Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Deere Rider

Just for fun...26 vs. 29

I know this has been posted many times previously...but here's a couple comparison pics of Hans Dampfs in 26 and 29 sizes. XT 26 wheels are 21mm internal and Flow EX are just over 25mm. It certainly is easy to see why 29s feel so much better rolling over the chunk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just for fun...26 vs. 29-2012-12-15_13-53-31_624.jpg  

Just for fun...26 vs. 29-2012-12-15_13-55-20_514.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    29er tires are bigger than 26 inch tires????? No way bro!

Jk

Get one with a 650b for an all 3 comparison. I like both 26 and 29. Had a 29ht but sold it for a 26fs and couldn't be happier... Unless I had another HT 29.

And an FS 29

And a 8 inch dh 26 FS

Hell and a track bike.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    I like both 26 and 29. Had a 29ht but sold it for a 26fs and couldn't be happier... Unless I had another HT 29.

And an FS 29

And a 8 inch dh 26 FS

Hell and a track bike.
    I hear ya'...add a fat bike for my list. It never ends...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    26 is way to go dudes

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I like 26's, they are better like chicken

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I heard an interesting comparison the other day:
    Going to a 29er from a 26 is like going to a long board from a short board (surfing).
    That's been my experience too, and sticking with the 26.

'07 575
    '10 303 R-DH
    '13 Uzzi (this Jan!)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    Going to a 29er from a 26 is like going to a long board from a short board (surfing).

'07 575
    '10 303 R-DH
    '13 Uzzi (this Jan!)
    THATS IT!

I've been looking for a good comparison to explain my feelings about this..This is it. I can sleep now.
    lean forward

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009

'07 575
    '10 303 R-DH
    '13 Uzzi (this Jan!)
    what if you are surfing 10m high waves in Hawaii...would a short board work well? I know nothing about surfing btw.

cowbell
    I think it's quite interesting how some people just can't make a 29er work for them, and stick with the 26er. I rode a 29er and knew I couldn't go back to a 26er, and there are many others who feel the same. To me it shows that more options being out there (650b now) may ultimately make more people happy on a bike. That's the point, right? Ride what makes you happy. But really - that's the point of comment. Interesting the differences in people....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    what if you are surfing 10m high waves in Hawaii...would a short board work well? I know nothing about surfing btw.
    10ft waves are short board if you have skills. 20 ft would be a big wave board, not a long board. I guess that makes my AM bike like a short board and my DH like a big gun.
    Most people learn on a long board cause they are easy to stand up on, and they are used for smaller waves for the most part.

I grew up in BMX, never been a roadie. I still jump 20+ and 30+ footers. A niner is like getting on a beach cruiser vs. a BMX bike for me. I love the bumps and ruts and look for the hardest line, not try to make it easier. At 43, I still ride like a 20 year old and just don't need a big wheel for.....wait,.why do you guys ride niners again???

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    THATS IT!

I've been looking for a good comparison to explain my feelings about this..This is it. I can sleep now.
    You're welcome, bro.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    10ft waves are short board if you have skills. 20 ft would be a big wave board, not a long board. I guess that makes my AM bike like a short board and my DH like a big gun.
    Most people learn on a long board cause they are easy to stand up on, and they are used for smaller waves for the most part.

I grew up in BMX, never been a roadie. I still jump 20+ and 30+ footers. A niner is like getting on a beach cruiser vs. a BMX bike for me. I love the bumps and ruts and look for the hardest line, not try to make it easier. At 43, I still ride like a 20 year old and just don't need a big wheel for.....wait,.why do you guys ride niners again???
    C'mon, I dying to hear the answer.....

mtbr member
    When you ride up a hill also, then let us know how ya feel John...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    C'mon, I dying to hear the answer.....
    For the same reason you ride a 26 or 650b or whatever your on. Type of riding,open minded, have not been on a 26 for decades etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by elcaro1101 View Post
    When you ride up a hill also, then let us know how ya feel John...
    Nice try,
    Ride about 100 miles a week on my AM, 1/2 of those miles are uphill.

Now, back to the question.
    Why do you guys like 9er's?

I think its hilarious when a guy wearing tights says to me, "Oh, you still have a 26er" I just think- Wow, no clue. To each their own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I like hardtails for their lighter weight and pedaling efficiency gains. The 29" wheel gives me nearly the same ride comfort as a 4" 26er, plus it tends to go over the slow technical rocks better. The manuevering difference is largely due to longer chainstays on 29" bikes, but a 29er HT has nearly the same CS length as any 26er FS.

I don't see myself ever getting a 29er FS. But I'd be happy to supplant my 29er race HT with a 26" FS with 120 mm travel or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I gotta try the SB95 and the Pivot 650B.(i think its a pivot)
    Just haven't found one i can shred on yet, and don't expect to.
    Uphills are easy when you are in shape, BTW.
    I stand and grind all day long....

Deere Rider
    Nice try,
    Ride about 100 miles a week on my AM, 1/2 of those miles are uphill.

Now, back to the question.
    Why do you guys like 9er's?

I think its hilarious when a guy wearing tights says to me, "Oh, you still have a 26er" I just think- Wow, no clue. To each their own.
    I am faster over rough terrain with less effort on a bike with 29" wheels vs. a comparable 26" wheel. Notice I said "I am faster" not "everyone". I actually find I can climb a gear or two higher and faster on a 29 vs. 26 due to the better roll-over angle and greater momentum carried. On flats it feels like there's an electric motor assist on your bike with the 29. I didn't believe it until I tried it...have no issues with 26" wheels and still have them in my stable.

My hunch is that 26" will largely be replaced by 27.5" over the next decade due to the big wheel momentum in the current marketplace. Whether or not that's warranted...the tide will go where the money is. Now...a 160-170mm 27.5 FS...I could go for that in a few years once the new format is ironed out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    I am faster over rough terrain with less effort on a bike with 29" wheels vs. a comparable 26" wheel. Notice I said "I am faster" not "everyone". I actually find I can climb a gear or two higher and faster on a 29 vs. 26 due to the better roll-over angle and greater momentum carried. On flats it feels like there's an electric motor assist on your bike with the 29. I didn't believe it until I tried it...have no issues with 26" wheels and still have them in my stable.

My hunch is that 26" will largely be replaced by 27.5" over the next decade due to the big wheel momentum in the current marketplace. Whether or not that's warranted...the tide will go where the money is. Now...a 160-170mm 27.5 FS...I could go for that in a few years once the new format is ironed out.
    I could go for that too. The niner is like a big sail out front for me. Can't imagine riding it like I ride now, although I have seen it done in videos with pro DH guys at the controls. Funny, I just got back from a 5 hour ride and it was uphill the whole way. The downs go by so fast. Rocky Peak for those who know California trails. It is just like the name says, rocky. Did Chumash trail too, twice and a bunch of side trails. The whole thing is a technical climb (if you don't take the well-established easy lines), but not the hardest by any means. I just don't see the point in sacrificing the fun to climb a bit faster or make it easier.

I'm not concerned with being the fastest out there anyway, but I usually am. Its more like style and flow are more important. A 650B might be a future purchase, but set on a new 7" trail/AM bike around 30 lbs this January and probably going with the Uzzi. One of the Redbull Rampage guys just did his line on a 27.5 and said it was the best ever. Maybe it will be the best of both worlds, but like you say, until they get it right with a long travel AM design, I'm waiting on the 650...

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    It certainly is easy to see why 29s feel so much better rolling over the chunk.
    How exactly do you see that from those pictures? I can see that the 29 is a bit bigger than the 26, but I'm curious how you spot the "roll over chunk-ability"..

I build my own.
    10ft waves are short board if you have skills. 20 ft would be a big wave board, not a long board. I guess that makes my AM bike like a short board and my DH like a big gun...

.....wait,.why do you guys ride niners again???
    10m = approx. 33 feet. I'm not a surfer either & slightly curious. How long is a "big wave board"?

I ride a 29er because I like it. Same reason I ride a hardtail instead of a FS. Same reason I use a Rogue Hoe instead of a McLeod.

I've owned lots of 26er's, FS bikes and McLeods.

If you want to find out what's "so great" about 29er's, ride one. A lot. If you don't find anything great about it after riding one for a while, then the answer is, there's nothing great about 29er's.

I'm so glad that I'm able to think for myself and make my own decisions and not have to convert everyone around me to my way of thinking just so I can feel that I belong.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    How exactly do you see that from those pictures? I can see that the 29 is a bit bigger than the 26, but I'm curious how you spot the "roll over chunk-ability"..
    The taller the wheel, the shallower the angle of impact with a given object. Thus, the taller wheel wants to roll over the object easier instead of "stalling" on said object. Think skateboard wheel vs. monster truck tire as an extreme. The difference in this angle between 26 and 29 is small (I don't have the actual geometry) but is quite noticeable on rough terrain, in my opinion.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I'm so glad that I'm able to think for myself and make my own decisions and not have to convert everyone around me to my way of thinking just so I can feel that I belong.
    Priceless wisdom!

Deere Rider
    I could go for that too. The niner is like a big sail out front for me. Can't imagine riding it like I ride now, although I have seen it done in videos with pro DH guys at the controls. Funny, I just got back from a 5 hour ride and it was uphill the whole way. The downs go by so fast. Rocky Peak for those who know California trails. It is just like the name says, rocky. Did Chumash trail too, twice and a bunch of side trails. The whole thing is a technical climb (if you don't take the well-established easy lines), but not the hardest by any means. I just don't see the point in sacrificing the fun to climb a bit faster or make it easier.

I'm not concerned with being the fastest out there anyway, but I usually am. Its more like style and flow are more important. A 650B might be a future purchase, but set on a new 7" trail/AM bike around 30 lbs this January and probably going with the Uzzi. One of the Redbull Rampage guys just did his line on a 27.5 and said it was the best ever. Maybe it will be the best of both worlds, but like you say, until they get it right with a long travel AM design, I'm waiting on the 650...
    If you're "surfing" an Uzzi it may be difficult to adapt to a 29er. One of the Lenz Sport bikes would probably get you as close as anything. I am waiting on a Transition Covert 29 frame which is along the same lines. I am coming from a Yeti ASR 7 but my riding style is wheels on the ground speed and technical stuff. I don't need huge travel but the ability to fly through and conquer technical terrain is a premium. The bigger wheel just makes this easier, thus I can push my boundaries farther, thus...more fun.

One thing is certain, it's a great time to be a mountain biker with so many options of ultra capable bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Priceless wisdom!
    The Uzzi is still a 26 and has a more modern geometry than my bikes 5 year old design. They can be built to about 30lbs for AM, or beefed up for FR & DH at aroiund 36lbs. A slacker head angle will make it climb over rough better as a bonus, but more importantly be more stable on the steep stuff going down. When i say steep, I mean straight down. I have ridden plenty of niners, but never a 650b, so keeping eye out for a chance to really ride one. Never gonna have a 9er, though.

At 6'-3" my short board is 6-4, my big wave board was a 7'6" and never owned a long board, but learned on an 8-0 when I was 10. A long board for my size now would be 9' to 9'-6" or more....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast