mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Ideal tire setup ..my choices

Trek Rumblefish 29er , riding rocks roots, hardpack, agressive.
    I have Ardents 2.4f 2.25 rear
    Looking for a change to more grip.
    Choices being , bontrager 29-4 , nobby nic/ hans damph. Maxxis minion dhr 2, or high roller 2. Whats the ideal front and back setup?

mtbr member

If you're riding lots of hardpack, I'd go NN 2.35 up front, RaRa or NN 2.25 out back. If its more rocks and roots, I'd go HD 2.35 up front, NN 2.25 out back. I'm running the latter now, but have run the former in the past.

The only downside of that combo is that it's not very cost effective. Your front tire will last just fine, but your rear will be done within a few hundred miles. You can help this by not torquing hard up pavement/asphalt climbs.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

Carbon & Ti rule
    The Hans Dumpf's Have more grip than the Ardent for sure.

Make sure you are not running to much pressure in the 2.4, I ran mine about 18 lb & anything over 20 lb it would just bounce off everything.

The new High Roller & DHR 2 are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by VICSLADE View Post
    Trek Rumblefish 29er , riding rocks roots, hardpack, agressive.
    I have Ardents 2.4f 2.25 rear
    Looking for a change to more grip.
    Choices being , bontrager 29-4 , nobby nic/ hans damph. Maxxis minion dhr 2, or high roller 2. Whats the ideal front and back setup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Im running around 22-24 in the 2.4 front. Will the Ardent work well in the rear if i roll with the High roller II in the front?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Im running around 22-24 in the 2.4 front. Will the Ardent work well in the rear if i roll with the High roller II in the front?
    I was never a fan of the 2.25 Ardent, The 2.4 is a much better tyre IMO.

The 2.4 Ardent felt like rubbish at 24lb on the front IMO & very good at 18lb

What rims are you running ?
    What weight are you ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Trek Duster rims . 195lbs

mtbr member
    High Roller II and Ardent 2.25 Exo rear (or Ikon 2.35 Exo) is my go-to combo on my Banshee Prime. For lift assisted days when I don't care about rolling resistance, DHF 2.5 front, DHR 2.3 rear.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I liked my 2.25 ardent in the rear, but used a hans dampf in front. Also ran the ardents at around 20 psi (possibly less) @ 165 lbs.

I also tried an ikon in the rear which was much faster. It didnt hook up as well, but I think with practice I could get over it. I ended up putting a specialized ground control on the back as it was much cheaper than the ardent and it hooks up about the same as the ardent.

On my 29er hardtail Im running a nobby nic in front and an ikon in back. I generally am hitting much less technical trails with it, although still rocky with ledges.

On my 26er hardtail Im running 2.5 high roller front and 2.4 high roller II in back because Im trying to increase the diameter of the wheel and give more cushion.

Im good with looser in back (ikons, cross marks etc), but the front I like to be rock solid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm not a fan of HDs or NN. That's especially true in rocky stuff, they get torn up far too quickly. The minion Dhr II are pretty good. Far more predictable that the ardents. Specialized Butcher front and DHR II rear has been great all around.