Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Industry Nine with Reynolds crabon

5K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  teamdicky 
#1 ·
Hadn't seen any posts on this yet. From over on the Industry Nine facebook page (and on Bike Rumor: Industry Nine Adds Carbon 29er & Stan's 650B Mountain Bike Wheels, XX1 Freehub Bodies - Bike Rumor)

"Our friends at Reynolds Cycling supplied us with their tubeless-compatible, 29" hoop, for this special project. Sporting an inner width of 21mm, depth of 28mm, and weight of 430g, we're building complete wheelsets to 1640g."

I could be considered an I9 shill, but I've also been waiting for a reputable carbon rim/I9 wheel option for a year now.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
What exactly does "tubeless-compatible" mean? It is obvious that the rims need tape, which is fine but what tubeless spec. are the bead hooks? It would be good if they are actually the same as UST even if they not called UST.

#7 ·
Those do look really nice and I'd love to try a set, but that's a lot of change.

I struggle with what the advantage is to a carbon rimmed mountain bike wheel. Sure, maybe they're a little more stiff than a "comparable" aluminum wheel, but I9's seem to be pretty stiff as it is and work well with Stans rims. Carbon also scares me... while I don't know of many who have trashed a carbon wheel, I can't even begin to count how many people have trashed carbon frames. Carbon MTB wheels are far less common around here, so I guess that's a bad comparison. My concern is that if I ding or break my arches or crests in the racing season, I can buy two replacement rims andan entire replacement wheelset for the cost of a pair of replacement reynolds rims.

The cost/benefit is way too skewed for me at this point. Give it a few years and when the price of carbon comes down, maybe I'll bite.

#10 ·
Ignorance is bliss, and definitely cheaper, but you should try a carbon wheel, especially in the front.

I bought a set of carbon wheels nearly two years ago and I am still amazed at how much better they ride than alloy.

I wish it wasn't so, cause they do cost a lot...

#9 ·
This is a great looking wheelset with good specs., however at $2,500 I would have to go Enve. I've had good success with UST and I know Enve carbon has been very reliable plus imo ENVE has more panche than Reynolds for those that want that bling factor.

#13 ·
Interesting article on tubeless ready (TR), UST, BST and what have you:

Tubeless Tire: Mountain Bike Gear | Bicycling Magazine

One thing I found interesting:

"Mavic holds a patent on a specific rim-bed shape and the corresponding tire-bead shape, which it licenses to other companies. To ensure compatibility across brands, however, a product must be certified before it can bear the UST label. According to Maxime Brunand, Mavic's product manager, an independent lab in Belgium is responsible for granting "technical approval" of products (tires and/or rims). Upon passing the lab's tests, Mavic grants a five-year license for that product to bear the UST logo."

More than one way to skin a tubeless cat, but in order to get UST certification be sure to write "Mavic" on the "Pay to the order of..." line.

I can see why other companies would look to develop TR products without going down the UST road.

#15 ·
I was on the phone with them this morning about a new hub. They mentioned they are now using the Reynolds carbon rim which is cool and I'm going to see about a set later down the road. They also mentioned changing up the color palette as well. Two colors are going to be dropped and they are tossing around a new color. From the sounds of it it would be a Turquoise or Candy Apple Green.

#17 ·
I can't speak about the I9 hubs but I do own a pair of Reynolds Carbon XC 29er rims. 2012 version. I've had them for almost a year and I love them. Rims are super stiff and I really noticed it on off camber turns. The front wheel goes where ever I want it to go and it never feels like it's flexing in the process. I have them on my Tallboy right now. I do have to agree that at $2,500, I would start looking at Enve. I got mine for under 1K so it really wasn't an issue for me.

#18 ·
In the spring I was going to purchase a pair of the Chinese carbon rims and send them to I -9 to get them laced. I never did though. I just decided to roll on aluminum Stan's and keep an eye on the reviews. I was also watching all the Reynolds press and was impressed with their lates offerings. Here is a full test on the older versions from 29 inches: The Carbon Wheel Experiment : Reynolds MT 29 Wheels- Final Review
They changed their hub design but the rim is pretty much the same. If I go carbon I want the same performance I get from a Stan's BST rim. Plus I love the quality of an I-9 wheel, very durable and stiff.
With I-9 now offering wheels laced to Reynolds carbon rims, I think I have found my next wheels set.
I haven't read any bad press about the Reynolds carbon rim set up tubeless. The cut through pics look like they would work and be solids with no burping. Scroll down in the article for the cut through pics: Reynolds Launch Three Carbon Mountain Wheels For 2013 - BikeRadar
Also, the whole craze for carbon is not the weight loss, it is the ride and stiffness of the wheel. I still have not ridden a carbon wheel but from what I have read the tracking is unbelievable. Well worth the high price tag.
Nice find Dicky (also nice finish at the P2P race) I saw the release about the xx1 hub body but missed the Reynolds part.

#21 ·
Nice find Dicky (also nice finish at the P2P race) I saw the release about the xx1 hub body but missed the Reynolds part.
What can I say? I spend too much time on the internet. I was 100% ready to go on the crabon rims, but there's something coming that's non-crabon and tasty sounding, so now I don't know what I'm gonna do.

and thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.