mtbr member

Jeff Jones H-Bar On A Geared Mtb?

Putting a Karate Monkey build for the gf. She's adamant she wants a 3x10 set up, but she's also adamant she want the above H-Bar (not the cut out kind).

Can it be done, bearing in mind most brake levers and shifters (well, SD7 and Deore) don't hinge open wide enough to be able to wrap it over the 'closed loop' area of the H-Bar?

Is there room to slide a brake lever, then a shifter and finally the grip from the end of the bar?

If any of you have pics of your geared H-Bars set up I'd really appreciate it, as I would some advice to overcome this problem.

Thanks!
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm doing it, at least in 1X10, but I like the widest part of the bars, so I don't have the bars wrapped. I just put the brake lever and shifter up from the bar end. However, I believe Jeff considers the main hand position on the Loop bar to be right where I have my brake and shifter. I think he views the bar end/grips for descending. Your girlfriend might not have wide enough shoulders to use the bar end much, and she might be much happier where Jeff recommends. That would mean finding a way to place brake lever and shifter in the "closed" area. Go check out Jeff's website. I think he normally uses XT brake levers and Paul Thumbies shifters.

Edit: Here's some pretty good pics from Jeff's website:

Steel Spaceframe bike with XTR and two wheel sets | Jones Bikes
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 12-03-2012 at 11:56 AM.