Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    www.bigrobracing.co.uk

Just Got Some Reynolds Carbon XC 29er Wheels!

I just had to share! I've just taken delivery of some Reynolds 29er Carbon wheels. I'm super excited.

Not only are the rims lovely and wide, but they're light too :-) Should stiffen up the front end of the bike and give awesome steering accuracy. It'll be interested to see if I can feel the difference at the back too. Off to ride them now, but I just had to share! They come with a tubeless style rim internal shape and were supplied with adaptors for all possibilities of hub and tubeless valves and tape. Top work by the guys at Reynolds :-)

There are a few more details and specs on my blog HERE

For those of you (most of you?!) who just want to see the black hoops of speed; here they are:

And now: RIDING! :-)
    Last edited by robdeanhove; 03-24-2012 at 10:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had a pair since January. I've put about 100 miles on mine and they are awesome.

mtbr member
    What is the internal width?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Can you get the decals off??

mtbr member
    24 spokes? Interesting.

mtbr member
    Nice.

I think you might need a longer valve stem though.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    What is the internal width?
    Officially they're 21mm internally, but I used 25mm tape as the 21mm tape didn't quite reach the sides, so they may even be a little wider in reality

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Nice.

I think you might need a longer valve stem though.
    Cheers, I thought so too!

Longer valve stem is sorted. In there at the moment are a couple of tubes I chucked in to get me rolling. The tubeless valves that were included as standard are a good chunk longer and protrude a sensible amount through the rim.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Noclutch View Post
    24 spokes? Interesting.
    With a super stiff rim, there will be less flexing and less fatigue of the spokes, this should give me better handling and lower weight and enables the spoke count to be low whilst keeping the strength up.

The loads, which are taken on only a few of the spokes at any one time on a spoked wheel, are distributed to more of the spokes, and more evenly, with a stiffer rim. As the peak spoke tension on the most highly loaded spoke should be less with a stiffer rim, I am expecting better durability than my 32H Crest rims.

Spoke tensions seem nice and high and extremely even out of the box.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubas View Post
    Can you get the decals off??
    Yes, it appears the decals could be peeled off to leave the bare rim, if you want to do that

11 is one louder than 10
    did you compare actual weights to the MFG stated weights?

hows the rear hub engagement?
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    I like them! And the price here ain't that bad!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    On sale for $1200 at Colorado Cyclist.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
    did you compare actual weights to the MFG stated weights?
    They came fitted with rim tape, so I weighed them with this fitted, but they came to 1601g on my (un-calibrated) kitchen scales, 5g within the stated weight and way more accurate than I would dare to claim my kitchen scales measurement could possibly be, and this MUST be down to the rim tape, Notubes reckon 2-3g/wheel for tape so they're within 1g!!!!

This has to be a first for a MTB part to weigh the same as the stated weigh, a MASSIVE thumbs up to Reynolds (who could have easily quoted 1515g +/- 5% for example).

I am a very happy boy.

Cassoulet forever !
    To these have a UST rim bead like ENVE ?
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    To these have a UST rim bead like ENVE ?
    Yes, mine has a UST style rim profile with raised/locking sections at the outside for a secure tubless setup. Shown there with a tube in, but they're now running tubeless (non-UST tyres with sealant) just fine

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    They're just close to cheap enough to consider over Mavic's or e*Thirteen's. Any idea if the front hubs work with 20mm ? Some places list the front as 15 or 9, other's say 20mm. My fork restricts me to 20mm.

How's the rear hub ? Do they make their own ? Seems like that was the weak point of the Haven's.

www.bigrobracing.co.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by ben2e View Post
    They're just close to cheap enough to consider over Mavic's or e*Thirteen's. Any idea if the front hubs work with 20mm ? Some places list the front as 15 or 9, other's say 20mm. My fork restricts me to 20mm.

How's the rear hub ? Do they make their own ? Seems like that was the weak point of the Haven's.
    Axle compatibility: You don;t need to ask on internet forums, the answer is on their website HERE, the front hub is compatible with 9mm QR, 15mm thru-axle AND 20MM thru-axle

Rear hub, I don't know and haven't taken mine apart, but I have heard they use the DT system, which I have had great experience with. The reason I've not taken mine apart is that it's been totally worry free, which might be part of the answer you were looking for.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I saw the mention on Reynolds site but it's different then the spec mentioned on CC which made me believe they might have some older version. Hope that the Reynolds site is the correct one !

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Just spoke to Reynolds. They just came out with a 2013 model which is the one on their site. CC has the 2012 model. Only the 2013 one will work with 20mm front. There are other minor differences. New one has straight pull spokes, different nipple threads but the same rims are on both. Old model is a great buy if you have a 15mm fork and can be converted to 142x12 rear.

It ain't easy being Green
    I purchased a pair from CC, put them on my new Superfly and couldn't be happier. I'm running them tubeless with Bonty 29.3 tires and they are super-light and stiff. I was concerned at first that 24 spokes wouldn't be enough but it simply hasn't been an issue, at least for the couple hundred miles I have ridden them. So far so good

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hope this doesn't come out the wrong way, but my question is about the weight of the Reynolds. I know carbon wheels is more than just weight, the stiffness is insanely great, but from a weight weenie perspective did the near-1600 gram mass of the Reynolds kind of a little remorse into the purchase?

Say the Reynolds are $1000. Often used Rovals can be found for around $1100 and they are anywhere from 1440 to 1520-ish.

Chinese carbon wheels can be built up for about $1000 with highend hubs such as DT Swiss 240 and weigh about the same as the Reynolds with their presumably inferior hubs. Notice I didn't put "cheap" because the rims are indeed high quality and by the time everything is built the $800-$1000 wheels are a big chunk of $$$.

Again, please do not read this in a negative tone. I'm still on the fence about buying new carbon wheels (165 pounds before gear, aggressive xc racer, using ZTR Crest and looking for more stiffness). I can get local Performance store to price match Colorado Cyclist and I'd get 10% back and their guarantee/return policy.

It ain't easy being Green
    No offense taken! Put it this way; After I stripped the tires off Bonty wheels that came with my bike and put them on the Reynolds, the Reynolds still weighed less than the Bonty's (I'm guessing and probably exaggerating but not by much), so I came out way ahead. You are correct that I could have purchased a used set of Rovals for ~$1200 (Ebay), but used by who, and for what? As I said, right now I couldn't be happier; maybe in a year I'll think differently.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Hope this doesn't come out the wrong way, but my question is about the weight of the Reynolds. I know carbon wheels is more than just weight, the stiffness is insanely great, but from a weight weenie perspective did the near-1600 gram mass of the Reynolds kind of a little remorse into the purchase?

Say the Reynolds are $1000. Often used Rovals can be found for around $1100 and they are anywhere from 1440 to 1520-ish.

Chinese carbon wheels can be built up for about $1000 with highend hubs such as DT Swiss 240 and weigh about the same as the Reynolds with their presumably inferior hubs. Notice I didn't put "cheap" because the rims are indeed high quality and by the time everything is built the $800-$1000 wheels are a big chunk of $$$.

Again, please do not read this in a negative tone. I'm still on the fence about buying new carbon wheels (165 pounds before gear, aggressive xc racer, using ZTR Crest and looking for more stiffness). I can get local Performance store to price match Colorado Cyclist and I'd get 10% back and their guarantee/return policy.

But come with inherent risk since there is no warranty on second hand pair.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    One has to compare apples to apples on rim widths. The Reynolds rims are 29mm OD and should be compared to Enve AM wheels. If you do this the weights are spot on. I trust Reynolds years of carbon tech over Specialized and the Chinese rims for sure. J

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast