mtbr member
    Feb 2011

How bad could it be?

Got a 2015 Trek Remedy 8 29, still in the box.
    The bike has a stock Fox Evolution 34 Float 29er, CTD, 140mm travel with the old cartridge.
    I'v heard this fork is worse compared to the new 34 Float that have the FIT4.
    Talked to Fox rep today, who me told that installing the FIT4 will cost a little more than $300 (!) Does it worth it? How bad could the stock fork be?

Thx, Mo

WillWorkForTrail
    If it's THAT bad, you could get a whole new fork in some places for that money.

transmitter~receiver
    not that bad worth it
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Fox ran an upgrade program last year that just did the air spring side. I took advantage of it and it cured the brake dive I was having on the 34. Might be half the cost of the fit 4 cart.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/fox-wa...pring-kit.html

For $300 I would send it to Push or whatever to have it tuned specifically for you.

Merendon Junkie
    Take it for a ride and see for yourself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Bad, have the 2013 version, sucky low speed compression. My new fit damper was $175.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Of course I considered trying the fork, but after I heard there were problems I thought that it might be better just to upgrade to the FIT4 and get it done with.

Anyway, thanks for the info guys. I'll consider the whole thing (after all $300 is a lot of money...)

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'd say the FIT damper upgrade is a MUST on this fork. I did it in May and it changed the ride fundamentally. That said, the fork is fine when new, but the damper will crap out in no time. Then buy the upgrade.

Kick Start My Heart
    I am no fork connoisseur, but I tried staying cheerful, and 'not that bad' on an Evolution damper, and it's bearable, but once I switched to a FIT4, serious whole new ball game.
    Worth all the money? Probably one of the best, it's the front of the bike for Pete's sake!
    My .02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hi guys!
    So, I'v decided to have that $300 Fox FIT4 upgrade, but when I talked with Fox rep he recommended to upgrade to Fox negative air chamber too, along with the FIT4.
    According to the Rep, the negative air chamber improves the small bumps traction ect.
    Now, this Fox negative air chamber costs another $180, so that's almost $500 in total.

Did any of you run this Fox negative air chamber? Is it that good and noticable over small bumps to be worth an aditional $180, or I can get only the FIT4 and still have a lot better fork?

WillWorkForTrail
    Adjustable negative air chambers help, but what are you looking for? Seriously, if this fork is THAT bad the way it currently is, that the $300 FIT upgrade is worth while and such a huge change, you have to ask yourself how much "more" you really need. For $500 you could buy a decent new fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mo6500 View Post
    Hi guys!
    So, I'v decided to have that $300 Fox FIT4 upgrade, but when I talked with Fox rep he recommended to upgrade to Fox negative air chamber too, along with the FIT4.
    According to the Rep, the negative air chamber improves the small bumps traction ect.
    Now, this Fox negative air chamber costs another $180, so that's almost $500 in total.

Did any of you run this Fox negative air chamber? Is it that good and noticable over small bumps to be worth an aditional $180, or I can get only the FIT4 and still have a lot better fork?
    Please shop around before you spend another $500 on a brand new fork. I don't know anything about this fork or Fit 4, but you should consider other forks new and used, or contact aftermarket suspension tuners and see what $500 gets you.

Fox is selling aftermarket improvements like anyone else, but it is hard to separate from the possibility that they are selling you a POS that they made and then gouging you to fix it. I'd rather get after-market improvements from a 3rd party or a different fork if this one sucks that badly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    300$??? For that kind of money I would just add 100$ to my fork budget to install an Avalanche cartridge and call it a day!
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That's Fox price....
    Well, almost $500 is a lot so I will only have the FIT4 upgrade and see how the bike handles. The bigger improvement is the FIT4 and that is what I'm going to do. It's a pitty that Fox is charging $300 for the FIT4 after they aready offerred it for $99 two or three years ago, after fork owners found out that their CTD Evolution sucks.

Thank you all very much for your help

mtbr member
    Shoulda went Avalanche. Custom tuned suspension setup perfectly for you.......for less money.
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.