mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Kenda Saber Pro 29x2.60 tire?

Came across this tire but zero info. to be found :

Kenda Tires | Bicycle | Saber Pro Bike Tires | Find a Tire | Kenda Tires

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The description is interesting.
    If it is high volume it could go on a 40mm inner rim for a big footprint on hardpack and be fast rolling.
    Low pressure under 15 front.
    Kenda Saber Pro 29x2.60 tire?-41m9u7xpqel._sr600-315_piwhitestrip-bottomleft-0-35_pistarratingfour-bottomleft-360-6_sr600-315.jpg

This is the tread pattern at 2.0.
    Last edited by eb1888; 02-12-2018 at 04:37 AM.

I am Walt
    Man, thatís a promising looking tire for a 2.6 front. The two questions I would have are what about the sidewall protection, and what will it actually measure at? But off the top, sounds great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Would love to get some of those. Great tread for a fast rolling desert tire.
    Hopefully it will be durable as well.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Would love to get some of those. Great tread for a fast rolling desert tire.
    Hopefully it will be durable as well.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I've been running the Nobby Nic 2.6 on Flow MK3 for a couple months. Nice volume, but they are taller than what I like and leaning hard in corners is a little disconcerting. This is at 16 front, 18 rear.

This Kendra has me thinking of the old WTB WW 2.55 that I ran for years. That tire did everything well in AZ
    you're lucky enough.

I am Walt
    I've been running the Nobby Nic 2.6 on Flow MK3 for a couple months. Nice volume, but they are taller than what I like and leaning hard in corners is a little disconcerting. This is at 16 front, 18 rear.

This Kendra has me thinking of the old WTB WW 2.55 that I ran for years. That tire did everything well in AZ
    I'd also be running it on my "non-plus" Flow MK3 wheelset (i29mm). Tried a Rekon 2.6, and though while a nice volume and durable, it's too draggy for me, and you have to lean it too much while cornering. Switched to an Ardent 2.4, and while lighter and less draggy, it's a similar profile to the Rekon, and has to be leaned over in corners (looks and measures narrow, also). Switched back to a 2.35 Ikon, which is a rounder profile, and it is awesome (and measures out wider than the Ardent).

This Kenda looks to be a rounder profile, in a lighter, faster tire, and should perform similar to the Ikon. Sign me up...

Of course, Maxxis could just make a 2.6 Ikon, and I'd be good to go...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    According to Kenda it won't be available until possibly late spring

Student of the Bike
    Man, I loved that WWLT tire! I ended up buying all the back stock I could find when they stopped producing them. I still have 2-3 of them.

I've since moved to a 29+ platform with i45 rims and thus. I'm currently running Chupas and have been pleased with them. However, I'm looking for a smaller width race-only tire for a new set of wheels that I'm going to be ordering. This Kenda looks very promising (and resemble the WWLT quite a bit). Good find!

Later,
    CJB

mtbr member
    CBaron - if you want to part ways with those WWLT let me know
    you're lucky enough.

Student of the Bike
    Yeah, I almost hesitated to state that I still have some. I knew (know) how coveted they are. I'm waiting to see what they look like when mounted to an i39 rim before I make some decisions. If you are really serious, send me a PM so that I can keep it "on file". It won't be any time soon.

I had worked in the industry for years and when the WWLT was discontinued, I'd considered trying to reach out to that factory (and possibly WTB) to see if it would be possible to get the mold fired back up again under a generic name. I know that Walt(works) in conjunction with a backer, has successfully brought a modern 36'er tire to market this way.

Later,
    CJB

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    FYI I just ordered one from Kenda Tire. I'm hoping it will fit in the back of my Pivot Les.

mtbr member
    The 2.6 NN fits, but rubs, in the back of my '17 LES.
    Took it off as it was rubbing the clear coat
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The 2.6 NN fits, but rubs, in the back of my '17 LES.
    Took it off as it was rubbing the clear coat
    What do you have your chainstay length at? Mine is flipped to the shorter ~17in length. I'm hoping to keep it shorter, but guessing I'll need to go longer if I have a 2.6 in back on 26i 29in rims.

