mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Inner screw of my Schrader valve keeps coming out

Inner screw of my Schrader valve keeps coming out when I pull off the adapter after pumping full of air. Of course...All of the air comes out leaving me pissed off. I then have to use a pair of pliers to retighten every time but I'm worried I may tighten too much and bust the stem. Also, they're tubless. Can I use Loctite in there? How would I slime them after that?
    Thank you.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Tubeless shraeder...is this a ghetto conversion? If so you may want to cut to the chase and redo that with a strip of gorilla tape and a cafe latex tubeless presta valve. (I found cafe latex to be about 1/2 the price and work just as well as Stan's and Mavic valves).

If you want to try to fix the shraeder valve core, try the tiniest wipe of lightweight oil on the rubber gasket. Sometimes that's all it takes to get a nice, tight seal again. I know it sounds counter intuitive but that little bit of lube will allow you to tighten the valve enough, without overdue force, that it shouldn't twist out unless you unscrew it. But really, I strongly recommend option 1instead of messing around.

- Rob
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

transmitter~receiver

Get the proper tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Not really sure what exactly is wrong...but why not Just buy some new valve cores or valve stems? The cores usually cost a dollar each...valves arent too expensive either. Or get yourself one of those fancy valve core removal tools...that way you can tighten it down easier. We sell the Stan's tools for around 9 bucks shipped...its a good tool to keep in your pack.

You could try locktite...just use the medium strength. It will break lose easily when sealant needs to be added. Even then, I'd imagine the sealant will act like locktite if you add a drop to the valve core thread? Good luck

human dehumidifier
    Sounds to me like you don't have a Schrader valve, you have a Presta valve since you need an adapter. I've had the same thing happen with tubes that have removable cores. If you're using a Stan's valve, there are flats on it to remove/install the core. The next-to-smallest wrench in my Craftsman ignition set fits it good enough if you have a decent tool kit, or buy the special Stan's tool to fit, or just use pliers. Then when you loosen up the core don't back it out all the way, and don't get carried away when you screw the the adapter on. I personally wouldn't use lock-tite, mostly because it's not needed in my experience.

Good luck
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

mtbr member
    A tiny dab of locktite will keep the valve in place. TINY

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yes Presta is what I meant. Thank you for your reply. I will try that.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    ^ that.

Or get a pump that doesn't need an adapter.

If you ever buy a CO2 inflator, make sure you don't buy one that screws on to the stem. Nothing worse than using a cartridge on the trail and then losing all the air because the core comes out with the adapter (especially if it's your last cartridge).

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    ^ that.

Or get a pump that doesn't need an adapter.

If you ever buy a CO2 inflator, make sure you don't buy one that screws on to the stem. Nothing worse than using a cartridge on the trail and then losing all the air because the core comes out with the adapter (especially if it's your last cartridge).
    So true. Poof! $4 into the ether AND I still have a flat.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    So true. Poof! $4 into the ether AND I still have a flat.
    Pssst... If you're in the states you can get 30 of them for $35 shipped on amazon. Search for "16g co2"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Pssst... If you're in the states you can get 30 of them for $35 shipped on amazon. Search for "16g co2"
    Or go to anywhere that sells air powered BB guns and buy the same bulk box for the same price. Most WalMarts have them for cheap, some local hardware stores as well.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Or go to anywhere that sells air powered BB guns and buy the same bulk box for the same price. Most WalMarts have them for cheap, some local hardware stores as well.
    That is good info! Truth be told I never use CO2. I tried it a few times but found the good old spare tube/pump to be sufficient.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Is there a pump without an adapter?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thank you. I will try that.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by len750 View Post
    Is there a pump without an adapter?
    Pretty much EVERY bicycle pump made.

There are a few pump heads that thread onto presta valves, which is silly.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common