mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Input/experience: Crossmax SLR vs Arch/AC/Sapim

looking at having good wheelbuilder at LBS build me a set of Arch/AmericanClassic/Sapim Cx ray 29er wheelset, but owner is also recommending the Crossmax SLR 29er for $50 more than Arches. Threw both sets up on scales and Crossmax set was 3 oz heavier than Arch build. Prob is he can't get hold of black sapim spokes currently. Only silver and I'd want black. However, I don't need a racebuild set really until spring as only riding some destination rides and some endurance races this winter and will use my Flow/Hope wheelset (almost 500 grams heavier!) if no new wheelset by then. I'm 180 and catting up after winning fall series cat 3 on 2007 gram (!!!) Flow/Hopes by Colorado Cyclist.

Comments/input?
    THanks,
    LG

mtbr member
    In my opinion Sapim Cx-rays are the worst.
    Might as well use elastic belts...
    Maybe if you are a petite French guy with a personal mechanic...
    Belgian beer and Scotch whisky.

mtbr member
    the 2013 SLR has been redesigned and now has a 4 paw hub. faster engagement than most and damn light for not being a carbon wheel. been running them for 6 months or so... I've beaten the crap outta them on various trails and have yet to have a problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ATX=thanks for input about Crossmax. I think I"m going up to my LBS to pull the trigger tomorrow on this set.

mtbr member
    Right on, give us a ride report!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX_fix View Post
    the 2013 SLR has been redesigned and now has a 4 paw hub. faster engagement than most and damn light for not being a carbon wheel. been running them for 6 months or so... I've beaten the crap outta them on various trails and have yet to have a problem.
    +1, these wheels rock and are superfast, and besides that they are fricking moto jewelry without a doubt the most beautiful wheelset I have ever set eyes on.

Birthday Collector
    We generally don't build Sapim spokes unless a customer specifically requires it - I'd go with the Arch/AC with DT spokes - Super Comp if you want light, or Comp if you want reasonably light with excellent durability. If these are going to be race-only wheels, then go as light as possible - if they are going to be trail-use as well, a few extra grams will make the wheels last a lot longer...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Both are great wheels, but the SLRs are lighter by about 130gms and they are stiffer. Plus UST makes setting up tubeless a snap! I recently bought some SLRs on eBay for way under retail.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

Rub it............
    If going with the Cossmax's, don't forget to order a couple extra spare spokes as well. If you don't have them, and your LBS doesn't stock them, then your LBS will have to be order them directly from Mavic.

I'd personally go Arch EX/DT Swiss 240 hubs/DT Comp or Supercomp spokes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mavic SLR/SL/ST are all great wheels in wagon wheel or otherwise. Pretty much bombproof. My only issue with them has been any time I've had to buy replacement/maintenance parts. That proprietary stuff is expensive and sometimes hard to get. At least it seems they may have fixed the freehub by redesigning and getting rid of that crappy bushing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    well first ride today bashing them around Lake Grapevine--"Northshore" trail to locals and BAM...felt like I was riding a motorized vehicle on some climbs! Pretty dang happy with my choice so far. Think I may be going to my local trail for a Strava hot lap this week!

mtbr member
    Heck yeah man! Are you tubeless? Gotta go tubeless if not!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    oh yes.....tubeless for a while. I don't know why anyone would use tubes.