mtbr member

how do you check Stan's sealant?

I posted this is the wheels section also, but this gets more responses.
    Every 3 months I add some Stan's sealant through the valve stem. I can't hear it sloshing around, so I never know when to replenish. Is there an easy way short of breaking a bead and looking inside? Maybe remove the valve core and see if I can suck some out with a flavor straw?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Vincit qui patitur
    I refresh every 3 months and break bead every 6 to clean the boogers out.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    If it holds air I do nothing. I don't worry much about punctures so I don't mind if it is dried out in there. Ends up being once or twice a year.
    G

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Are the boogers a legit concern?

I take them off the sides first and then spend time getting >90% off of the inner tire carcass but wonder if I'm just wasting time and fingers strength at that point.

meh... whatever
    no need to break the bead to check.

simply remove the valve core at 10 or 2 o'clock (prevents sealant from spraying out), place the stem at 6 o'clock, then push down on the tyre. if you see nothing add 2-4 oz. of sealant.

don't worry about the boogers inside the tyre. for one thing, removing them may open up a hole as boogers frequently form when it coagulates to seal a puncture. for another, who cares... it's not like they add weight or throw the wheel off balance.
    "I never TRY anything... I just do it." ~ Varla

mtbr member
    Just break the bead, takes a few seconds, then you can really see what the condition of the sealant is.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 12-02-2012 at 05:57 AM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Art.C View Post
    Are the boogers a legit concern?

I take them off the sides first and then spend time getting >90% off of the inner tire carcass but wonder if I'm just wasting time and fingers strength at that point.
    Meh, I take the boogers out. Leave stans skin though. After all, that's what makes it air tight. Interms of frequency. It's like once a month in the warmer months in the desert. Maybe 4 in the colder...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    no need to break the bead to check.

simply remove the valve core at 10 or 2 o'clock (prevents sealant from spraying out), place the stem at 6 o'clock, then push down on the tyre. if you see nothing add 2-4 oz. of sealant.

don't worry about the boogers inside the tyre. for one thing, removing them may open up a hole as boogers frequently form when it coagulates to seal a puncture. for another, who cares... it's not like they add weight or throw the wheel off balance.
    Really! Those little bits of fuzz that form at the site of probable pin holes are not what are generally referred to as "boogers". These are the ones that form from drying sealant rolling around inside the tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how do you check Stan's sealant?-stans.jpg  

The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Really! Those little bits of fuzz that form at the site of probable pin holes are not what are generally referred to as "boogers". These are the ones that form from drying sealant rolling around inside the tires.
    Yup. To find the big boogers as pictured, I let all the air out of the tire and squeeze around to see if there is a big critter in there because you can feel them through the deflated tire carcass. If not, and it's about time for more sealant, I'll just add some through the valve stem hole. If I do feel a booger, I'll pop the bead on a section of the tire, remove the booger and add more sealant, then air the tire back up.

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hang wheel with valve stem at 6 o'clock.

Remove valve core.

Use little red "straw" that comes with cans of spray lube as a dip stick.

Done.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The sea urchins from stan's suck. I've heard good things about orange seal, supposedly it wont dry out like stans does but I haven't tried it yet. I know my wife got me a 2 bottles of it for Chrismas but I wont actually try it until spring. orangeseal website :: Tubeless Tire Sealant

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan The VW Tech View Post
    The sea urchins from stan's suck. I've heard good things about orange seal, supposedly it wont dry out like stans does but I haven't tried it yet. I know my wife got me a 2 bottles of it for Chrismas but I wont actually try it until spring. orangeseal website :: Tubeless Tire Sealant
    I just used in Orange Seal on new tubeless set up yesterday.

Ill watch it over the next few months and report back.

The shop that sold it to me is pretty reputable, they said they switched every tubeless set up they do or recommend to Orange for the last few months and have had zero complaints.

So I went with their recommendation. We'll see.

meh... whatever

well, allow me to retort!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    really?!?!?!? you thought i was saying removal of loose boogers would reopen punctures previously plugged by sealant?

really?!?!?!? you thought i really meant "pinhole" when i clearly said "puncture" and "fuzz" when i said "boogers"?

thanks for the primer bro, but with all due respect i've been running tubeless well over 10 years, have worked in a shop, and have setup/broken down 1000's of tubeless wheels over the years so i'm vaguely familiar with the system, its byproducts, and vernacular.

since i'm assuming your response was due to an honest misunderstanding of my post rather than an attempt at confrontation please take this as friendly clarification rather than confrontation.

in my first point clearly the boogers i was referring to as possibly opening a previously seal puncture were NOT the loose ones rolling around inside the tyre but rather are the ones that adhere to the inner tyre casing. please notice i didn't say boogers "always" form at punctures, i said "frequently". they form not only as the result of drying sealant but also in response to breaking off after sealing a puncture, rapid air escape during beading/seating, and co2 (but not propane) use.

so yes, removal of a booger that's clinging to the casing MAY open up a previously sealed hole.... just as stated. seen it happen many times.

my second point (i.e. "who cares?") was since they don't roll around inside the tyre at anything other than low speed due to centrifugal force and irrespective of size or number don't add appreciable weight or throw off the balance of the wheel why remove them? (especially if the tyre is hard to seat or bead won't easily reseal)

as for the pic you posted i recall it from a thread you started last year wherein you were puzzled at the enormous, out of the ordinary size of the boogers pictured, so you're certainly not presenting them as normal size now... right? but hey, i'll certainly concede to all that if if it's bothersome to know they're in there by all means bust the bead and remove them just as i'm sure you'll concede that even abnormally large or numerically prolific boogers pose absolutely zero real or potential problem if left in.

never personally seen one this big (from your booger thread last year) but i highly doubt even it would be noticeable while riding...

on the other hand, filling someone's tyres full of water will!

Rub it............
    I usually pull the wheel off the bike and shake the tire. If I hear some sloshing noises, I don't add. If no noise, I add 2 oz with the injector. Once a year I'll break down the tire, check and clean the inside of the tire if needed.

Keep on Rockin...
    Booger wars!!! Only on MTBR.

Anyway, the booger is not all bad. In reality the tiny boogers help actually seal holes in the tire.

A few weeks ago I had a puncture that just would not seal. It wasn't a puncture that I thought Stan's shouldn't be able to seal. After all sorts of tricks and tire positioning failed I popped a bead and found a lot of Stan's milk but seems that most of the granules coalesced into a few big boogers. Probably if one of the boogers found the hole, and managed to stuff itself in, it would have likely plugged the hole. But, maybe the booger was too big to wedge in the slit. (keep it clean guys)

I took out the boogers, sliced them up on my workbench with my pocket knife. I made little shards out of them, and dumped them back in with no addtional Stans added. 5 minute job maybe. Aired up and had an instant seal. Then aired down, popped a bead and had a look-see. To my great satisfaction one of the tiny bogger shards sealed the hole. No amount of poking or prodding at the plug, once air back up, disrupted the seal.

Sure, I could have emptied out the old Stans milk and put in fresh, but that would likely be more of a hassle, and certainly more expensive. (Stan's aint cheap and as a side note will likely start mixing my own this spring.) If the tire was dry of course some more Stans would have been the best route, but I had plenty of milk, just not enough tiny plugs.

Moral of the story is boggers ain't all bad. They just need to be cut down to size.

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Booger wars!!! Only on MTBR.
    don't forget poop, pissing blood, and puking.

yup... mtbr truly has it all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    and have setup/broken down 1000's of tubeless wheels over the years
    Wow, you've been busy!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    That big green one is from some sort of home brew...my homemade stuff leaves bigger boogers than Stan's.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    That big green one is from some sort of home brew...
    yup. and from a homebrew thread at that...

linky

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I wear my tires out before my sealant coagulates like those in the pics in this post. Put front tire on rear and new tire on front. Repeat every 4 months or so. Every time the sealant makes it a somewhat messy job since it is still liquid, some small chunks but nothing like monogods'.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by dkestar View Post
    I wear my tires out before my sealant coagulates like those in the pics in this post. Put front tire on rear and new tire on front. Repeat every 4 months or so. Every time the sealant makes it a somewhat messy job since it is still liquid, some small chunks but nothing like monogods'.
    How? My tires last 4 months living in the desert as well. Sadly, sealant last far less time. Where do you live?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    How? My tires last 4 months living in the desert as well. Sadly, sealant last far less time. Where do you live?
    BC - probably why since it not as hot and dry here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    what about this stuff??truckerco-usa | eBay