Results 1 to 75 of 75
  1. #1
    unrooted
    Reputation: unrooted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,195

    Know-it-all bike shops

    Went to the local bike shop tonight, they told me that derailer cables don't stretch and that tubeless isn't as good as tubed tires.

    I worked at a shop with a know it all owner and manager that talked down to customers and I hated it!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    220
    people suck...better get use to it.

  3. #3
    Missouri sucks...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,306
    There's a few bike shops in my area that only employ idiots. I had one employee tell my old Pivot Mach429 was garbage and I should sell it and get a Specialized Enduro. Yea... Specialized fanboys are as bad as door to door vacuum salesmen!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Went to the local bike shop tonight, they told me that derailer cables don't stretch and that tubeless isn't as good as tubed tires.

    I worked at a shop with a know it all owner and manager that talked down to customers and I hated it!
    Well, cables really don't stretch. The housing, and ferrules, can settle into the stop which makes you think the cable stretched. And, tubes have advantages as do tubeless. Neither is better overall IMO, just a horses for courses thing.

    Tim

  5. #5
    Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Reputation: In-Yo-Grill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,157
    Confidence in you LBS is very important. If you think these guys are full of shiat then write them off and find another one.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

  6. #6
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Some people don't like their long held beliefs challenged.

  7. #7
    unrooted
    Reputation: unrooted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,195
    Some people enjoy having discussions about pros vs cons on a subject, instead of the hard line stance that bike shop employees take.

  8. #8
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Some people don't like their long held beliefs challenged.
    Wow.... Ain't at the truth. ... And that's exactly it. People get stuck in their ways.

  9. #9
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,173
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Went to the local bike shop tonight, they told me that derailer cables don't stretch and that tubeless isn't as good as tubed tires.
    Derailleur cables don't stretch and whether tubeless or tubed is better is a pretty rider-specific opinion.

    Problem solved!
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  10. #10
    A Senior
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    59
    Define "cable"
    as the inner wire, or the complete assembly, housing, ferrules and all?

    Depends on person's definition of cable.

    But I agree, some shops are definitely better than others.
    Sometimes, it is a single person, but a lot of times it is the culture of the shop that defines it's personality and ultimately it's success.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,070
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Went to the local bike shop tonight, they told me that derailer cables don't stretch and that tubeless isn't as good as tubed tires.

    I worked at a shop with a know it all owner and manager that talked down to customers and I hated it!
    So would I ..... biking and sailing seem to attract know it alls.

  12. #12
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,173

    Know-it-all bike shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Redball409 View Post
    Define "cable"
    as the inner wire, or the complete assembly, housing, ferrules and all?

    Depends on person's definition of cable.
    By this logic "stretching" could mean getting shorter, right? It would have to since any part of your "cable assembly" getting longer is not what's happening.

    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  13. #13
    A Senior
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    By this logic "stretching" could mean getting shorter, right? It would have to since any part of your "cable assembly" getting longer is not what's happening.

    lol
    Ah very true. I like it.

  14. #14
    Never trust a fart
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,049
    With the cables, it's easier to tell the customer that cables stretch, but as been said before, they don't really stretch, only the ferrules/housing settle, effecting shifting/braking.

    As for tubeless, it's a personal preference. I prefer tubeless over tubes, but tubes have their benefits as well.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: supersedona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    646
    I'm with him^ Though technically the stranding of the cable can reorient tighter with tension. Not a stretching of the metal per-se but a minor distortion of the overall unit in a subtle way that happens only once for the most part. It becomes more apparent with larger cables(I do a lot of 3/16" cables for my job), where they often have to be re tensioned after a couple weeks.

    Tubeless all the way
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

  16. #16
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,173

    Know-it-all bike shops

    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    With the cables, it's easier to tell the customer that cables stretch.
    I think there's just a general misunderstanding. I don't think the housing compressing is any more difficult to say... could be me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    I'm with him^ Though technically the stranding of the cable can reorient tighter with tension. Not a stretching of the metal per-se but a minor distortion of the overall unit in a subtle way that happens only once for the most part. It becomes more apparent with larger cables(I do a lot of 3/16" cables for my job), where they often have to be re tensioned after a couple weeks.

    Tubeless all the way
    Very good comment, but they do get longer when the strands are setting unless the manufacture does some pretensioning. On some 1/8" ss cable we use on boats it will gain a 1/2" on a 20' cable. The bike cable is pretty small so I would not expect much, but even 1/16" could cause problems plus the ferrule/housing settling.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bigb2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    342
    I feel lucky. I found a shop, out of my town, that's small with only two guys working there. Always spot on advice from them. Treat me right on price. Amazing that they are busting at the seams with customers and service work. Doesn't matter if you are buying a $500 bike or $5,000 bike, same great service. Search for that kind of place and you'll be fine.

  19. #19
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb2000 View Post
    I feel lucky. I found a shop, out of my town, that's small with only two guys working there. Always spot on advice from them. Treat me right on price. Amazing that they are busting at the seams with customers and service work. Doesn't matter if you are buying a $500 bike or $5,000 bike, same great service. Search for that kind of place and you'll be fine.
    That's exactly how it should be. I can't tell you how many shops I stepped in who immediately went into "oh you gotta spend '$2000 for an entry level hardtail!! Everything else you will break!!' kinda scare tactics. I was in sales for way too long... I can smell a sales trickster a mile away. I have very little tolerance for folks like that.

    I value shops much more who will honestly tell me what is good, what isn't, what the new cool thing is that they are excited about (oh, you gotta check this out!), what is the best option for me, even if it means not making a sale on their end. If a shop treats me with honestly and respect, and doesn't treat me like a meal ticket, I'm there for life with all my purchases. I mean, I'm a big bike geek, and I love dealing with other bike geeks... folks who just love this stuff.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Anom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    69
    I lol'd when I read this... just after I realized the lbs my new rear tire on backwards. So I had to unseat it, clean it and remount it.

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    Shark jump in 3...2...1...

    Of course metal stretches...tiny, but definitely perceivable...ie) inner surface of a leaf spring vs the outer. Springs return to their wound shape because they didn't exceed (stretch beyond) their elastic limit. Cables are made of wound stranded steel. Therefore, when the thing is in tension, it will stretch, not only because of the steel, but also the winding...or as someone else who works w/ cables stated, the strands will "re-orient"...or squeeze tighter due to the wound strands...and the whole cable lengthens...as in stretching a spring.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bigb2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Anom View Post
    I lol'd when I read this... just after I realized the lbs my new rear tire on backwards. So I had to unseat it, clean it and remount it.
    I've do that about 50% of the time, and I've done hundreds of tire changes. Kinda like reinstalling a crank set and forgetting to put the chain on first. Yep.

  23. #23
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,173

    Know-it-all bike shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Shark jump in 3...2...1...

    Of course metal stretches...tiny, but definitely perceivable...ie) inner surface of a leaf spring vs the outer. Springs return to their wound shape because they didn't exceed (stretch beyond) their elastic limit. Cables are made of wound stranded steel. Therefore, when the thing is in tension, it will stretch, not only because of the steel, but also the winding...or as someone else who works w/ cables stated, the strands will "re-orient"...or squeeze tighter due to the wound strands...and the whole cable lengthens...as in stretching a spring.
    Take your logic through to something useful; show how a bike cable will stretch enough under the loads it sees to necessitate derailleur adjustments, making it "perceivable" as you say, which is why bike shops talk about it at all.
    Don't waste too much time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    Went to the local bike shop tonight, they told me that derailer cables don't stretch and that tubeless isn't as good as tubed tires.

