Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Holiday Upgrades!

So did anyone get some lovely new bike related things for the holidays? that new hydration pack you have been looking at maybe? or a new set of shoes that you really wanted? or a whole bike for that matter?!

Lets see some pictures!

Holiday Upgrades!-wheel.jpg

I Got a new set of P-XC2's from the 'rents and 2014 m-615's from my wonderful girlfriend!

Happy holidays everyone!!

ready to ride
    Not exactly a holiday upgrade since I bought these before Xmas, but more or less it is.
    Sorry no pics.

Manitou Tower Pro 120 mm tapered 15 mm qr. Got it for 50% off. It's been the fork I wanted for a while and couldn't pass on the deal.

Easton XC 29er 15 mm qr front wheel. Needed something to go with the fork. For the price I can't complain.

An On One Chunky Monkey 29x2.4

Got one ride in on the new fork and new wheel on the 21st. Did a pretty gnarly downhill more AM/trail after a brutal climb dropped more about 1500 feet in less than a half mile. The trail is actually in pretty bad condition which isn't a surprise given there are no switch backs and just points down. Lots of ruts, drops, and enough leaves where you just had to roll downhill with a bit of faith. Even an semi epic OTB, then it started to rain.

The new fork was awesome. Very plush and adjustable. My only complaint is that it makes my rear shock feel stiff and bouncey.

The new front wheel is decent. Honestly surprised it wasn't destroyed being that it only has 24 spokes. I did knock it out of true ever so slightly but was easy to bring back into true with a few minor adjustments.

Of course the Chunky Monkey showed up at my door after the ride. What a beast of a tire. A true 2.4 with some aggressive tread. I've been sick as a dog so it's only been around the yard, can't wait to get it on the trail. Seems almost like a cross between the Minion and the High roller. Looks to be a perfect tire for the leaves and winter slop.

My parents gave me the green gift that is always in the right size and color. Need to make sure some other obligations are taken care of first but clots to pulling the trigger on a custom wheel set. Blue Hope hubs laced to some WTB i23s.

Being sick for the past week I have obviously obsessed about this way to much lol.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    New pedals for me and a seat bag. First set of clipless so it's been interesting adjusting to the change. Hopefully I'll be able to take them on a proper ride tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    The new front wheel is decent. Honestly surprised it wasn't destroyed being that it only has 24 spokes.

not really a cheap wheel to get just to beat up with the intent of buying a new wheelset shortly there after. did you get it just due to the sale? was it an ea70? i love obsessing about upgrades lol, what wheelset you looking in to?

Quote Originally Posted by Douwe View Post
    New pedals for me and a seat bag. First set of clipless so it's been interesting adjusting to the change. Hopefully I'll be able to take them on a proper ride tomorrow!
    Did you get the shoes to go with it? or did you have to go pick a pair up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I actually already had some shoes. I bought a pair of shimano shoes that I could use out on the trails and on flats but with the intention that I would go to clipless eventually. I got them on sale online a couple months ago.

mtbr member
    Not much/fun taking pictures of clothes...got a new Smartwool base layer, a jacket, a head cap, and a GoPro. I bought myself (does that count?) a X9 shifter and an S-Works crank.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Got a Boxing Day deal on a Ti Fireline frame for 750.
    Finally in stock.

Name:  fireline.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  10.5 KB

mtbr member
    I got a go pro aswell. A buddy of my just gave me money twords it and i payed the rest. The wifi on them is the best idea ever. So i think buying yourself something counts. In that case i bought myself some new esi chunky grips

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

ready to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by skikarl View Post
    not really a cheap wheel to get just to beat up with the intent of buying a new wheelset shortly there after. did you get it just due to the sale? was it an ea70? i love obsessing about upgrades lol, what wheelset you looking in to?
    Well I didn't have a wheel that was 15mm QR and didn't want to get a new fork that was 9mm QR. The Easton that I got is the one Jenson has labeled as 29er XC OEM. I got it on sale as well for less than $70. Figure it can serve as a backup wheel or I can sell it later. My only complaint is that the rims internal width is only about 17mm

Forgot I also got some Deity Compound pedals, which I like a lot. Great grip and and light and cheap.

Looking at getting a custom build wheel set from Chain reaction. Some Hope Evo2s laced or some WTB i23 rims. Though I am kind of on the fence between those and the Stan's Flows. I figure it's best to go with a rim that is true UST even though running tubeless isn't a huge concern for me. Especially since most of my favorite tires now come in UST or TLR models.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Thats a pretty good deal for that wheel. It is an ea70. I was looking at those pedals in green. Went with the slim jim SC's. Its better to have a technology and not use it than want it later and need to upgrade again

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Got a torx 25 for my rotors, new mini multitool and raceface dual locking grips

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was given a 30 tooth RaceFace Narrow Wide in red and a General Lee 42 Cassette on the way.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Got a Boxing Day deal on a Ti Fireline frame for 750.
    Finally in stock.

Name:  fireline.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  10.5 KB
    I was looking at that, but what's with that 67 degree head angle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I made out like a bandit this year:

2 x Maxxis Ikon (to use with my current Ardents up front) and Endura Convert2 jacket from my family. WCS carbon seatpost and Shimano Saint pedals (from myself to me ><) and a GoPro Hero 3+ from my wife
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29er
    2014 Trek Superfly 6
    2014 Trek X-Caliber 5 (for sale)
    2014 Scott Aspect 740 (650b)

mtbr member
    Everyone got the saints. I regret not getting those pedals so hard.

mtbr member
    Everyone got the saints. I regret not getting those pedals so hard.

I do love my Saint's.

For X-Mas I got a pair of Specialized Deflect winter gloves, and a pair of MTB shorts from the wife. I also got a park tools master link tool, and a park tools rotor truing fork. I bought for myself XT m875 brakes (front / rear)... upgrading to 203/180 from 180/160.
    "Never give up what you want most for what you want today." --Neal A. Maxwell

mtbr member
    SEE!?! everyone has them lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  35.3 KB

Well......the stock rear hub on my 2012 Epic Comp was making some horrific noise. I had it serviced a few times but they are known to be a problem. I was going to only do a black rear Hope hub, but I ended up with new front and rear hubs in red. I also picked up a set of Stans Arch EX and some DT Swiss spokes and some red nipples.

mtbr member
    VERY NICE! Good looking hub. Appreciate you actually posting a picture of then lol. That's quite an upgrade there! You must be getting pretty good a wheel building after all the services you have had to do and now a total build. I plan on taking apart and re-laceing my stock rims a few times to get my feet wet

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader1 View Post
    Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  35.3 KB

Well......the stock rear hub on my 2012 Epic Comp was making some horrific noise. I had it serviced a few times but they are known to be a problem. I was going to only do a black rear Hope hub, but I ended up with new front and rear hubs in red. I also picked up a set of Stans's Arch EX and some DT Swiss spokes and some red nipples.
    Nice is it the new 40 POE rear hub ?
    Great hubs for the price.

VERY NICE! Good looking hub. Appreciate you actually posting a picture of then lol. That's quite an upgrade there! You must be getting pretty good a wheel building after all the services you have had to do and now a total build. I plan on taking apart and re-laceing my stock rims a few times to get my feet wet

Pick up a used rear wheel that's true don't have to be any thing fancy just a wheel that's true.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The rim set is being assembled by a professional. I myself would not mind trying my hand at wheel building also. I enjoy the wrenching as much as the riding. This hub isn't the 40 POE, it's in the 20 range. For me.....that is fine. Some say you can't change them to 40 but some people say you can ???? I myself would not be able to tell the difference so I try to keep the $$$ down a little bit. I think I'll be able to tell that this Hope hub is by far better than the stock one.

mtbr member

Re: Holiday Upgrades!

Quote Originally Posted by PauLCa916 View Post

Pick up a used rear wheel that's true don't have to be any thing fancy just a wheel that's true.
    I have a new wheel set that is going on my bike soon. I will be taking my stock (boni at-650) rear wheel apart and put it back together. Because who cares if I mess some thing up lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I was looking at that, but what's with that 67 degree head angle?
    It's aimed toward all mountain with a 120mm fork. 68.9 degrees at ride height.
    Manitou and Rockshox have 51mm offset forks as 2014 options for quicker steering.
    434mm chainstays.

mtbr member
    Nice goodies from the Mrs...

Giro DND's
    Crank Bros. split skewers
    Maxxis Ignitor and Ardent
    Stans Kit
    Garmin VIRB Elite

Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    She must love you :-) looks nice. How's the garmin? You use it yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast