mtbr member
    Feb 2012

IKON exc/3c VS exc/3c/EVO (florida)

What's the diff? Anyone know? Good tire for;

typical all terrain riding, hard/softpack, rocky, bumby typical So Florida trails?

Riding the 4 main parks, markham, oleda but mostly Amelia and Virginia key. Want fast tire, but need more grip then my current 1.9 SWorks Renegade. Very FAST, but small 'slickish' tire.

Thinking the 2.2 x 29 offered in the exo may be perfect, but don't know diff between EVO!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    What's the diff? Anyone know? Good tire for;

typical all terrain riding, hard/softpack, rocky, bumby typical So Florida trails?

Riding the 4 main parks, markham, oleda but mostly Amelia and Virginia key. Want fast tire, but need more grip then my current 1.9 SWorks Renegade. Very FAST, but small 'slickish' tire.

Thinking the 2.2 x 29 offered in the exo may be perfect, but don't know diff between EVO!
    Maxxis doesn't have a tire with the nomer of EVO. EVO is something Schwalbe tires have that stands for "Evolution" for the steeper angle of the carcass threads.

Maxxis uses the nomer EXO for the tire models they sell that have extra sidewall protection. (Schwalbe uses the nomer SnakeSkin for their tire models with extra sidewall protection.)

The sidewall protection Ikon 2.2 is about 70g heavier than the non EXO version. I've been running 5 Ikon tires for a long time - none of them have the EXO sidewall protection. No problems at all. But that's here in the Midwest (which includes plenty of rocks). To be fair, I've tested quite a few prototypes of the Ikon for Maxxis - all of them run tubeless.

Don't know about the type of rocks and trails conditions in Florida. The other choice is whether or not one wants the 120 tpi version or the 60 tpi version. The two you reference in your thread title are the 120 tpi versions.

Uncle Sheldon explains that quite well....

Some tires use thick thread, some use thin thread for the fabric. With thin thread, there are more threads per inch ("TPI") and this number is often considered an important indication of tire performance.

The higher the TPI number, the thinner and more flexible the tire fabric is. Thin-wall (high TPI) tires tend to be lighter and have lower rolling resistance, but they're more easily damaged by road hazards.

So the Maxxis Ikon versions labeled eXC are the higher thread count 120tpi models.

The 3C is the rubber compound used on the outer portion to create better rolling resistance and treadwear. Again, an upgrade.

So the top of the line Ikon has 3C, eXC and EXO (and will cost the most, of course).

Getting back to your thread title of comparing the top 2 Ikon models:

exc/3c VS exc/3c/EVO (should be EXO)

Do you want the extra sidewall protection or not?

I'd say go with the top of the line for the extra sidewall protection on the Ikon (the eXC/3C/EXO) version if you have torn tires before on your local trails.
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 12-03-2012 at 04:50 AM.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Bruce, next time, try to provide a bit more info, lol. Love MTBR.com, you guys always get me the info. (and yeah, meant EXO)

NOW, last question for YOU do you have experience on this tire? Any other maxxis?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So I see you have some experience on them. Like? Love? recommend? Yes to better side wall, I'm all over the place and freq hit sidewall, but getting better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I live in West central FL and ride most of the popular trails. I ride most of my miles at Loyce Harpe Park (formerly carter road). It ranges from hard pack, rooty, minimal rocks. So far, the tire has been great except for two conditions, the lose silt on hard pack and the sandy conditions that show up when we have no rain for a month. I ride fairly quick (not a racer) and other than those couple of situations, I do not worry about the tires. I also do not run the EXC version but would if I ever had a sidewall issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    sweet. thanks shagster. Now it is between Ardent and Ikon...think I smell a new posting; please feel free to input!

mtbr member
    I love the Ardent on the front. Never tried one on the rear though.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    what are you running on the rear? Ever try the Ikon?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by everything motorcycl View Post
    So I see you have some experience on them. Like? Love? recommend? Yes to better side wall, I'm all over the place and freq hit sidewall, but getting better.
    Yes, of course I bang sidewalls into things. Plenty of rocks in Missouri, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, and the Black Hills that I have run the Ikons.

I've only torn two sidewalls since switching to 29"ers in 2003. One was a first version Bontrager XR 2.25 in the Black Hills during the Dakota Five-0 race of 2006. Hit something sharp on a long descent, and had to boot the tire and put a new tube in to continue. The other was during an XC race on a course built over an old steel works factory/mill site in 2008. I hit some chunk of metal sticking out of the ground and tore a Racing Ralph 2.4 front tire (a non SnakeSkin tire).

Other than that, I've never torn a 29"er tire. So, who knows? Maybe I'm not the best one to ask about tearing tires.

I can't speak about future Maxxis tires (any of those I might be testing), but certainly would mention that what is currently available - an Ardent up front (I prefer the 2.4) with an Ikon in the rear would be a nice set up. Maxxis even has a bombproof Ardent 2.25 LUST (UST tire). It's heavy due to the extra rubber to make it tubeless in the 29"er version, but the sidewalls are durable and you can run pretty insane low psi's due it.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks Bruce, I've only been on a 29er for a couple of months, about my 2nd or 3rd ride in don't know what I hit and all the sudden pssssssssssssssssssssss followed by stans. For a novice racer the 30 extra grams of weight won't matter to me. They both appear to be 120 TPI though(exo v non/exo)?!?