    I worked at a shop with a know it all owner and manager that talked down to customers and I hated it!
    I'm right there with you. I've lived in my home-town for 57 years and there are 5 bike shops located here. I drove 50 miles to get my road and mountain bikes. The guys in my home-town are worthless. Unfortunately I thought I found the perfect bike shop out of town only to be told I was "too heavy to ride tubeless" on the $3,000 mountain bike I bought from them. I'm 5'11" and weigh 185 lbs. Needless to say I won't be buying any more bikes from that shop. They are pretty stupid considering the fact that I've bought 6 mountain bikes and 1 road bike in the last 10 years. I'm in the market for a new carbon road bike. I can't believe how bad customer service is at bike stores. They are looking more and more like used car lots. You can't believe anything they tell you. I feel bad if there are any truly honest bike dealers out there. All I can say is, "Buyer beware!"

  25. #25
    Never trust a fart
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,049
    I think when running down the list of what I call "New Bike Syndrome" many shops say "cable stretch" when running down the list of things that may need readjustment after the first 30 days or so of riding.

    For me, I usually say that the housing is settling, but people get it in their heads that steel cables stretch like nylon rope.

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Take your logic through to something useful; show how a bike cable will stretch enough under the loads it sees to necessitate derailleur adjustments, making it "perceivable" as you say, which is why bike shops talk about it at all.
    Don't waste too much time.
    5 word:
    Wound cable under const tension.

    Let's just say a typ. rear mech cable is ~60" or 5 ft long. And let's say "repositioning" of the winding from the cable being in const tension results in a 0.1% (1/10 of 1%) cable "stretch"...not unreasonable. That's a 0.06" change in length, or 1.52mm. Now, just from eyeballing thing, that barrel adjuster resembles a M5...same size bolt that you'd use a 4mm Allen wrench on. In fine thread pitch, that 0.5mm/turn, or roughly 3 turn, and in rough pitch, about 2.5 turns.
    So Melty, do you think a rear mech can be 2.5 to 3 full turns at the barrel, and remain in adjustment; is that a simple enough break down for you?

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    So would I ..... biking and sailing seem to attract know it alls.
    as well as : bowling, car racing , fantasy football, and any other sport competition you can think of.... including (not u) forum posters

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    512
    i dropped by this bike shop to buy a tube and they didnt have one.

    burbank bike shop

    they told me 29ers were a fad hahahaha

  29. #29
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,173

    Know-it-all bike shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    5 word:
    Wound cable under const tension.

    Let's just say a typ. rear mech cable is ~60" or 5 ft long. And let's say "repositioning" of the winding from the cable being in const tension results in a 0.1% (1/10 of 1%) cable "stretch"...not unreasonable. That's a 0.06" change in length, or 1.52mm. Now, just from eyeballing thing, that barrel adjuster resembles a M5...same size bolt that you'd use a 4mm Allen wrench on. In fine thread pitch, that 0.5mm/turn, or roughly 3 turn, and in rough pitch, about 2.5 turns.
    So Melty, do you think a rear mech can be 2.5 to 3 full turns at the barrel, and remain in adjustment; is that a simple enough break down for you?
    I didn't mean assume a bunch of crap and apply "maths" to reinforce your preconceived conclusion. I meant show that the load a derailleur puts on a cable will cause it to deflect any perceivable amount.
    It may be a lot of things, but it ain't the steel cable.
    Can you document the initial/permanent stretch on 1.2mm 1x19 stainless cable?
    Have you ever really had to turn the barrel adjuster 3 full turns after "cable stretch" sets in? Is the obvious "no" not enough of a reality check for you, even though it includes the housing compression/bedding?
    In any case, I don't think you'll be convinced. Sorry to inject some reality... carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,010
    i like bike shops...honest ones anyways...
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

  31. #31
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I didn't mean assume a bunch of crap and apply "maths" to reinforce your preconceived conclusion. I meant show that the load a derailleur puts on a cable will cause it to deflect any perceivable amount.
    It may be a lot of things, but it ain't the steel cable.
    Can you document the initial/permanent stretch on 1.2mm 1x19 stainless cable?
    Have you ever really had to turn the barrel adjuster 3 full turns after "cable stretch" sets in? Is the obvious "no" not enough of a reality check for you, even though it includes the housing compression/bedding?
    In any case, I don't think you'll be convinced. Sorry to inject some reality... carry on.
    Please explain how the outer coating and nipples embedding farther over time makes the cable inside them any longer then? Cable does stretch, especially near the RD anchor point.

  32. #32
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,173

    Know-it-all bike shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Please explain how the outer coating and nipples embedding farther over time makes the cable inside them any longer then? Cable does stretch, especially near the RD anchor point.

    1) The housing doesn't have to make the cable longer to change the derailleur adjustment. Here's an experiment: remove your rear d cable from the derailleur making sure you can tell exactly where it was. Slide off the last piece of housing and cut an inch off of it. Put it all back together (clamp the cable in the exact same spot) and try to shift. It won't work because the housing is shorter, not because the cable got longer.
    2) Cables are under the same tension throughout the whole length. They don't stretch in one spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  33. #33
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post

    1) The housing doesn't have to make the cable longer to change the derailleur adjustment. Here's an experiment: remove your rear d cable from the derailleur making sure you can tell exactly where it was. Slide off the last piece of housing and cut an inch off of it. Put it all back together (clamp the cable in the exact same spot) and try to shift.
    2) Cables are under the same tension throughout the whole length. They don't stretch in one spot.
    Ignoring what happens where cable contacts and repeatedly drags over bends in the housing, deforming due to forces entirely different on one "side" compared to the other, ignoring what happens when wound cable is pinched at the DR attachment, ignoring that cutting out an inch of housing and putting the whole thing back together exactly the same again may be slightly impossible........... Sounds like science to me

  34. #34
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,326

    Know-it-all bike shops

    Thank goodness they do not stretch otherwise we'd have much bigger problems with cable suspension bridges, elevators, etc.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,009
    It has to do with moving a fixed length cable inside a tube. Add more tube and less cable sticks out of one end of the tube. Pull on the front end of the cable and less sticks out at the back of the tube. The tube is made up of the frame stops/shifter stop together with the housing and the ferrules. The frame stop-ferrule-housing interface can compress as the interfaces are put under pressure.. This makes the tube shorter and more cable sticks out of the end. Turning the barrel adjuster makes the tube longer again.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    437
    wow, this thread has gone way off track.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    437
    Back on track:
    local bike shop- me "I want fox shock rebuild kit"
    shop guy- "oh, we do that, I have the guy do mine"
    me-"I like to do it myself"
    shop guy-"I don't know you mechanical ability, but..."
    me-"no, you don't"
    me- I left

    They act like a bike is a 32valve engine transplanted on space shuttle. There is nothing an average person can not do, with internet help, and the right tools.
    That said, I had a heck of a time finding the 26mm socket.... not at most stores to be had, so wound up ordering it with Sears. Even Harbor freight didn't have a cheap one, lol

  38. #38
    29ers Forever
    Reputation: CannondaleF9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,312
    One LBS which sells Trek and Specialized claims that cruiser grips are better than tube grips for mountain, and that 26ers climb better than 29ers. The owner is a bit of a know it all and is definitely more of a road rider than a mountain rider.

  39. #39
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,173

    Know-it-all bike shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Ignoring what happens where cable contacts and repeatedly drags over bends in the housing, deforming due to forces entirely different on one "side" compared to the other, ignoring what happens when wound cable is pinched at the DR attachment, ignoring that cutting out an inch of housing and putting the whole thing back together exactly the same again may be slightly impossible........... Sounds like science to me
    lol... what exactly is the effect on the adjustment over time of "what happens" at the clamp point?
    clearly you don't understand that shortening the housing without changing the cable length will change the derailleur adjustment. maybe start with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  40. #40
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,173

    Know-it-all bike shops

    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Thank goodness they do not stretch otherwise we'd have much bigger problems with cable suspension bridges, elevators, etc.
    Nobody said cables don't stretch.
    If y'all want to cling white knuckled to this belief and ignore any and all reason to do it, I sure ain't going to try to stop you. I mean, of all the people who can tell me all the mechanisms by which "stuff happens" with the cable, can a single one demonstrate, even theoretically, how much a derailleur cable actually stretches under a 5 lb. load?
    Since the cable stretching is so obvious, maybe the more interesting question is: how do the housing and ferrules manage to stay exactly the same length?
    Sadly I'll bow out before that gets "analyzed" in this brain trust.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  41. #41
    unrooted
    Reputation: unrooted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,195
    Maybe you and the local shop are right???

    Maybe you both are know-it-alls as well, incapable of having a conversation about the issue???

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    393
    I've had up and down experiences at LBS. Don't be too negative about them, with all the wannabe elitists out there, they have to have a couple elitists in each store just to keep up. Know-it-alls are one thing, and can be handled easily.. It's the rude people that actually want to rip you off are 100x worse. They are usually idiots at their first sales jobs that don't realize that 80% of the people they think they are fooling have more sales experience than they do.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    170
    You think the LBS is bad, try going to a firearms dealer. They "know" everything.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jakerz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    79

    Know-it-all bike shops

    I'm going to have to agree with Meltingfeather on this one. Cables do indeed stretch! I've seen this first hand on a larger scale, but physics apply to smaller cables as well... lol.

    How much tension is a shifter cable under during a shift? Anyone know?

    Jake

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerz View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with Meltingfeather on this one. Cables do indeed stretch! I've seen this first hand on a larger scale, but physics apply to smaller cables as well... lol.

    How much tension is a shifter cable under during a shift? Anyone know?

    Jake
    I don't know the exact amount bit it is not enough to plastically deform steel or stainless steel. If it was cables would fail on a regular basis due to it.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bigb2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    342
    Cables don't stretch. It's the gravity pull of the moon combined with low barometric pressure and global cooling that causes all your shifting problems.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    986
    Meltingfeather = MTBR knowitall

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jakerz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJL View Post
    I don't know the exact amount bit it is not enough to plastically deform steel or stainless steel. If it was cables would fail on a regular basis due to it.
    I don't really agree with this but ok. lol... You can watch the cable on a crane tighten and "stretch" as it lifts a load that is well under its maximum payload limit... but cables can't stretch without them breaking so the engineer that designed the crane knows nothing...

    Jake

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    179

    Re: Know-it-all bike shops

    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerz View Post
    I don't really agree with this but ok. lol... You can watch the cable on a crane tighten and "stretch" as it lifts a load that is well under its maximum payload limit... but cables can't stretch without them breaking so the engineer that designed the crane knows nothing...

    Jake
    That would be elastic deformation, the stretch in the cable is temporary. Plastic deformation is permanent. Think of a regular peice of metal push a little it can spring back, push a lot it bends permanently and will be weaker.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    72

    Re: Know-it-all bike shops

    Quote Originally Posted by DFYFZX View Post
    There's a few bike shops in my area that only employ idiots. I had one employee tell my old Pivot Mach429 was garbage and I should sell it and get a Specialized Enduro. Yea... Specialized fanboys are as bad as door to door vacuum salesmen!
    That's funny cuz my specialized shop has a vacuum store in it

    Sent from Tapatalk

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    72

    Re: Know-it-all bike shops

    I do all my own repairs. There isn't much I can't do with my $150 worth of bike tools.

    Sent from Tapatalk

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,933
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    Meltingfeather = MTBR knowitall

    He (she?- hate to assume) does seem to know a lot about bikes, but some folks just prefer to meet facts with a club instead of an open mind.

  53. #53
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,201
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    Meltingfeather = MTBR knowitall

    Sucks huh? I mean just when you think you have stuff dialed in Meltingfeather comes along and stirs things up with FACTS. How rude, jeez.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    437
    agreed, learning how to repair is half the fun, well maybe not half, but gives something to do when not riding! I hate to waste money at a lbs on a deraiuler adjustment or hanger when you will need to do that over and over and over. Learn it, I can do it, I am sure 95% you can also. Granted some of you have money, or just not the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
    I do all my own repairs. There isn't much I can't do with my $150 worth of bike tools.

    Sent from Tapatalk

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    519
    So do cables stretch or not?

    But seriously, I think another way of putting it is some people want the salespeople to tell them what they want or want to hear.

    If a salesperson said "well, you could ride a 29" or a 26", it's your preference really" or "you could ride tubeless or tubed it's your preference" then people would think that they didn't know what they are talking about. Ignorant people live in a black and white world and they want someone to tell them either black or white.

    A bike shop guy criticized my brake lever angle on my mtb bike and asked me if I wanted it changed. I thought about explaining to him about how every beginner mtb book bike fit setup says to point them more downward and how it is more ergonomic and after I did so myself have really enjoyed it and braking is much easier and comfortable. I just responded with "I like it".

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Sucks huh? I mean just when you think you have stuff dialed in Meltingfeather comes along and stirs things up with FACTS. How rude, jeez.
    Not really. There is a difference between being right, and have to convince others that you are right. That's what a know-it-all does; argues and fights with others until they admit said know-it-all is right. While he is right, for the most part the housing settles into place, but that really wasn't the point.

  57. #57
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,173

    Know-it-all bike shops

    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    Not really. There is a difference between being right, and have to convince others that you are right. That's what a know-it-all does; argues and fights with others until they admit said know-it-all is right.
    That's why I bowed out when it ceased to be a discussion of issues, right?
    What is your point, other than personally attacking me?
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR-33 View Post
    While he is right, for the most part the housing settles into place, but that really wasn't the point.
    What is the point? Bagging anonymous bike shop employees who express their knowledge (cable stretch) and opinions (tubeless)? The power to hold onto misinformation?
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  58. #58
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    I didn't mean assume a bunch of crap and apply "maths" to reinforce your preconceived conclusion. I meant show that the load a derailleur puts on a cable will cause it to deflect any perceivable amount.
    It may be a lot of things, but it ain't the steel cable.
    Can you document the initial/permanent stretch on 1.2mm 1x19 stainless cable?
    Have you ever really had to turn the barrel adjuster 3 full turns after "cable stretch" sets in? Is the obvious "no" not enough of a reality check for you, even though it includes the housing compression/bedding?
    In any case, I don't think you'll be convinced. Sorry to inject some reality... carry on.
    You write like a math/science denying, Bible thumping Republican! And yes, 3 full turns on a rear mech's barrel adjuster, over time...and this is after tapping down the housing ferrules and pre-stretching (grab, pull and hold for a couple of minutes exposed cable after mounting) and adjusting a fresh new cable set mounting.

  59. #59
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Take your logic through to something useful; show how a bike cable will stretch enough under the loads it sees to necessitate derailleur adjustments, making it "perceivable" as you say, which is why bike shops talk about it at all.
    Don't waste too much time.
    ... and how do you know it isn't your top tube compressing? Maybe that is perceivable as well.

    No, it's the housing and ferrule ends that compress, especially if they were not seated correctly to begin with.

  60. #60
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Sucks huh? I mean just when you think you have stuff dialed in Meltingfeather comes along and stirs things up with FACTS. How rude, jeez.
    True... Meltingfeather may not be the master of tact, but he does know his shiz.

  61. #61
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: Know-it-all bike shops

    I love my lbs, mainly because they're honest with me. "No, you don't NEED this, but it'd be nice to have."

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Neumonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    58
    Interesting thread, reminds me of corvette forum that I frequent for my car fix.

    On Topic:
    I went to a few LBS and they were all different regarding personality, not sure on the knowledge side as they all seemed to know about the bikes they were selling for the most part. Two of the stores were trying to just recommend a bike based on price, the 3rd store (which I ended up purchasing from) took the time to find out what I wanted to do with a bike and what was important to me from a capability and component stand point.
    Offering me a solution after taking the time to find out what I was looking for was the right fit for me, I really like the people at the LBS I bought from and would recommend them to anyone interested in a bike.
    2013 Trek Superfly AL Elite

  63. #63
    Crash Dummy In Training
    Reputation: PauLCa916's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Sucks huh? I mean just when you think you have stuff dialed in Meltingfeather comes along and stirs things up with FACTS. How rude, jeez.
    +1 Fact's rule
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,770
    Good/professional sales people and good customer service is rare.

    Example, I walk into a bike shop in Hemet, CA? Looking for a Geax Saguaro 2.2 x 29 tire. I ask the twenty-something "kid" if they carried this tire. His reply...."no man, we don't carry that tire 'cause no one around here would ride those nasty things."

    I go to another shop and was told..."We don't carry the Geax as its just not a popular tire in our area, but lets see if we can set you up with something that will serve you as well...why do you like the Geax?"

    I wont ever go in shop number one again...every time Im in town to ride I buy something from shop number two, even if its just a pair of socks or lube.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  65. #65
    transmitter~receiver
    Reputation: meltingfeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    9,173
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    even if its just a pair of socks or lube.
    or both
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

  66. #66
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,093
    Times are hard here for LBS due to the amount of online purchases, we can buy anything up to $999 online from other countries without any fees to pay, only goods over $1000 attract GST and import duties.

    At a rough estimate as I don't have figures AND as no records are kept on goods under the $999 threshold entering the country, around 50% (guestimate) of cycling products would probably now come from the US and UK from places like CRC, Wiggle, Jensons ect.... some offer free postage worldwide and you can get it quicker from the UK than a LBS can get it from the Oz supplier with prices as much as 50% cheaper and more. This has also forced some of them to push their shop stock resulting in an expensive purchase of something that didn't really fit the purpose.

    The bike shops here who if even at once were very good and actually did know-it-all, some have developed a hate for online buyers and a zero tolerance to customers has came out of that.... they have forgotten the #1 rule "the customer is always right".

    That inability to embrace and adapt to the online buying culture here is going to be the downfall of many shops here in Oz, so all they have to set them apart is the quality of service and attitude towards customers.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hrbib21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    109
    ^Good points. I even see it in a certain bike shop here in the Myrtle Beach SC area (see, even here I refuse to trash them by name out of respect). You don't like that I own an Airborne Guardian and want to give attitude? No problem, I know how to fix everything myself and I'll remember that in the future when you're dying for business.

  68. #68
    unrooted
    Reputation: unrooted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Times are hard here for LBS due to the amount of online purchases, we can buy anything up to $999 online from other countries without any fees to pay, only goods over $1000 attract GST and import duties.

    At a rough estimate as I don't have figures AND as no records are kept on goods under the $999 threshold entering the country, around 50% (guestimate) of cycling products would probably now come from the US and UK from places like CRC, Wiggle, Jensons ect.... some offer free postage worldwide and you can get it quicker from the UK than a LBS can get it from the Oz supplier with prices as much as 50% cheaper and more. This has also forced some of them to push their shop stock resulting in an expensive purchase of something that didn't really fit the purpose.

    The bike shops here who if even at once were very good and actually did know-it-all, some have developed a hate for online buyers and a zero tolerance to customers has came out of that.... they have forgotten the #1 rule "the customer is always right".

    That inability to embrace and adapt to the online buying culture here is going to be the downfall of many shops here in Oz, so all they have to set them apart is the quality of service and attitude towards customers.

    It's exactly the same here. The bike shops hate online stores, act like pricks, charge full price (plus sometimes), and expect customers to be loyal to them.

    Makes zero sense.

  69. #69
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,093
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    you can get it quicker from the UK than a LBS can get it from the Oz supplier
    Just to clarify the above statement, if all goes well and the bike shop is "on it" straight away you could have your gear in 1-2 days, though this is rarely the case and I have had a package from the UK to Oz as quick as 3 days but usually a week is the norm.... waited 6 weeks once for in-stock Nipples from an Oz suppler, no fault of the bike shop - just a slack distributor.... but this all adds up to the buying experience and if you cant get the bits you need in a realistic timeframe you will go elsewhere in the future.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerz View Post
    I don't really agree with this but ok. lol... You can watch the cable on a crane tighten and "stretch" as it lifts a load that is well under its maximum payload limit... but cables can't stretch without them breaking so the engineer that designed the crane knows nothing...

    Jake
    He didn't say cables don't stretch. He said they don't plastically deform. There is a huge difference. Plastic deformation occurs when the cable stretches beyond its elastic limit. Cables stretch elastically (meaning they return to their original length when the load is removed) until they're overloaded and exceed their elastic limit - then they stretch plastically and fail.
    That said, a derailleur cable is under constant load, so when you adjust it, it is stretched to some point. That elongation shouldn't change because the load shouldn't change unless you get something stuck in your derailleur and try to gronk down on the shifter.
    Slow Old Guy

  71. #71
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,349
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    It's exactly the same here. The bike shops hate online stores, act like pricks, charge full price (plus sometimes), and expect customers to be loyal to them.

    Makes zero sense.
    Sooooo... You're saying that you should be free to undercut the LBS by buying online and then expect special treatment (discounts) when you do deign to go to the shop to buy or service something? Do you people really feel that entitled?

    Why should your LBS be happy that you can sometimes buy stuff online for less than the shop can get it? That does not ever excuse acting like a prick to your customers, IMO, but it also doesn't merit doing any special favors for you when you do have to go there. Loyalty works both ways...

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    178
    I was a service manager for a major marine dealership .... My saying was always the same ..... If you bought it from me ill jump over the moon to make any faults on the product right..... If you bought it from bass pro shop and expect me to do the same your out of your mind.... I turned a lot of people into future boat buyers because where's that big box store when your stuck on the water?

  73. #73
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,093
    If you are an online buyer, stock up on spares because if you need your LBS in an emergency, there's no way you can expect any favours or loyalty in any way.... but you can expect them to be polite and respectful or else you will go elsewhere next time.... its a buyers market and you have absolutely the right to ask for a price match, their answer will speak bucket loads into the way you will be treated.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    IndyFab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

  74. #74
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,406
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough View Post
    Sooooo... You're saying that you should be free to undercut the LBS by buying online and then expect special treatment (discounts) when you do deign to go to the shop to buy or service something? Do you people really feel that entitled?

    Why should your LBS be happy that you can sometimes buy stuff online for less than the shop can get it? That does not ever excuse acting like a prick to your customers, IMO, but it also doesn't merit doing any special favors for you when you do have to go there. Loyalty works both ways...
    I buy most of my stuff on line, But when I do go into a LBS if they have it in stock I don't mind paying what they ask, But if they have to get it in for me I work harder to get a great price because they didn't have to hold it in stock.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    393
    If I would not have had a couple bad experiences at LBS's I would have never bought a bike online in the first place. There is money in those tune ups and service packages, they definitely don't need to kiss your a$$ if you buy online, but there is money to be made off everybody that walks through the door usually. That's the way I looked at it in sales. Trek stores are pretty successful and don't worry about whether you bought your bike online or not, they are happy with the service fees.

Similar Threads

  1. used bike shops?
    By sandyeggo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-14-2013, 06:00 PM
  2. any good bike mechanics / bike shops recommended west LA?
    By jasonjm in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-01-2012, 07:03 PM
  3. WNC bike shops?
    By cardioverter in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-26-2011, 06:43 AM
  4. WNC bike shops?
    By cardioverter in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 08:40 AM
  5. Bike Shops
    By patirwin in forum Arizona
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-14-2011, 09:47 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •