mtbr member

High Rise MTB Bars

I need to get the handlebars on my new bike higher. (A really short stem makes going that route hard.)

What would you recommend for a 2.5 - 3.0 inch rise handlebar?

mtbr member
    I had a RaceFace Respond 40mm (1.5 inch) riser bar and a 40 degree Bontrager Elite 75mm stem to get the grips at the point in space where they're most comfortable for me. I recently switched it out for a Renthal carbon FatBar Lite with 40mm rise. As far as I could find, there weren't any conventional MT bars with more rise than that. The ride position is perfect for me now. I love the carbon. It really does make a difference.

FYI, here's a stem-comparison calculator tool that might help you visualize hand position with various stem length/angle combinations.

Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    You might keep your bar and buy an extender that you put on top of your fork
    You might play with narrower bars that helps modify your cockpit and riding position.
    Maybe you might slide your saddle forward, use a neutral seatpost(no setback)
    You might also reverse a seatpost.
    I have xtra long legs with a short torso so on different bikes each of these option help me.
    Gaining a bit here + a bit there is sometimes needed.
    My main bike bar 680, rise 30, reverse seatpost, plus a woman design saddle and my fit is fine. I ride a small, a medium and a large so we can adapt a bike quite a bit but each body is unique.

mtbr member
    Hmmmmm, are there any stems out there wit more than a 40 degree rise?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjhsu View Post
    As I recall, +/- 40 degrees was as steep as it got. Various lengths up to 120mm.

There are extenders. I’d be nervous about trusting them on a mountain bike.

https://www.amazon.com/OUTERDO-Exten...9940138&sr=1-5

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyjhsu View Post
    Something like this?
    Onoff Stoic FG 10: http://www.onoffcomponents.com/produ...toic-fg-10-20/

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    Something like this?
    Onoff Stoic FG 10: Stem Stoic FG 10-20 | ONOFF Components 2017
    Thanks Aglo, i never saw it around here but i will try to order it.

@ Cuyuna i use a similar one on my fatbike but i agree a mountain bike gets bigger hits. Being 150 ponds i might be OK but a heavier rider with an agressive style might be wise to avoid that.

On a road bike i use an adjustable(variable angle stem pointing up) but only on a road bike.

Most of my bikes my hands are about same level as the top of my saddle,

To OP mesure the bike you are confortable with, the height difference saddle to hands and try to duplicate that. If you find a 40mm riser and it is too much after testing that is fine you can use your spacers to fine tune.

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Thanks Aglo, i never saw it around here but i will try to order it.
    (...)
    You can order it from a Mondraker store if you can't find one more locally to you.
    You have a 10mm and a 20mm with similar design. The 30mm option is a normal stem with 0° rise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hunter Cycles — Hunter " Smooth Move " High Rise Handlebars

I have a pair of these on the way! Great bars, I found them while doing a repair at the shop, customer let me ride the bike around for a bit, and while being the wrong size bike, I knew the bars were gonna be perfect for my next project

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My favorite bars : https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...UaAvujEALw_wcB

You guys do realise the Stoic stem is only 30mm in length. I replaced a 50mm stem w/ the Stoic and the stem felt way too short.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    My favorite bars : https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...UaAvujEALw_wcB

You guys do realise the Stoic stem is only 30mm in length. I replaced a 50mm stem w/ the Stoic and the stem felt way too short.
    Thanks keen, they sure look like a good match for my crazy long legs, i guess i will shop for a bike to use them

Is dang happy!
    I was searching for some (real) Hi Rise bars years ago and came up with nothing.

I always wondered why a wide 31.8 was not being produced, glad Answer has that in a 3" 810mm Protaper!

It killed a little part of me every time I put a steerer extender or bonner stem on a customers whip.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Curious why you would feel the need to put a serious riser on a 29er?

A bike that has tall handlebar height can be hard to get weight over the front wheel when cornering. No es bueno IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj View Post
    Curious why you would feel the need to put a serious riser on a 29er?

A bike that has tall handlebar height can be hard to get weight over the front wheel when cornering. No es bueno IMHO.
    Speaking for myself i allways had legs way longer than average for my height, now at 60 YO i lost about 1 in(spine compression by gravity) so i have crazy long legs, to keep my knees painfree i am stuck with a high saddle so if i ride any stock bike my hands are low and i am no racer, i have no car, pedal daily in cold, snow, ice so i need a comfortable position, and since i am very flexible i can load the front but i choose to do it only when needed, my bike offers me the option of race or comfort. I was just riding my fatbike today, the frame is small, so after i rise the saddle and the bars it fits me well. I was on a medium for a year but it was a bit long for 3-4 hours rides. It s a bone structure thing, often a woman design frame fits me better and i prefer comfort, the color is not on my important list.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by 33red View Post
    Speaking for myself i allways had legs way longer than average for my height, now at 60 YO i lost about 1 in(spine compression by gravity) so i have crazy long legs, to keep my knees painfree i am stuck with a high saddle so if i ride any stock bike my hands are low and i am no racer, i have no car, pedal daily in cold, snow, ice so i need a comfortable position, and since i am very flexible i can load the front but i choose to do it only when needed, my bike offers me the option of race or comfort. I was just riding my fatbike today, the frame is small, so after i rise the saddle and the bars it fits me well. I was on a medium for a year but it was a bit long for 3-4 hours rides. It s a bone structure thing, often a woman design frame fits me better and i prefer comfort, the color is not on my important list.
    Got it. Thanks for the explanation!