thinking they would be nice for a 29er fat bike light for hard snow conditions.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

This place needs an enema
    Unless they've been changed recently, that rim has been available for ~2 years. Haven't ridden them though I've built a few. Not a fan, actually. Structurally they're indestructo, but they have a fatal flaw in that the concavity of the rim plus the offset drilling of the spoke holes means that *unless you're lacing to something with massive flange width* you end up with all spokes taking a harsh bend just before entering the rim. Sub optimal for long term durability.

But if you're going with wiiiiide flanges, carry on and use the lightest spokes you can find. These rims are massive overkill for all but superclydes.

MC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Unless they've been changed recently, that rim has been available for ~2 years. Haven't ridden them though I've built a few. Not a fan, actually. Structurally they're indestructo, but they have a fatal flaw in that the concavity of the rim plus the offset drilling of the spoke holes means that *unless you're lacing to something with massive flange width* you end up with all spokes taking a harsh bend just before entering the rim. Sub optimal for long term durability.

But if you're going with wiiiiide flanges, carry on and use the lightest spokes you can find. These rims are massive overkill for all but superclydes.

MC
    How wide is wiiiiide? I was thinking a 150mm rear (Hadley or I9) & 135 front (likely Phil Wood) for hubs...

Do you have a different ~50mm 29er rim to recommend?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Have you run this rim?
    How do you get around the lack of a weld when running tubeless with only trae?
    Yup. I run both the 26" and 29" versions on my mountain unis. Uni hub spacing is typically 100mm with no discs (recently, discs have come in vogue), so I appreciate Mike's comments on offset spokes as it would apply to disc hubs. But for what I use them for, wonderful quality, wonderful feel. Also per Mike, 14G doubled-butted spokes do seem to give the rim a nice lively feel.

I run mine ghetto with a 20" and 24" split tubes respectively. They just plain never leak. Concerning tape, here is a fellow muni'er who has had great success with this method:

http://unplannedismounts.com/2009/09...ess-kh24-guni/

Overkill for mountain bikes -- yeah, probably. But what a great rim!

mtbr member
    I have a set of the 38mm KH rims that I have been meaning to build up, but since I could save nearly 1.5 lbs of rim weight AND gain nearly another 10mm of rim width, I was considering the freeride rims.

I do see the issue with the offset spokes tho, and would prefer a rim without a machined braking surface as well.

Decisions, decisions...

How wide is wiiiiide? I was thinking a 150mm rear (Hadley or I9) & 135 front (likely Phil Wood) for hubs...

Do you have a different ~50mm 29er rim to recommend?
    Dunno how wide you'd need exactly. Guess you're the guinea pig!

The only 50mm 29" rim I've used is the Speedway Uma. Fine on snow, with big tires, at low speeds and low pressures. But for MTB use, on dirt, riding hard? No effing way would I use it. My 110# wife is the ideal customer for it--IMO anyone heavier than ~150# could probably wad 'em up in a weekend.

MC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Dunno how wide you'd need exactly. Guess you're the guinea pig!

The only 50mm 29" rim I've used is the Speedway Uma. Fine on snow, with big tires, at low speeds and low pressures. But for MTB use, on dirt, riding hard? No effing way would I use it. My 110# wife is the ideal customer for it--IMO anyone heavier than ~150# could probably wad 'em up in a weekend.

MC
    Gotcha...thanks for the thoughts.

When you laced up the wider KH rims...did you cross over the rim center, or did you lace the offset hole to the same flange side?

I'm thinking of lacing up the 38mm set...it's not the ~9mm width I will miss as much as the ~300g per rim I will inherit

mtbr member
    Here are a few crappy shots of the 29 and 26 rims closeup. It would seem the spoke angle IS more severe on the 29" rims. This makes sense when if I think about it a bit.

Flange-2-flange on these hubs is 73mm. First two photos are the 29er, third is the 26:

Gotcha...thanks for the thoughts.

When you laced up the wider KH rims...did you cross over the rim center, or did you lace the offset hole to the same flange side?

I'm thinking of lacing up the 38mm set...it's not the ~9mm width I will miss as much as the ~300g per rim I will inherit
    If you look at the concavity of the rim (and the resulting angle of the eyelets) you'll see that crossing over would make it worse, not better.

Regardless of which one you choose, be sure to build up the rim cavity with a few layers of something thick--like foam tape. The KH rims fit tires pretty loose these days. I used to love that rim before the current crop of fatties came out.

MC

mtbr member
    I just dropped a pair off at the shop to be laced up to some hubs. Acquired in anticipation for a snowy riding season here in northern Japan.

Underskilled
    I am a HUGE fan of these rims, I am a clyde who rides quite hard (broke 5 rear hubs and a few frames including one WFO).

Wheels have always been perfect. They are not very heavy for what they offer; my way of looking at them is they are very light. My rational is that the rim is so wide you get a larger footprint with a smaller tyre, so you can drop a tyre size and get similar traction (this saves more weight than the rim weighs).

Very VERY VERY laterally stiff, no deflection at all. However there is a bit of flex from direct impact which protects the rim.

Kris is also a nice guy,

I have heard Mikesee's complaint about the spoke angle, but just do not get what the issue is. Taking in to account I am an engineer who works in R&D you would think I should get it....

Anyway been running these for a couple of years with 0 issues. I have had 5 rear hubs fail in that time. You do not even need to carefully take the spokes off as the rim is solid. one of the best pieces of kit on my bike.

good quality, good value and made by (ok for) a nice guy!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    I have one on the back of my Ti Jones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kris Holm Freeride Rim-kris.jpg  

Underskilled
    Oh forgot to add, mine have been the easiest rims to tubeless. I only use split tube/glue method as it is SO fast and reliable.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The apparent spoke angle issue has not been an actual problem for me either. I've run KH 47 29er freeride rims (very capably) laced with DT Swiss spokes on a dirt touring rig for two years. I've run them on several tours on rocky terrain under very heavy loads - the sort of stuff that destroys bikes and bike parts. I've had zero problems with the spokes or rims; they ride great, especially under load, and have been 100% bomber. I have had one rear hub fail -- a broken axle, snapped cleanly in half; that the hub failed first indicates that the spokes, despite the bend, were not the weak link in the wheel build. I know of no other 29er rim that compares in terms of strength and durability.

mtbr member
    These Kris Holm 47mm 29er rims have been absolutely brilliant for riding in the snow here in northern Japan. Last winter we had snow on the roads for around 4 months straight. Being able to drop the pressure in my Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 2.25 tyres really low for the soft road-edge snow was awesome. It was all about stability for me; the tyres end up having more of a 'square' profile which was great in the soft snow.

It can usually be done by human power | www.14degrees.org

mtbr member
    oops. duplicate entry.

mtbr member
    I realize this is rather an old thread. The latest Surly Krampus offering and the Jeff Jones fat front thing got me thinking of getting a little more goosh in my tires, and jump over to all rigid. I'm considering these 29er Kris Holms rims for my Karate Monkey (KM) as well.. What other tires have you guys tried on these rims on the KM? Will a Continental 2.4mm Trail King fit in that frame on the 47mm Kris Holm? (or asked another way.. are there any tires that won't fit the rear of the KM with the 47mm Kris Holm rim because they are too wide for the chain stays??)

many thanks in advance to all for your responses..
    zip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast