Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    quote:
    I'm so glad that I'm able to think for myself and make my own decisions and not have to convert everyone around me to my way of thinking just so I can feel that I belong.
    Which is why I asked. I don't see anyone doing anything impressive on the 9ers that any other wheel size can't do. Just don't get why they are pushed so hard in bike shops, and sold to guys who are 5 feet tall who would probably do much better on an appropriate size bike.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarjohn21 View Post
    Just don't get why they are pushed so hard in bike shops, and sold to guys who are 5 feet tall who would probably do much better on an appropriate size bike.
    There are guys who are 5 feet tall?

cowbell
    Why do I ride a 29er? I ride one because I'm a tall guy, and when I got on one, it felt better than a 26er to me. I'm pretty much just an old cross country guy, I get a little air, and I like to go fast. I get more traction on the 29er, and I can't say that I understand people who think 29ers don't or can't be made to go around turns like a 26er will - I'm sure you CAN turn a 26er tighter than a 29er, but the guys lecturing me about stuff like that locally can't keep up with me in the tightest most technical trail in this area.

I ride a 29er because it feels better to me than a 26er, which is the same reason that you ride a 26er instead of a 29er, it feels better than you. Why do you feel the need to display your smug (and misplaced) superiority in the tone of your posed question? Why not just understand that people will ride different bikes. People will use different tools to build trails. As long as the trails get built, and people enjoy riding them, who cares what they were built with or what they ride them on?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Simply put,all wheel sizes are good,choice is your friend!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    There are guys who are 5 feet tall?
    Only when on their knees

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    The taller the wheel, the shallower the angle of impact with a given object. Thus, the taller wheel wants to roll over the object easier instead of "stalling" on said object. Think skateboard wheel vs. monster truck tire as an extreme. The difference in this angle between 26 and 29 is small (I don't have the actual geometry) but is quite noticeable on rough terrain, in my opinion.
    ^This

It's the same reason why the 4x4 rock crawlers use 38"+ tires to get over the technical stuff. More traction, better angle of attack. The down side is added weight and maneuverability at speed. It's not a set in stone law though, I've seen Suzuki Samurais climb much of the same stuff with 30" tires. It is a different experience.

The same goes for MTBs. You'll be able to do just about the same stuff on any type of bike. It comes down to preference. There isn't a right or wrong answer.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the answers, Didn't think my question was going to offend anyone, but apparently some people feel pretty threatened by such things. That's all, got it. Move along...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Conversations like this prove the Mayans were/are right!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    Conversations like this prove the Mayans were/are right!
    One more day to go. I already spent all my savings now I just need to do one last ride.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

No Stranger to danger....
    when are we going to get a 29er vs BMX thread?

I think i'll make one.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

human dehumidifier
    Get away from the long "standard geometry" 29er and try a slack and short one. It might change your mind. Maybe not - but you'll never know until you try.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    But seriously, the geometry and turning radius of a unicycle is where it's at. Plus you don't have the added weight of those pesky brakes.

toscano
    Depends on the type of land. Both options have advantages and disadvantages. Personally I do not think that the 26 are to be thrown away, and that 29 are perfect everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by toscano View Post
    Depends on the type of land. Both options have advantages and disadvantages. Personally I do not think that the 26 are to be thrown away, and that 29 are perfect everywhere.
    You do or do not think 29ers are perfect everywhere? I was a tad confused.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

toscano
    29ers bikes are a great novelty, many big companies invest a lot of money but I have never believed in bikes perfect "everywhere". I prefer to use a 26 and a cx, I choose by destination.
    I also think that 29ers are a good idea to let poeple spend their money.

Trail Ninja
    Those pics don't look complete without the 650b in the middle now.

Why are people so obsessed about picking just one wheel size? It's good to have options and pick the ideal one for whatever conditions and preferences you have. In the automotive industry, you got wide range of widths: 135, 195, 235mm, etc.; wide range of diameters: 560, 650, 800mm, etc.; different rim sizes: 14, 15, 16, 18", etc.... and they measure things like rolling circumference.

It was the bike industry that was sort of resistant to all the extra sizes/standards in the past. They gave reasons related to manufacturing issues and profitability, but now they don't seem to be so modest in pushing new standards and proprietary stuff. What's changed since then? If we keep moving forward, will we see something more akin to the automotive industry? What are the downsides? My only worry was the increase in prices. People were accustomed to finding sales and paying $20-40 in the past, but now are reasoning $40-60 per tire is a good deal for high performance German made tires or whatever, due to MSRPs reaching around $60-100. Maybe the same could be said for bikes, with people accustomed to paying $1200-2500 for complete bikes, who are now reasoning $3000-4500 ain't so bad with MSRPs reaching $6000-10000 on top high performance bikes.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Those pics don't look complete without the 650b in the middle now.

Why are people so obsessed about picking just one wheel size? It's good to have options and pick the ideal one for whatever conditions and preferences you have. In the automotive industry, you got wide range of widths: 135, 195, 235mm, etc.; wide range of diameters: 560, 650, 800mm, etc.; different rim sizes: 14, 15, 16, 18", etc.... and they measure things like rolling circumference.

It was the bike industry that was sort of resistant to all the extra sizes in the past. They gave reasons related to manufacturing issues and profitability, but now they don't seem to be so modest in pushing new standards and proprietary stuff. What's changed since then? If we keep moving forward, will we see something more akin to the automotive industry? What are the downsides? My only worry was the increase in prices. People were accustomed to finding sales and paying $20-40 in the past, but now are reasoning $40-60 per tire is a good deal for high performance German made tires or whatever, due to MSRPs reaching around $60-100. Maybe the same could be said for bikes, with people accustomed to paying $1200-2500 for complete bikes, who are now reasoning $3000-4500 ain't so bad with MSRPs reaching $6000-10000 on top high performance bikes.
    Trust me, I sorely wish I had a bike on which to mount a set of 27.5 HDs. I have no issues with all three wheel sizes. For the riding I do a 29" wheel is amazing. But, darn it if the 26" bike isn't still just as fun as it ever was! I will tell my wife I need to evaluate the "funability" of a 27.5 as well.

mtbr member
    OMG! I can't take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    OMG! I can't take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!
    Which would die first? Beating a 29er or 26 inch wheel?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    26er for the twisty bits. 29er for the flowing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just get a few different boards and bikes and have the best of all worlds!

hold my beer & watch this
    Jan 2007
    Had a 26" bike, rode my brothers 29" bike and it was a really noticeable difference, seemed both faster and smoother.
    To be fair, his was a much nicer bike than mine - not sure if the difference in bike quality made the difference or the 26 vs 29.
    All I know right now is, I have a 29" bike and really enjoy it. Best? Can't say, and don't care, it is a nice bike and a lot of fun.
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
    -- Robert Heinlein --

Wanderer
    I have both and ride them both regularly. 26er hard tail and a 29er full suspension. The 26er is more fun to ride for me but my back prefers the 29er on rooty trails. I feel faster on the 26er but my friends say I'm faster on the 29er. There are tight lines I can take on the 26er that I can't quite take on the 29er. However there are rooty spots I can stay seated on the 29er that still feel better then standing on the 26er. Tire grip on the 29er is better. The 26er is lighter and it accelerates faster. I like having both and getting to choose.

mtbr member
    nevermind... happy holidays!
    Last edited by boostin; 12-23-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: nevermind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2