mtbr member
    May 2012

Kona Hei Hei Deluxe........bent?

So Ive got a 2012 29er Kona,the right side of the rear tire is getting closer and closer to the swingarm. The dish on the wheel is fine,the wheel is true. Its with in 1/4 inch clearance and will probably be dragging in a month or less.
    Local shop looked it over and said he found nothing wrong,said its not an alignment issue and you cant tell by looking at the frame/tire like that.
    I didnt want to argue with him and Kona has a lifetime gaurantee so it will get sorted out.
    I was wondering if anybody else has seen this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    With a 2.3" rear tire, mine rubbed inconsistently (usually at the bottom if the shock travel or in sandy or muddy conditions). I switched to a 2.1 rear and have not had a problem since

Craig

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The shop is right. The only way to tell would be to get a frame builder to check on an alignment table.

mtbr member
    Can you check the clearance between the chain stays and the crank arm?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by anomaly View Post
    The shop is right. The only way to tell would be to get a frame builder to check on an alignment table.
    So,if the wheel was centered in the frame when I bought it new,and now its moved over to the right side of the swingarm,thats maybe not an alignment issue? I think the most noticeable thing is the rear caliper keeps needing to be adjusted to not drag the disk,pretty much every hard ride it starts dragging again.

Also if I take my hands off the bars to stretch my back on any sort of downhill the bars instantly start to wag back and forth and would go to full lock if I didnt grab them very quick.
    Used to be dead stable hands off. Ive had many bikes and all had the rear wheel centered in the swingarm/frame,this one did when new. Its still pretty much aligned on the upper frame member of the rear suspension.
    Its crooked and I dont know what else would move besides the frame,the rear axle is a 142mm through axle and doesnt move in the frame.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    Slightly under 7/16"

mtbr member
    Same on both sides?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    Same on both sides?
    Yes,its the same on both sides. I also measured the distance between the tire and swingarm on the right side at 3/16".
    And the left side at almost 1/2". It looks odd that way.