Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    unrooted

Know-it-all bike shops

Went to the local bike shop tonight, they told me that derailer cables don't stretch and that tubeless isn't as good as tubed tires.

I worked at a shop with a know it all owner and manager that talked down to customers and I hated it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    people suck...better get use to it.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    There's a few bike shops in my area that only employ idiots. I had one employee tell my old Pivot Mach429 was garbage and I should sell it and get a Specialized Enduro. Yea... Specialized fanboys are as bad as door to door vacuum salesmen!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Went to the local bike shop tonight, they told me that derailer cables don't stretch and that tubeless isn't as good as tubed tires.

I worked at a shop with a know it all owner and manager that talked down to customers and I hated it!
    Well, cables really don't stretch. The housing, and ferrules, can settle into the stop which makes you think the cable stretched. And, tubes have advantages as do tubeless. Neither is better overall IMO, just a horses for courses thing.

Tim

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Confidence in you LBS is very important. If you think these guys are full of shiat then write them off and find another one.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

AZ
    banned
    Some people don't like their long held beliefs challenged.

unrooted
    Some people enjoy having discussions about pros vs cons on a subject, instead of the hard line stance that bike shop employees take.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Some people don't like their long held beliefs challenged.
    Wow.... Ain't at the truth. ... And that's exactly it. People get stuck in their ways.

transmitter~receiver
    Derailleur cables don't stretch and whether tubeless or tubed is better is a pretty rider-specific opinion.

Problem solved!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    Define "cable"
    as the inner wire, or the complete assembly, housing, ferrules and all?

Depends on person's definition of cable.

But I agree, some shops are definitely better than others.
    Sometimes, it is a single person, but a lot of times it is the culture of the shop that defines it's personality and ultimately it's success.

mtbr member
    May 2006

So would I ..... biking and sailing seem to attract know it alls.

transmitter~receiver

Know-it-all bike shops

Quote Originally Posted by Redball409 View Post
    Define "cable"
    as the inner wire, or the complete assembly, housing, ferrules and all?

Depends on person's definition of cable.
    By this logic "stretching" could mean getting shorter, right? It would have to since any part of your "cable assembly" getting longer is not what's happening.

lol

A Senior
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    By this logic "stretching" could mean getting shorter, right? It would have to since any part of your "cable assembly" getting longer is not what's happening.

lol
    Ah very true. I like it.

Rub it............
    With the cables, it's easier to tell the customer that cables stretch, but as been said before, they don't really stretch, only the ferrules/housing settle, effecting shifting/braking.

As for tubeless, it's a personal preference. I prefer tubeless over tubes, but tubes have their benefits as well.

mtbr member
    I'm with him^ Though technically the stranding of the cable can reorient tighter with tension. Not a stretching of the metal per-se but a minor distortion of the overall unit in a subtle way that happens only once for the most part. It becomes more apparent with larger cables(I do a lot of 3/16" cables for my job), where they often have to be re tensioned after a couple weeks.

Tubeless all the way
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

transmitter~receiver

Know-it-all bike shops

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    With the cables, it's easier to tell the customer that cables stretch.
    I think there's just a general misunderstanding. I don't think the housing compressing is any more difficult to say... could be me though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    I'm with him^ Though technically the stranding of the cable can reorient tighter with tension. Not a stretching of the metal per-se but a minor distortion of the overall unit in a subtle way that happens only once for the most part. It becomes more apparent with larger cables(I do a lot of 3/16" cables for my job), where they often have to be re tensioned after a couple weeks.

