Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How many chain links for a 29r?

13K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  mjs1231 
#1 ·
I see most sites list a link count with chains. Standard for Sram seems to be 114 and KMC is 116. With the longer stays on 29rs is anyone finding chains to be to short? The last chain I ordered for my 29r I had to use the whole chain I think it was 114.

#3 ·
I ran into this problem replacing the chain on my Kona HeiHei. It required 116 links and the KMC X10SL chain I ordered only came with 112. I'm not sure if I got shorted but I'll use it on my 10sp hardtail if it will fit or on my road bike and when I ordered another chain for the Kona I made sure it had 116 links.
Mole

#7 ·
Haha, very true! I'm sure most people who bought chains too short didn't even realize it till they went to install it. Honest mistake, but still...another good reason why it's important to ask question or do a little research before jumping on a sale price.

Rule of thumb...always better to have too much, then not enough. Same goes with cable housing, shift cables, seatposts, forks, and handlebars.

#10 ·
I ride a RacerX29er, which is known for old skool 29er geometry with long chainstays. I buy XTR 9 speed chains (116 links, IIRC) I typically have to cut off a few links with a 42t big ring... usually 3 complete pair links.

IIRC, the Shimano rule is you wrap the chain around the big ring and big cog, not through the derailleur, and add one link. That gets you the proper chain length.

#14 ·
Best chain is the wiperman conex

To find optimum chain length.. you need a chain break tool.

Remove chain, run chain over both of the large chain rings, front back. Now mark where they meet.
Add two links plus the master link. Once completed install chain back into drive train and recheck rear derailuer shifting to spec.

Done. Perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.