mtbr member
    Oct 2012

How to know which components will fit my bike?

In searching for upgraded components for my bike (Felt Nine 60) I have found it confusing to know what fits and what doesn't fit. Looking for an XT front D and found one on eBay but after talking to another biker he said it wouldn't work. What's the best way to figure this out?

transmitter~receiver
    This is a challenging issue for many people and many components.

For the current year there are 8 versions of XT front derailleurs.

For a front derailleur, you need to know:

1. mount type (direct mount, clamp, etc.)
    2. swing (high or low)
    3. 2x vs. 3x
    4. pull (used to be a consideration... pretty sure all new XT derailleurs offer both options)

the easiest thing is to find out those specs and match them to an XT-level derailleur. somewhere on your derailleur will be a model number like (FD-M786). look that up and match the above specs.
    sometimes you can change specs and still work, but that will get MUCH more challenging.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Its cause the one you tried to buy off e bay was a direct mount bottem pull

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    An answer to this question would be the ultimate sticky.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    This is a challenging issue for many people and many components.

For the current year there are 8 versions of XT front derailleurs.
    According to BTI, SRAM has 37 different versions just for the X0 line.

Don't take this as gospel, but searching online for a Felt Nine 60 shows me that the front derailleur is a FD-M390 top swing, and that you have a 9-speed triple-ring crankset.

Searching for that component number shows me that you need a low clamp (top swing) 9-speed front derailleur, and that yours is dual pull, meaning that the cable could come from above or below. Which direction your cable runs is something you could easily figure out by looking at your bike, but buying another dual pull derailleur is the easiest choice. Since you mentioned XT, just clicking down through the BTI (a bike part distributor) catalog for Shimano XT front derailleurs, it looks like the XT-M770 9sp Top Swing low clamp (IFDM770X6) would probably work for you.

It's $46 at Universal Cycles, and you could get an SLX for a bit less. I'm just an armchair mechanic working the Googles, but that's how I'd go about figuring out what you need.

Some front derailleurs bolt directly to your frame, some go around the bottom bracket, but the old-school style is to clamp around the seat tube. Those are two styles- high clamp (bottom swing) and low clamp (top swing). As I mentioned, I think you have a low clamp.

Low clamps look like this:

High clamps look like this:
    Last edited by evasive; 11-01-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added pictures
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.