Tubeless all the way
    Very good comment, but they do get longer when the strands are setting unless the manufacture does some pretensioning. On some 1/8" ss cable we use on boats it will gain a 1/2" on a 20' cable. The bike cable is pretty small so I would not expect much, but even 1/16" could cause problems plus the ferrule/housing settling.

mtbr member
    I feel lucky. I found a shop, out of my town, that's small with only two guys working there. Always spot on advice from them. Treat me right on price. Amazing that they are busting at the seams with customers and service work. Doesn't matter if you are buying a $500 bike or $5,000 bike, same great service. Search for that kind of place and you'll be fine.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    I feel lucky. I found a shop, out of my town, that's small with only two guys working there. Always spot on advice from them. Treat me right on price. Amazing that they are busting at the seams with customers and service work. Doesn't matter if you are buying a $500 bike or $5,000 bike, same great service. Search for that kind of place and you'll be fine.
    That's exactly how it should be. I can't tell you how many shops I stepped in who immediately went into "oh you gotta spend '$2000 for an entry level hardtail!! Everything else you will break!!' kinda scare tactics. I was in sales for way too long... I can smell a sales trickster a mile away. I have very little tolerance for folks like that.

I value shops much more who will honestly tell me what is good, what isn't, what the new cool thing is that they are excited about (oh, you gotta check this out!), what is the best option for me, even if it means not making a sale on their end. If a shop treats me with honestly and respect, and doesn't treat me like a meal ticket, I'm there for life with all my purchases. I mean, I'm a big bike geek, and I love dealing with other bike geeks... folks who just love this stuff.

mtbr member
    I lol'd when I read this... just after I realized the lbs my new rear tire on backwards. So I had to unseat it, clean it and remount it.

mtbr member
    Shark jump in 3...2...1...

Of course metal stretches...tiny, but definitely perceivable...ie) inner surface of a leaf spring vs the outer. Springs return to their wound shape because they didn't exceed (stretch beyond) their elastic limit. Cables are made of wound stranded steel. Therefore, when the thing is in tension, it will stretch, not only because of the steel, but also the winding...or as someone else who works w/ cables stated, the strands will "re-orient"...or squeeze tighter due to the wound strands...and the whole cable lengthens...as in stretching a spring.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anom View Post
    I lol'd when I read this... just after I realized the lbs my new rear tire on backwards. So I had to unseat it, clean it and remount it.
    I've do that about 50% of the time, and I've done hundreds of tire changes. Kinda like reinstalling a crank set and forgetting to put the chain on first. Yep.

transmitter~receiver

Know-it-all bike shops

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Shark jump in 3...2...1...

Of course metal stretches...tiny, but definitely perceivable...ie) inner surface of a leaf spring vs the outer. Springs return to their wound shape because they didn't exceed (stretch beyond) their elastic limit. Cables are made of wound stranded steel. Therefore, when the thing is in tension, it will stretch, not only because of the steel, but also the winding...or as someone else who works w/ cables stated, the strands will "re-orient"...or squeeze tighter due to the wound strands...and the whole cable lengthens...as in stretching a spring.
    Take your logic through to something useful; show how a bike cable will stretch enough under the loads it sees to necessitate derailleur adjustments, making it "perceivable" as you say, which is why bike shops talk about it at all.
    Don't waste too much time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I'm right there with you. I've lived in my home-town for 57 years and there are 5 bike shops located here. I drove 50 miles to get my road and mountain bikes. The guys in my home-town are worthless. Unfortunately I thought I found the perfect bike shop out of town only to be told I was "too heavy to ride tubeless" on the $3,000 mountain bike I bought from them. I'm 5'11" and weigh 185 lbs. Needless to say I won't be buying any more bikes from that shop. They are pretty stupid considering the fact that I've bought 6 mountain bikes and 1 road bike in the last 10 years. I'm in the market for a new carbon road bike. I can't believe how bad customer service is at bike stores. They are looking more and more like used car lots. You can't believe anything they tell you. I feel bad if there are any truly honest bike dealers out there. All I can say is, "Buyer beware!"

Rub it............
    I think when running down the list of what I call "New Bike Syndrome" many shops say "cable stretch" when running down the list of things that may need readjustment after the first 30 days or so of riding.

For me, I usually say that the housing is settling, but people get it in their heads that steel cables stretch like nylon rope.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast