Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Recovering couch patato

JUST IN : Schwalbe Super Moto 28x2.35 676/685g

Schwalbe Art. Nr. : 10600012
    HS338

Evo
    Compound : 3NC
    Weight on sticker : "ca. 690g"

Roughly 300g less than the already well-performing Big Apple of the same size. 150g lighter than the folding Lite version.

Bug your local shop to order you a pair.

Rough measurement and first impressions, to follow when I get time.
    At first glace, they are the same as the Lite versions I now also own. Same mold used, obviously. These may stretch better though, as they're basically Racing Ralph 2.4's without knobs.

Schwalbe specs 2.0-4.0 bar, but I know I'll be running them between 1.0 (or less) and 3.0.
    No point inflating these to 4.0, at 3.0 they'll likely roll faster anyway, on anything but the smoothest of concrete surface.

I'll mount them on my Redline Flight which now gets both my commuting and rare off-road mileage.

Color : Black with large white letters.

Note that these are named 28", likely because of being more trekking-purpose for Schwalbe, not associated with MTB's.

In 26", these end up a lot on trekking bikes with 26" frames and Rohloff hub. You get the idea. But they can do so much more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JUST IN : Schwalbe Super Moto 28x2.35 676/685g-super-moto-29-800.jpg  

Last edited by Cloxxki; 04-22-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Schwalbe Art. Nr. : 10600012
    HS338

Evo
    Compound : 3NC
    Weight on sticker : "ca. 690g"

Roughly 300g less than the already well-performing Big Apple of the same size. 150g lighter than the folding Lite version.

Bug your local shop to order you a pair.

Rough measurement and first impressions, to follow when I get time.
    At first glace, they are the same as the Lite versions I now also own. Same mold used, obviously. These may stretch better though, as they're basically Racing Ralph 2.4's without knobs.

Schwalbe specs 2.0-4.0 bar, but I know I'll be running them between 1.0 (or less) and 3.0.
    No point inflating these to 4.0, at 3.0 they'll likely roll faster anyway, on anything but the smoothest of concrete surface.

I'll mount them on my Redline Flight which now gets both my commuting and rare off-road mileage.

Color : Black with large white letters.

Note that these are named 28", likely because of being more trekking-purpose for Schwalbe, not associated with MTB's.

In 26", these end up a lot on trekking bikes with 26" frames and Rohloff hub. You get the idea. But they can do so much more!
    Nice! Now I need to finish the bike they would be perfect for.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

transmitter~receiver
    and i need to start one!

Recovering couch patato
    So what setups are you guys looking at?

For myself, living in a region with mostly sand-based smooth trails, I can see the 676g SuperMoto replacing a Racing Ralph 2.4", for most riding I do.

For XC racing, I might try one of the 400-500g offerings, perhaps even the Rediculous Fred.

By those using 26" SM's (26" itself is another form of SM, one might argue) for beach racing, they work well with latex tubeless. It will be interesting to see how the beads on these end up fitting.

So what setups are you guys looking at?

For myself, living in a region with mostly sand-based smooth trails, I can see the 676g SuperMoto replacing a Racing Ralph 2.4", for most riding I do.

For XC racing, I might try one of the 400-500g offerings, perhaps even the Rediculous Fred.

By those using 26" SM's (26" itself is another form of SM, one might argue) for beach racing, they work well with latex tubeless. It will be interesting to see how the beads on these end up fitting.
    Mine is a frame I started a year ago at Steve Garro's shop. It is still a "BLO" (bicycle like object) as I am lacking the shop facilities to finish it.

A "roadster" in a cruiser/hot rod way rather than Dutch city bike. Long, low and clean. Plan to use Sturmey-Archer 8-speed internal gear hub with drum brakes F&R. Swing dropouts. Not this color scheme. May or may not have fenders.
    p3270262.jpg

cococamino.jpg
    mtbtires.com

Recovering couch patato
    Interesting project Shiggy!

Initial inflation :
    Mavic A119 rim. 24mm wide?
    45psi on my cheap alu track pump. I don't even like to put in more, let alone ever ride at that much.
    I don't have caliper, but I eyeballed it to be 58mm already, +/- 0.2mm. Will see how that progresses as it sits there.
    On this rim, the fit is rather loose.
    Interestingly, the tire can stand on it's own, the rubber seems to offer sufficient support.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JUST IN : Schwalbe Super Moto 28x2.35 676/685g-super-moto-29-800.jpg  

Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Interestingly, the tire can stand on it's own, the rubber seems to offer sufficient support.
    It is the "solid" rubber tread. The 26" Super Moto does that, too.
    mtbtires.com

Powered by ice cream.
    Nice. The Nano is out of a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    It is the "solid" rubber tread. The 26" Super Moto does that, too.
    So, is this 10% more impressive for a 29" tire, or 21%, being the square of 110%? :-)

Really, the 690g target weight to me is very promising. It will perform better in all ways than the legendary Super Moto 26", and weigh only ~70g more.

In 26", on simple XC rims, I've seen the Super Moto to measure 60mm. On worthy rims such as Flows, Semi's or even P35's (not even a heavy combi with the latter), I would not be surprised people getting 62mm or so.

I seem to remember rolling resistance tests carried out by Schwalbe enginerds showing the SuperMoto actually rolled about as fast over asphalt as a top road race tire. The 29" version, obviously will roll better, while matching it to super duper MTB compliant goodness.
    No, not a tire for loose gravel descends, but if you're on a century ride, and spot some sweet singletrack shadowing the road, you'll be just fine there.

If that announced Alfine 11spd works out well, I can see myself building a dirt cheap steel frame with one. Redline Monocog frames are awesome for complaince and pedaling efficiency. A long top tube also works out well with the inverted trekking riser bars I like.

Awesomely bomber 29" bikes don't need to be "heavy" anymore.
    Bugs me that it took them years to make it after we offered to order a couple thousand tires, but at least now it exists, and just as I wanted it, sub 700g and full spec.

I like that the tire has these grey beads. You can tell whether the tire sits in the rim hooks well.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by Enel
    Nice. The Nano is out of a job.
    To a degree. A Nano will always be the better off-road tire I suppose, its traction is unreal on some surfaces. If you run BA's at decently low pressure, they're fine to get by. SM's will (should) be better.
    Really, I'd want a Furious Fred in 2.4. Make it over the top puncture proof, it will still be light and fast. Would make a great front with a SM rear. I did some beach races with a BA rear and Fast Fred 2.35 front. Great combo.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

So, is this 10% more impressive for a 29" tire, or 21%, being the square of 110%? :-)

Really, the 690g target weight to me is very promising. It will perform better in all ways than the legendary Super Moto 26", and weigh only ~70g more.

In 26", on simple XC rims, I've seen the Super Moto to measure 60mm. On worthy rims such as Flows, Semi's or even P35's (not even a heavy combi with the latter), I would not be surprised people getting 62mm or so.

I seem to remember rolling resistance tests carried out by Schwalbe enginerds showing the SuperMoto actually rolled about as fast over asphalt as a top road race tire. The 29" version, obviously will roll better, while matching it to super duper MTB compliant goodness.
    No, not a tire for loose gravel descends, but if you're on a century ride, and spot some sweet singletrack shadowing the road, you'll be just fine there.

If that announced Alfine 11spd works out well, I can see myself building a dirt cheap steel frame with one. Redline Monocog frames are awesome for complaince and pedaling efficiency. A long top tube also works out well with the inverted trekking riser bars I like.

Awesomely bomber 29" bikes don't need to be "heavy" anymore.
    Bugs me that it took them years to make it after we offered to order a couple thousand tires, but at least now it exists, and just as I wanted it, sub 700g and full spec.

I like that the tire has these grey beads. You can tell whether the tire sits in the rim hooks well.
    That grey bead is also a softer rubber to reduce rotational slip on the rim.

It is a very impressive weight for the tire. I plan on use at least 27mm wide rims for my Roadster. Likely Sun Equalizers but maybe something even wider.

The S-A 8-speed hubs are a bargain compared to the Alfine. For your cost of just the Shimano hub (no cog or shifter) I can get front and rear drum brake S-A hubs (even a dynamo front), cog and shifter. The whole drivetrain (excluding crankset) and brakes (excluding levers) for the bike. Downside is the gearing is 1:1 in low and overdrive for the other 7 ratios. Requires a very small chainring to pair with the 25T cog for big wheels.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, Shiggy, you could probably run a granny ring then have a custom HbC bashguard made to fit really tightly to the spider so it all looks nice. I like the overall idea. It's what I want to do at some point. Drum brake cruiser. Brown with gold. Wood fenders. Silver components. Brooks saddle and grips. Dynamo hub and refurb an old housing with my modern 4x LED 600 lumen internals.

Are these available in NA yet? I don't see the sizes on their site. Will a 2.0 version also be available?

Waiting for Godot
    Really, I'd want a Furious Fred in 2.4. Make it over the top puncture proof, it will still be light and fast.
    now your talking my language. i would really dig that tire!!!! kind of like what my RR2.4 look like when they get worn out......
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Well, Shiggy, you could probably run a granny ring then have a custom HbC bashguard made to fit really tightly to the spider so it all looks nice. I like the overall idea. It's what I want to do at some point. Drum brake cruiser. Brown with gold. Wood fenders. Silver components. Brooks saddle and grips. Dynamo hub and refurb an old housing with my modern 4x LED 600 lumen internals.

Are these available in NA yet? I don't see the sizes on their site. Will a 2.0 version also be available?
    Profile Racing crank and a 30T chainwheel. No bash or chain guard needed with the single rear cog.
    mtbtires.com

Recovering couch patato
    Shiggy, I am intrigued, will need to get myself educated on the SA. I don't need to climb hils, so it may turn out OK for me.

Tire grew to 59mm overnight, say 10 hours at 45psi.

I have a Sun EQ27 wheel coming to me soon.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Recovering couch patato
    Today I had the tire sit at 50psi. Measured it a good 59mm.
    Aired back down to 40psi, and still it's 59mm.

And, this is on a 24mm narrow Mavic trekking rim. This tire is the real deal.

What would you guys guess it would measure when put on a Kris Holm 47mm rim? And how would casing height be affected?
    I'm considering that rim, due to being barely heavier than this tire, and just 110g more than a Velocity 35mm.
    Just wonder whether my knobbies will still in the back of my frames with such wide rims...
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Does anyone carry this new tire? I've checked all my usual, online sources. Nothing.

It looks like exactly what I'm after.

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Does anyone carry this new tire? I've checked all my usual, online sources. Nothing.

It looks like exactly what I'm after.
    Apparently 200 tires were made. Don't count on a single tire outside the country of manufacture, or Europe. Some patience, and bugging local distributors.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Dr. Frost
    I'm a 26" revert...but this tire would be perfect on my "road bike on steroids"...any here in the US?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Not interested. This tire is 1" or 3.5% smaller than I need for my 29er.

Recovering couch patato
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastskiguy
    I'm a 26" revert...but this tire would be perfect on my "road bike on steroids"...any here in the US?
    Practice patience or impatience.

German brands like to say "there is no damand for this product".
    I bet Schwalbe North America is on the case, but they'll need some time to get an order processes, produced and shipped.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Man I want a pair or two of these! That weight is really impressive for that size. I'll call the US importer on Monday and see what they say on availability.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Now maybe next year they'll give us a 650B version.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Now maybe next year they'll give us a 650B version.
    Unlike the 700C versions, no molds exist for a 650B.
    mtbtires.com

Recovering couch patato
    Ben, your tire cutting skills might make something killer our of this ;-)

Total tire height of the tread less hairs I'm eyeballing to be 56mm, I suppose this makes the casing some 55mm.
    Casing width at 40psi stabilizes (unridden) at 59mm for now.

Fat, light, fast.

Pick all three.

People will ask for puncture resistance and tubeless ease, but others will find out about those better than I could. Don't have any latex on hand anyway.
    With 1mm of rubber nearly covering the casing, it might be about as puncture-proof as the original big apple. Which in my mind is pretty okay compared to other urban tires. The tread being less high might make it more vulnerable to sharp objects which do manage to find the thinnest part of the tread, not being guarded by surrounding knobs as much.

It's a really light tire for its size for road use, but of course the similarly sized Racing Ralph knobby is lighter.

Darn, I wish I had 35mm and 47mm rims on hand now. I just gotta know what those would do to total (cross-section) volume, and not unimportant : casing height.
    I once rode someone's freeride type bike, wide rims, and 26" BA's at high pressure, that was pretty wild for urban racing/playing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast