mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Hub and tire recommendations

I know there are so many options out there and I haven't really done my homework which is why I'm asking here for recommendations. Pretty sure the bearings are shot on my front hub and will need rebuilt. I haven't called the LBS to see what this would cost. I think the replacement part would be the cheaper option from the part lookup. I guess what I'm wondering is if I should just buy new wheels, go with a new replacement hub, or buy two pretty new hubs to go on my crappy wheels.

I suppose I could just get by and buy the replacement hub. I love my bike but I don't know if I can justify the cost of all new wheels or some pricey new hubs.

Current setup is a stock 09 Gary Fisher Cobia

Hubs: Shimano M475
    Rims: Bontrager Ranger Disc 29er, 32-hole

I've also worn my tires down from about 800 miles of road riding the last couple months. Blasphemy I know, but I did 109 miles yesterday completing my second century lol. The guys I ride with call me crazy but it's pretty badass keeping up and getting the better of some of them on the climbs and downhills.

I plan to hang up my road riding until I get a road bike and want some opinions on the best trail tires that wont compromise speed. I don't plan to skimp on the cost of tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RotorBalls View Post
    I plan to hang up my road riding until I get a road bike and want some opinions on the best trail tires that wont compromise speed.
    Sorry but such tires do not exist.

mtbr member
    At risk of getting crucified... Try the performance Tasli's

Forté Tsali 29x2.2 MTB Tire -- Folding - Mountain Bike Tires

I ran them for a race series last year that was hardpack, and they were great...and cheap! They worked surprisingly well on my local trails as well. I have a training route, that takes me on a bike path for 33 miles, then dirt for however long.. I like these in this situation because I'm not worried about wearing them out. They also roll great!

mtbr member
    PS, you might want to just get a front wheel...

e.g. BlueSkyCycling.com - Easton EA70 XC 29er Front Disc Wheel

Might be cheaper than a hub and wheel build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post
    PS, you might want to just get a front wheel...

e.g. BlueSkyCycling.com - Easton EA70 XC 29er Front Disc Wheel

Might be cheaper than a hub and wheel build.
    Very nice, thanks for the link and recommendation. It might be a tad bit more for the new wheel but I'd almost rather buy a new set for slightly more than bother with a snazzy new hub on my old crappy wheel. I'm kinda anal so I'll prob just replace both wheels if I go this route

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DerBergschreck View Post
    Sorry but such tires do not exist.
    My LBS insists there are some speedier choices at a cost of around $90. I don't recall what they were called but they almost had me sold. I wanted to get some opinions here and look up prices online before purchasing there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RotorBalls View Post
    My LBS insists there are some speedier choices at a cost of around $90. I don't recall what they were called but they almost had me sold. I wanted to get some opinions here and look up prices online before purchasing there.
    Just remember, if you ride/commute on pavement, you will wear out any tire. There are faster tires out there, but often, that means they're not going to last as long. And no tire will keep it's "bite" going both on road and off.

durable, cheap, light. Pick two..

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaDan View Post
    Just remember, if you ride/commute on pavement, you will wear out any tire. There are faster tires out there, but often, that means they're not going to last as long. And no tire will keep it's "bite" going both on road and off.

durable, cheap, light. Pick two..
    I guess people missed the part where I said I wasn't going to be road riding on this bike anymore. I'm looking for a fast trail tire not a road tire

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I don't know of a tire I can think of off hand that is MSRP of 90 bucks... that's really steep!

tire's are going to depend on your terrain you ride... and how you ride it.

Fast rolling, low-ish weight.. my first thought is something like a Conti Race king... really good traction with easy clearing and low roll resistance. can get something like Kenda Small block 8's but I found the traction on those to be poor at best and the slightest ground moisture (like a dewy morning or evening ride) will turn them into slicks...

I avoid the really pricy tires personally as I haven't found they are worth the extra $$$ and most wear out too fast. If I were racing that would be a diff story but for weekend warrior riding low cost and long lasting is important.

I'm actually getting ready to try a Vee Rubber Mission tire next week. It's in the mail coming to me right now..

If you're trails are more loose gravel then you'll want to look less at a low roll resist tire and more at traction and get a tire with a bit more tooth to it.

As to the hub... I kinda hate Shimano hubs do to the old cup and cone style bearings. really hard to get properly adjusted and if not constantly cared for can get issues like you are having.. on the flip side... when they are adjusted correctly they are about the smoothest rolling hub there is.. even the cheaper ones like you have.

the other good thing is as long as the cups/cones faces aren't bad the bearings are something like 10 bucks for a set if you shop around. get a set of cone wrenches and some grease and do it yourself or find a trusted shop. might be worth a cheap re-build/re bearing and shop for better wheels...
    as some have posted above, if you look around you can get some pretty mean deals on wheels...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/