unrooted

How can the UK bike shops be so cheap?

??? Makes no sense, but I do love it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

How can they ship stuff to my door for free and faster than their US counterparts?

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    The usual deal is that someone in the UK will buy, say, 50 frames at $30 or so each from a Taiwanese/Chinese manufacturer (so now they're a bike company). Then they will open an OEM account with Shimano and buy, say, 1500 XTR groups at 1/4 of retail price, which they will sell online for cheaper than US wholesale (ie, you're paying less than the bike shop).

Shimano is I *think* trying to stop this but so far they are not having much luck. It's frustrating for a lot of US bike shops and I think the smart thing for Shimano to do would just be to sell their stuff to everyone at the same price. But who am I to tell them what to do...

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    because the american dream is to be wealthy
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Shimano is now going from 16 US Distributors, to 6. Be ready for less discounts, people...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

change is good
    Sep 2004

I was unable to find discounted Shimano pads overseas. American online retailers are coming close to overseas pricing on Shimano cranks and brakes.

unrooted
    $190 for a pair of XT trail pedals and Easton Haven Carbon handlebar, 2 days to california, WTF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    Shimano is now going from 16 US Distributors, to 6. Be ready for less discounts, people...
    In the UK there's a grand total of one, luckily it's a good one.

I'm not sure UK shops are cheap either, some brands cost almost double the US price over here (hello Specialized).

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Which shops are you talking about? Chain Reaction use the same business model as the big supermarkets, pile them high and sell them cheap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    The usual deal is that someone in the UK will buy, say, 50 frames at $30 or so each from a Taiwanese/Chinese manufacturer (so now they're a bike company). Then they will open an OEM account with Shimano and buy, say, 1500 XTR groups at 1/4 of retail price, which they will sell online for cheaper than US wholesale (ie, you're paying less than the bike shop).

Shimano is I *think* trying to stop this but so far they are not having much luck. It's frustrating for a lot of US bike shops and I think the smart thing for Shimano to do would just be to sell their stuff to everyone at the same price. But who am I to tell them what to do...

-Walt
    So what's stopping Jenson, PricePoint, Cambria, et al from doing the same thing? I too have noticed that European online places, like bike-discount.de, are substantially cheaper than the aforementioned US online places. Like the OP, I was asking myself the same question, how can that be? For sure Jenson, PricePoint, Cambria and others are buying complete parts or excess inventory and re-selling them cheap, that's how they're Colorado Cyclist, Performance, Nashbar, etc. Only thing I could figure out is that when you buy from abroad and ship to the US you don't have to pay VAT, and maybe the US companies have to pay import duties?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiloman View Post
    So what's stopping Jenson, PricePoint, Cambria, et al from doing the same thing?

The US doesn't have the anti-price fixing laws that the EU does. So in the US Shimano can fix their prices through a distributor; you the consumer get the shaft so that the dealer can make a little more, even if they are ok with not...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kiloman View Post
    Only thing I could figure out is that when you buy from abroad and ship to the US you don't have to pay VAT, and maybe the US companies have to pay import duties?
    I saw in a previous thread: Chain Reactions Cycles and custom duty fees ?, that some people in the US who ordered from Chain Reaction Cycles were hit with import duties, usually when they requested expedited shipping from an international courier. If you go with the free shipping option through the Royal Mail / USPS, it seems that you're less likely to attract attention as an individual. Distributors and bigger shops in the US are probably unable to avoid that kind of attention.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    The US doesn't have the anti-price fixing laws that the EU does. So in the US Shimano can fix their prices through a distributor; you the consumer get the shaft so that the dealer can make a little more, even if they are ok with not...
    Ahh, I thought it was only Oakley who fixed their prices, as well as the State of Michigan with alcohol. Interesting point. Makes it worthwhile to order from overseas to get XT cranks and Schwalbe tires for cheaper, more than makes up for the shipping costs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you think CRC is cheap, check the bigger German online shops like Bike-Discount or bike-components. Just a random pick: XTR trail brakes, set without discs. You can find them for 350 in Germany, CRC has them for 400 plus. In US dollars, that's about a $65 difference. You can have top of the line Schwalbe tires for 35 a piece, which is about $46. My wild guess is that you do not even need a big order to make up for shipping costs and possibly even import duty fees.

CRC has some good deals, but from where I am (right in between, in the Netherlands), I allways look to German shops first.

unrooted
    I'm talking about wiggle and merlincycles.

the WALKING DEAD
    Jun 2006
    I've ordered from CRC and Wiggle and both times received an automated phone call from the credit card company concerning a fraudulent purchase. I called the credit card company and explained that it was me that was ordering from over seas. Then I reset the purchase and every went through. It kind of freaked me out though.

I got a set of Easton Haven 29 wheels and a Revelation 29 for crazy cheap from CRC. I got the I-spec shifters that nobody seems to carry from Wiggle for a really good price too.

I just used the standard free shipping and didn't have any duties or taxes.
    Your momma's so nasty, she keeps ice between her legs just to keep the crabs fresh.