I tried the 2.6 Rekon, and there was definitely not enough room.

mtbr member
    the shorter setting. Even farther back its iffy. Mines mounted to a Flow MKlll
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Are you looking for a set of the WWLT?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    CBaron - if you want to part ways with those WWLT let me know

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    What would a good rim width be for the 2.6 width if ran tubeless on a rigid setup?

mtbr member
    I like the width of the Flow MKlll. 29 inner 32 outer.
    Doesn't seem to deform the tire so much.
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by black_taco View Post
    If you have some, PM me. I'm interested
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Mounted one up

I got to the 'better use a tube' stage of mounting the tire on a 26i rim. Inflated to about 25psi, and measured. Knob to knob was 6.09cm and casing was at 5.9cm. Don't forget this didn't give the tire any 'stretch time'. Weight measured at 760g.

I also recently got the Vittoria Mezcal (the 2.35in version), and somehow feel better about the tire, without having actually ridden either! The taller central knobs on the Mezcal make me feel better. I think the tire has its place, but my mindset has changed since I ran a bald Bontrager xr0/29-0 at Leadville 7 years ago!

I had mounted the tire on a front wheel, but I carefully tested the fit in the rear of my Pivot Les, and it appeared that it would work (shorter chainstay setting)

So, I'll probably end up trying it out, but I'll also keep searching for a Mezcal in 29x2.6. Let me know if anyone finds them in stock!
    Kenda Saber Pro 29x2.60 tire?-img_20180312_204547.jpg

mtbr member
    This Saber Pro 29x2.6 is interesting. Iím looking for a 29x2.6Ē semi-plus tire that is faster than the Maxxis Rekon 2.6Ē. But will this Saber be durable enough for wandering off the race course for long haul routes? 760g is pretty darn light, and I have my doubts about puncture and sidewall protection. I think Iíll wait for the Vittoria Mezcal to come out in 2.6Ē, at 870 grams with the TNT casing, Kevlar bead and sidewall protection, it seems like it is going to be a more durable option and plenty fast.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Is that 760g for the KSCT version or TLR version? I only see the KSCT versions for sale online with some sites not stating which version it is.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Any updates on the tire, Dinoridge? Any change in width, and any issues with wear or flats?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    rumblytumbly, it is the KSCT.
    erik$, unfortunately we haven't had a nice enough spring for our trails to be open yet here in Wisconsin!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ah, not too surprising Snow free trails are probably about 1 month out in these woods. Thanks anyways!

mtbr member
    DinoRidge, please post some pics of the tread pattern. There arenít a lot of actual pics of this tire, just computer graphic versions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It's unmounted, but I tried to hold it in its natural shape...
    Shown next to a Vittoria Mezcal 2.35Kenda Saber Pro 29x2.60 tire?-img_3610.jpgKenda Saber Pro 29x2.60 tire?-img_3609.jpg

mtbr member
    Hmmm. And it comes in a 2.4 as well

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Can't wait to hear some reviews of this tire. Looks mighty fast. Wonder how it would do up front in the loose stuff.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

viva la v-brakes!
    Hmm, I was pretty excited about these tires, but those side knobs look like weak sauce. They remind me of Stan's The Crow, which were fast if you were going in a straight line, but heaven help you if you wanted to turn!
    Last edited by FishMan473; 04-09-2018 at 12:56 PM.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My thoughts exactly FishMan473. That is why it is not mounted to a wheel in the picture I posted. It was the gaps between side nobs that bothered me the most. It had me wondering if they were hoping to lower the weight, so skimped on outside nobs.

viva la v-brakes!
    I'd still consider these for endurance racing. I'm rarely going full-out during an endurance race and I'm pretty good with working with what I've got as far as traction is concerned.

I'd be very interested to hear a full review. I'm also curious about the TR version which has a claimed weight of 602g, that's 2.0" tire territory.

Dino, where do you live in WI? Maybe I could check out your tires in person, let you be the canary in the coal mine ;-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post

I'd be very interested to hear a full review. I'm also curious about the TR version which has a claimed weight of 602g, that's 2.0" tire territory.
    Fishman- could you link to where you found the TR weight specs?
    Please and thank you

viva la v-brakes!

Kendaís website:

https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/...hon/saber-pro/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member

Fish man- Thanks- didnít dig deep enough
    But yea, the TR versions are getting into Schwalbe weight ranges

Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk while not riding, dammit!

mtbr member
    Ok, so though I'm not going whole hog with the 2.6s, I will be the guinea pig for the 2.4s. This tire just ticked a lot of the boxes for me- we'll see. FWIW Bike Tires Direct says they have all sizes all in stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoRidge View Post
    I got to the 'better use a tube' stage of mounting the tire on a 26i rim.....
    Dino- can you elaborate on this? As in it wasn't seating well on your rim, or wasn't gonna seat without a tube?
    Thx

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So I got a pair of these from the electronic bay and mounted them on my i36 carbon rims. A few observations:

Installation:
    quite easy to get the tire on the rim. Inflation was not too bad; had to pull the tire bead out towards the rim sidewall in a few sections, but it went up after about a minute of pumping and light massage. Not the easiest but I did not pump with up with a tube first to shape the tire, which I normally do.

Measurements:
    The width was roughly 63 mm after inital inflation to 30 psi and 65 mm after one day. They might end up close to 2.6'' after a while. I installed them 5-6 days ago so will maybe double check the width at riding pressure quite soon.

Weights were about 725 and 745 g.

First-ride impressions:
    I come off 3'' Chupacabras on my fully rigid Waltworks and the smaller volume is very noticable. They felt quite a bit firmer than what I am used to. The starting pressure was ~14f/15r and I weight abut 146lbs / 66kg before kitting up. I dropped the pressure a little bit and things improved a tad but I could feel the rim a couple times, so definitely not as forgiving as the Chupacabras. As a reference I ride the Chupacabras at 9f/10-12r when doing fully rigid.

When it comes to handling the terrain they felt quite anonymous, in a good way. No weird slide outs or traction problems. Fun to ride the bike again and the tires didn't put a damper on that. The reason for changing from the Chupas was to get lower rolling resistance, but without some proper test conditions it is hard to tell. They did not feel very slow, but not super fast either. I raced the Chupas last year but it remains to be seen if I will try some races with this setup or if racing duties will be passed on to the RM Element I still haven't put together yet.

The snow around here still limits the available terrain but I was able to ride some damp loamy trails and some rooty sections. Loose over hard is basically non-existent over here, so hard to give any comments on that.

Future:
    The F34 might get installed in not too long to see how they handle when things get a bit more rowdy.

Cheers,
    Erik

Student of the Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by erik$ View Post
    So I got a pair of these from the electronic bay and mounted them on my i36 carbon rims. A few observations:

Cheers,
    Erik

This is a great review! All very pertinent info for me. I'm in a similar situation where I'd like to try and have a lightweight setup to do some marathon races when on my Stache. Those tire weights alone would save me nearly 300 grams of rotational weight (from my Chupas).

Thanks
    CJB

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Glad to hear that! I will try to give some updates after a bit more riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Might be a stretch, but the tread pattern looks somewhat similar to the 26 x 4 Kenda Juggernaut Pro.

I was a guinea pig for that one. Road that tire for well over a year. Crazy slow, hard to understand why. I was in denial, blinded by the 853 grams. I kept them on for the sake of lugging less weight on long hike a bike bushwhacks rides.

Main complaint, when sidewall damaged, it was more brittle (?) like. Tendency to rip vs. a hole that seals or you can plug. If the Saber has the same sidewall/casing construction, Iíd be leery.

Looking for 2.6 for my 29er, but after Karma, Small Block 8 and Juggernaut ProÖ. three strikes and Iím out.

Probably just wait for 2.6 Mezcal, unless the nice guinea pigs prove otherwise over the next 3 months.

Good luck
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am also really looking forward to the Mezcal but figured this was a nice waiting sausage. Yes, that is directly translated from Norwegian.

I usually don't tear a lot of tires so if this one goes early then it is an indication of it being a bit on the light side. No noticable difference in rolling when riding in a group yesterday, but the others were mostly trail riders with equipment to fit. Second proper ride and it is definitely a fun tire. Tried 12f/14r and I liked it. Still fully rigid.

viva la v-brakes!
    Has anyone dared to try the ~600g version yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A few updates.
    Mezcal 2.6 is now on Vittoria's website available to purchase (completely wrong information they gave me about late June, but I'm not complaining!). I've got one on the way. Hopefully this is another 'waiting sausage' for erik$!
    I remounted the Saber 2.6 on a 23id rim (yes perhaps narrow), which did require a air compressor, but sealed up really well immediately.
    I missed our 1-hr window of ride time before rain, so I only tried the Saber on pavement. No real review of course, though I did notice those sparse side nobs vibrate like crazy with bike lean. I know rolling resistance isn't probably your biggest concern when cornering, it was just something I noticed.