mtbr member

How many chain links for a 29r?

I see most sites list a link count with chains. Standard for Sram seems to be 114 and KMC is 116. With the longer stays on 29rs is anyone finding chains to be to short? The last chain I ordered for my 29r I had to use the whole chain I think it was 114.

Epic rider

Re: How many chain links for a 29r?

Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I see most sites list a link count with chains. Standard for Sram seems to be 114 and KMC is 116. With the longer stays on 29rs is anyone finding chains to be to short? The last chain I ordered for my 29r I had to use the whole chain I think it was 114.
    My large Anthem X29 takes 116 links with a triple up front. (42-32-22 + 11-36)
    New 10 speed KMC chains are delivered with 112 links. Shimano XTR with 116.
    12 Anthem X29
    13 XTC 29

07 Epic Marathon carbon
    04 Stumpjumper FSR Anniversary
    03 Stumpjumper FSR Pro
    00 Rockhopper Pro

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ran into this problem replacing the chain on my Kona HeiHei. It required 116 links and the KMC X10SL chain I ordered only came with 112. I'm not sure if I got shorted but I'll use it on my 10sp hardtail if it will fit or on my road bike and when I ordered another chain for the Kona I made sure it had 116 links.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rapsac View Post
    My large Anthem X29 takes 116 links with a triple up front. (42-32-22 + 11-36)
    New 10 speed KMC chains are delivered with 112 links. Shimano XTR with 116.
    I guess it depedns on the KMC chain. Jenson USA is listing some of them as having 116. I am going to have to count the ones on my Spearfish and see how many it has.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I believe kmc is still living in the past, however 29ers don't really need a 44 tooth chainring to go super fast and frame geometry and chainstays are getting shorter.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by DYard View Post
    I believe kmc is still living in the past,
    I don't think so, They offer a 112 & a 116 link chain.

People just need to order the right parts for there bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Haha, very true! I'm sure most people who bought chains too short didn't even realize it till they went to install it. Honest mistake, but still...another good reason why it's important to ask question or do a little research before jumping on a sale price.

Rule of thumb...always better to have too much, then not enough. Same goes with cable housing, shift cables, seatposts, forks, and handlebars.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Rule of thumb...always better to have too much, then not enough. Same goes with cable housing, shift cables, seatposts, forks, and handlebars.
    I use the same rule fore how many bikes I should own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I use the same rule fore how many bikes I should own.
    Same here. I found a 116 KMC at Excel for $44.

ballbuster
    I ride a RacerX29er, which is known for old skool 29er geometry with long chainstays. I buy XTR 9 speed chains (116 links, IIRC) I typically have to cut off a few links with a 42t big ring... usually 3 complete pair links.

IIRC, the Shimano rule is you wrap the chain around the big ring and big cog, not through the derailleur, and add one link. That gets you the proper chain length.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I don't think so, They offer a 112 & a 116 link chain.

People just need to order the right parts for there bike.
    Some times there is a reason why stuff is on sale but I wouldn't bash KMC they make most if not all of Shimano's chain and the quick link is a lot nicer than the pin in my opinion.

ballbuster
    You can use a SRAM 9 speed Powerlink with a 9 speed Shimano chain. I've been running exactly that for the last 10 years. Works great. Unfortunately, 8 speed does not work, not that it's much of an issue anymore. I don't know about 10 speed. Yeah, I hate the pins, too.

I;ve used KMC chains with my singlespeed. They seem solid and cheap enough, but they don't last very long. I seem to wear one out every six to nine months. For $11, I can't complain too much. They are way better than SRAM PC1s.

I'm seriously considering one of the mid grade KMC gearie chains, now that the cheap Shimano XTR 9 speed chain supply has dried up. I used to get them all the time for $22, but now they are pushing $45. Yikes.... for a wear-out item.

NRSRider? Dang. How old is that screenname?

Quote Originally Posted by Nrs1Rider View Post
    Some times there is a reason why stuff is on sale but I wouldn't bash KMC they make most if not all of Shimano's chain and the quick link is a lot nicer than the pin in my opinion.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 02-22-2013 at 09:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    NRSRider? Dang. How old is that screenname?
    It says I joined in early 2005 I just don't have a ton of posts on here. I got the NRS is 2004. Sold it in 2005.
    On the topic of Kmc chains, will a sram power link work? 8 speed specifically. Not trying to thread jack or anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Best chain is the wiperman conex

To find optimum chain length.. you need a chain break tool.

Remove chain, run chain over both of the large chain rings, front back. Now mark where they meet.
    Add two links plus the master link. Once completed install chain back into drive train and recheck rear derailuer shifting to spec.

Done. Perfect.