Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,701

    Kenda Happy Medium?

    Anyone tried these yet? Impressions? DTC, so possibly a great dual purpose, commute to fire road heaven beast!
    Rep points for Nor Cal replies.

    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  2. #2
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,073
    I have a 2.35@30psi in front and 2.1@35psi on the rear, both DTC, riding singletrack in eastern Iowa. These are the best tires I have ever used, and I have used WTB Weirwolf, MotoRaptor 2.4, IRC Mythos XC II, Kenda Nevegal, Intense System 4, all types of Bontrager tires, Contis etc etc.

    The transition and side knobs bite hard in the corners and off-camber areas, while the smooth center section makes pedaling effortless compared to something like a Nevegal. I'm considering another 2.35 for the rear for a little extra shock absorption since I ride a hardtail.

    Another important observation I have made with these tires is that they don't slide on wet roots when you are standing up mashing on the pedals. Other tires seem to just slide the whole length of the root or log until your front wheel is perpendicular to your frame!

    At the very least, you can spend $70 bucks on a set of these tires and if you hate em you can sell them to me!

  3. #3
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,101

    Mikey likes!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Anyone tried these yet? Impressions? DTC, so possibly a great dual purpose, commute to fire road heaven beast!
    Rep points for Nor Cal replies.

    Gotta give these a shot when my Weirwolf LTs die.

    For aggressive trail riding I really dig a Never-go (Nevegal) up front - rolling resistance on this tire up front is not bad at all. But on the rear end a semi-slick with cornering knobs seems like the ticket.

  4. #4
    Did I catch a niner?
    Reputation: Mr Pink57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,349
    I would think this would be a solid gravel grinder tire.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

  5. #5
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,101

    Just checked'm out...

    Too bad they are only listed as a 2.1" in the 29er version.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    430
    This looks like a promising rear tire!!! Subbed for reviews.

  7. #7
    Riding or Drumming
    Reputation: funkydrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post
    I would think this would be a solid gravel grinder tire.
    I just ran the 700x40 on my Salsa Vaya at a 60mi gravel race this this weekend
    and loved 'em. I can easily see the 2.1 as a rear on my TallBoy.
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    318
    Reminds me of the old Michelin Sprint tires!
    --
    Joe Partridge

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I have a 2.35@30psi in front and 2.1@35psi on the rear, both DTC, riding singletrack in eastern Iowa. These are the best tires I have ever used, and I have used WTB Weirwolf, MotoRaptor 2.4, IRC Mythos XC II, Kenda Nevegal, Intense System 4, all types of Bontrager tires, Contis etc etc.

    The transition and side knobs bite hard in the corners and off-camber areas, while the smooth center section makes pedaling effortless compared to something like a Nevegal. I'm considering another 2.35 for the rear for a little extra shock absorption since I ride a hardtail.

    Another important observation I have made with these tires is that they don't slide on wet roots when you are standing up mashing on the pedals. Other tires seem to just slide the whole length of the root or log until your front wheel is perpendicular to your frame!

    At the very least, you can spend $70 bucks on a set of these tires and if you hate em you can sell them to me!
    For pure speed on fire roads how do they compare to 29x 2.2 small block 8

  10. #10
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,101
    Where can I find these for sale?

  11. #11
    bt
    bt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Where can I find these for sale?
    Let me google that for you

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,265
    This tire would be useful for a lot more than gravel grinding if they offered the wider size in 29". The 2.1 is too narrow IMO. It measures OK only because of the large side knobs, the volume is pretty disappointing.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shapirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    488
    Does anyone have a measurement of the 26x2.35 DTC version?

  14. #14
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus View Post
    Does anyone have a measurement of the 26x2.35 DTC version?
    I find it impossible to get 26" tires on my 29er rims to measure. Maybe try the tires forum instead of the 29er forum?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shapirus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    488
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus View Post
    I find it impossible to get 26" tires on my 29er rims to measure. Maybe try the tires forum instead of the 29er forum?
    I believed it was the "wheels and tires" forum

  16. #16
    trail rat
    Reputation: slocaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,696
    Quote Originally Posted by shapirus View Post
    I believed it was the "wheels and tires" forum
    You are posting in the 29er components forum.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Similar Threads

  1. Kenda Happy Medium??
    By gonzo1034 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-14-2013, 01:31 PM
  2. A Happy Medium
    By FatTireGoose in forum North & South Carolina
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 08:06 AM
  3. Kenda EC "Happy Medium"
    By in the trees in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 07:22 AM
  4. Kenda Happy Medium Tire
    By mango12 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM
  5. Happy Medium Tire by Kenda
    By John's Smith in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-23-2010, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •