mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I'm confused.. 9mm, 15mm, 20mm

OK, I recently purchased a 2012 Felt Nine Race from TrySports. I'm enjoying the bike, but believe I am ready to get a little more out of it. I have the Reba RL Fork on the front (stock).

I am currently looking at upgrading to a new wheelset with tubeless tires. I have chosen the Easton Haven 29er, the issue is I don't know if this is when I should also upgrade to something other than the 9mm or if I am stuck with this until I upgrade my fork. I've heard of conversion kits, but not sure I understand what's going on. I would like to order these UST rims this weekend so i can be riding on them by next weekend. On Kenda tires I'm thinking

I don't want to purchase a 9mm hub and go to upgrade my fork next year and can't because of the hub size i decided on the year before.

Help !

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have watched that video. I guess my question is.. If i want to strengthen my wheels and make them more rigid by going with a 15mm thru axle, do i need to purchase a different fork..??

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes, the forks are specific to one of those axles. I would think the only way to convert a fork would be to replace the lowers, which will cost a fortune.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thank you for the replies.. I just ordered a easton haven for the front rim.. Now I just need to find out the dimensions of the rear.. is it a 9x135?? Of course Felt does not have a contact number to their offices..

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What TB said. The convertability lies in the hub, and you are stuck with the 9mm QR of your current fork. The good news is that should you ever replace that fork with one that has a 15 or 20 thru axle your hub is easily adaptable. Also, there is no such thing as 9mm on the rear, the smallest opening is 10mm, which, without looking, is what I'd guess you have on your current setup, a 10x135. Good luck with the new rims.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfeltnine View Post
    Thank you for the replies.. I just ordered a easton haven for the front rim.. Now I just need to find out the dimensions of the rear.. is it a 9x135?? Of course Felt does not have a contact number to their offices..
    rear quick release is 135x10

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    thank you very much. !

mtbr member
    May 2008
    To add a little stiffness to the stock 9mm fork you can go with a the DT Swiss thru axle or the Hadley. Not going to be as stiff as a 15mm but stiffer than a standard quick release.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    (949) 452-9050

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I'm confused.. 9mm, 15mm, 20mm

Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    rear quick release is 135x10
    What's up with the 12x135 through bolts? Do they fit in normal dropouts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedrider View Post
    Not going to be as stiff as a 15mm but stiffer than a standard quick release.

If you or someone would kindly clear my fog as well. When advertisements such as this Nukeproof 20mm to QR Conversion Kit | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com state (to QR) there must be a known industry standard QR yes? for clarification would it be the 9mm QR??

mtbr member
    May 2008
    On a standard quick release the axle is only about 4 or 5mm and the 9mm is actually the end caps that sits in the drop outs. When going to a 9mm thru axle the end caps are replaced with a full 9mm hole and the axle itself sits in your dropouts. It was discussed here best 10mm thru-bolt for slot dropouts

mtbr member
    The fog has still not lifted yet. My roadie uses 5mm QR's whilst my MTB has 9mm QR's that i'm wanting to purchase a nuke proof wheelset for and the NP generator hubs come 20mm but offer the conversion kit i linked to in my last post and i'm not clear if it accepts 9mm.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It will use a standard quick release not a 9mm thru axle like a DT swiss or hadley.

The confusion might be because they call a standard quick release 9mm when in reality the dropout not the quick release is 9mm.

mtbr member
    i've measured my QR's with digi calipers and they are 9mm axles so its not just the DO thats 9mm.......i need clarity relief quick or imma loose it.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The end caps you are looking at should work fine

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    i've measured my QR's with digi calipers and they are 9mm axles so its not just the DO thats 9mm.......i need clarity relief quick or imma loose it.
    The QR skewer is typically a threaded steel rod 5mm in diameter with a clamp lever and nut on both ends. The skewer goes through the axle in the hub. The endcaps of the hub are 9mm and fit into the fork dropouts which are also 9mm. The 5mm QR clamps the whole shebang together. Got it? You can replace the 5mm QR skewer with a 9mm DT Swiss thru-bolt if your hub allows you swap endcaps and the axle/hub bore is big enough. This eliminates the 9mm endcaps on the hub, and the 9mm thru-bolt provides the clamping force directly to the outside ends of the hub and the fork drop outs.

The rear drop outs are 10mm usually, but the newer standards can use 12mm. Don't ask me why these things are so.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Bite Me.
    Pictures might help - standard qr end cap on left with protrusions for drop outs, 9mm endcap on right w/o protrusions and the thru bolt above, :I'm confused.. 9mm, 15mm, 20mm-thru-bolt.jpg
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells