mtbr member
    Feb 2013

If you had 700 in ur pocket what wheelset would u buy?

I am ready to drop some money on a set of rims/wheels. I want my price to be no more than 700. I own a 2012 felt nine race (29).. stock bike...my first upgrade... I wanna go tubeless I know this much.. Help me out. I would love to order these tonight so i can be riding next weekend..

mtbr member
    I would go with the following:

Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs
    Stans Crest or Arch EX depending on your weight and the difficulty of the trails you ride
    Butted spokes, nothing fancy
    Brass nipples

This should come in right below $700 with change left over for new quick releases.

I order all of my wheels from Universal Cycles, they do a great job and provide fast turnaround times plus free tape and valve stems for Stans's rims.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm 180 lbs, no gear, clothes.. just a smile......

I ride mostly xc, but love hitting any jumps i can find in the 1-3ft range...lots of roots in eastern NC... I hope this helps.

MTB B'dos
    I'd go with what I've been riding now for the last 4 years, the most popular wheelset I've seen on here, Hope Pro2 hubs/Stans rims (chose which suit you). I run the Flows and like them, recently got FlowEX for a friend and they're even wider and a Crest for myself and once built properly any one of the Stans rims should do you well - Crest, ArchEX, FlowEX. Best thing about these wheels, you should be able to get them for well below $700 if you look around - check European and UK sites for best prices with free shipping to the US. Be careful if you get a Crest wheel though, I got one through Wiggle as a direct from "Hope" factory set and it had whimpy triple butted spokes and went out of true fast, but I rebuilt it using DT Swiss DB Competition spokes, tensioned up to 99kgf and it's running sweet now - feel solid and very stiff compared to the factory build.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm not sure if care for them. They seem a little heavy, then u add tape, liquid....

mtbr member
    If I had $700 to spend on a XC 29er tubeless wheelset, these would probably be at the top of my list.

Art's Cyclery Pro Build Pro 29 XC Wheelset
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    + 1 for the Hope Pro 2 evo plus Stan's Arch or Flows. I built mine for around 425.00. Best deal on the Hubs are from Chain reaction cycles, you can get front and rear for a total of 252.00 and both items are free shipping to the U.S. I found my hoops on ebay for 40.00 each. I got the Dt swiss double butted spokes from Cambria Bicycle as well as the brass nipples. That I'll give you around 275.00 extra for the rest of your bike.I am completely happy with this wheel set so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would get a set from crank brothers with their upgrade program. I was getting ready to send in a bunch of broken pedals when I saw that the will upgrade wheels for you too, and you didn't have to send your old wheels in. Just send a picture and tell them why you want to upgrade. The wheels are $300 off and the pedal upgrades are 1/2 off msrp.

mtbr member

Re: If you had 700 in ur pocket what wheelset would u buy?

Derp... Missed the 29er part!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    I don't know what wheels "u" should get, but make sure a bit of money is left over to buy some vowels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Sun ringle black flag pros. I had the 26" version and it was a very stiff and strong wheelset. A buddy of mine has the 29er version and had the same thing to say about his.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just ordered mavic crossmax st 29......Got a good deal, I'll do a review on them once I get 15-30 miles on them. Thank you for the help. I even saved enough money to buy a vowel seat_boy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thats what I ride now. Picked them up about a month ago. I've only had a chance to ride maybe 20 miles on them, but loved every mile so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That's good to hear. I was a little nervous about the purchase. I hear stories of crappy hubs and what not.. I think I am too new of a rider to really "test" a bike or it's components to the fullest extent possible. This will be my winter tire
    "Rubena V98 Kratos Tubeless Supra 29 Inch MTB Tire" . I will be mounting them on the Mavic's...

One Gear
    If you bought THESE,then you have the upgraded hubs. They older hubs only had 2 pawls. I had a set of Mavics on my 26" bike and the pawls sheered in half. The new ones still need yearly maintenance. The cassette needs a light coating of oil on the inside to the white ring running smooth.

Ride em fast!

mtbr member

Just got these today:

SunRinglé Black Flag Pro wheelset.
    If you had 700 in ur pocket what wheelset would u buy?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360276063.417097.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I would contact Mike at Lacemine29.com. Tell him your budget, where you ride, weight etc and he will give you a few options and hand build them for you. When I get the cash this is what I will be doing for my next wheelset.

But for now, my stock ArchEX/3.30 wheelset is great. Has been a very good upgrade from my stock stumpjumper wheelset. Light, strong (hit a tree head on last weekend, still true!) and wide. Plenty of love for Stans around here.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I don't know what wheels "u" should get, but make sure a bit of money is left over to buy some vowels.
    I was going to say, "Drop $500 on a pair of wheels from Stans, and the left over $200 on some grammar lessons."

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I was going to say, "Drop $500 on a pair of wheels from Stans, and the left over $200 on some grammar lessons."
    Cool. The grammar police are here to save the day.

mtbr member
    This season I will be stocking and listing my hand built 29" wheels. The wheel builds will feature exclusively Stans and WTB i19, i23 hoops, Dt Swiss Comps. All on Hope Pro 2 Evo's. 500.00 to 600.00 price range. Hand built, stress relieved. Shipped free to USA lower 48. These have proved to be the best selling, rock solid wheel sets at our LBS. This will be my first year with web sales, I will start listing in the classifieds (not a big fan of ridiculous Ebay fees) hoping to go live with a website next year.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Nrs1Rider View Post
    Sun ringle black flag pros. I had the 26" version and it was a very stiff and strong wheelset. A buddy of mine has the 29er version and had the same thing to say about his.
    +1 and you'll have $150 left over for tires.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Stans Arch EX, no question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Don't know the OPs weight, but you can get Crest on Hope for $338 Wiggle right now.

Tulsa
    +1 for lacemine, all i've bought have been flawless, also lots of good things said about red barn. Both have websites.
    Custom wheel builders get tons of feedback from their customers and know what works.
    Good luck, best upgrade imo.
    wherever you go, there you are

MTB B'dos
    Thats a great deal for sure, Crests will lace up strong and stiff, however, the build from them is somewhat suspect. I got one of their Crest/Pro2 front wheels and it felt noodly right off the bat, went out of true within a week on my rigid KM "commuter" doing nothing more than riding to the trails transporting gear. Took it off and put it one side writing it off as useless. Week before decided to give it a go, strip it down and rebuild using my trusted DT Swiss DB Comp spokes - wheel built up easy as pie, true as ever and feels absolutely solid.

So moral is not every wheel build is the same, what they don't tell you is they use thinner butted spokes than normal DBs (I guess as the Crest are more race oriented lighter rims) and I don't think their tensions are up enough. When I final tensioned mine I got about 100kgf avg, which is a bit over the recommended 95kgf, but once a tyre was installed it actually dropped a bit below 95kgf, but still feels solid and has taken the 2 weeks of use on my Prime.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Don't know the OPs weight, but you can get Crest on Hope for $338 Wiggle right now.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics