Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    29er
    Apr 2010

high quality wheelset is the best upgrade you can make to the bike

little background
    currently ride a 2011 gary fisher xcaliber
    stock wheels are Shimano M525 hubs on Bontrager rims and tires

just changed to:

Front Hadley 9mm Thru-Bolt, stans arch ex 32 hole, 3 cross double butted spokes, and kenda nevegal 2.2 tires set up tubless

Rear Hadley 10mm Thru-Bolt, stans flow 36 hole, 4 cross double butted spokes , and racing ralph 2.25 tires tubeless

I just came back from my first ride on the new wheels
    holy sh*t, I can't believe this is the same bike
    It is way faster, even the parts where i just coast downhill i gain way more speed because the wheels are so smooth. The 72 point engagement of the hub is very noticeable nearly instant. I didn't expect to see that much of a difference in stiffness, boy was i wrong, the new wheels allow me to hold a tighter line, I get more feedback from the bars and rear end. It is really confidence inspiring. With no other changes other than wheels and tires I found myself consistently in a higher gear because i could carry more speed. Even the cheap juicy brakes felt stronger.

Special thanks to Larry at Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels for building me a killer set of wheels at a fantastic price.

get down!
    Looking good!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

"THE RIDE IS MY CHURCH"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    little background
    currently ride a 2011 gary fisher xcaliber
    stock wheels are Shimano M525 hubs on Bontrager rims and tires

just changed to:

Front Hadley 9mm Thru-Bolt, stans arch ex 32 hole, 3 cross double butted spokes, and kenda nevegal 2.2 tires set up tubless

Rear Hadley 10mm Thru-Bolt, stans flow 36 hole, 4 cross double butted spokes , and racing ralph 2.25 tires tubeless

I just came back from my first ride on the new wheels
    holy sh*t, I can't believe this is the same bike
    It is way faster, even the parts where i just coast downhill i gain way more speed because the wheels are so smooth. The 72 point engagement of the hub is very noticeable nearly instant. I didn't expect to see that much of a difference in stiffness, boy was i wrong, the new wheels allow me to hold a tighter line, I get more feedback from the bars and rear end. It is really confidence inspiring. With no other changes other than wheels and tires I found myself consistently in a higher gear because i could carry more speed. Even the cheap juicy brakes felt stronger.

Special thanks to Larry at Ghisallo Wheels - Custom Wheels for building me a killer set of wheels at a fantastic price.

It's great when changes Kick A$$ !!! Nice Ride !!!
    ENJOY THE RIDE!!!

mtbr member
    Looking good!

I just picked up a pair of Chris King with Flow in 15mm front, 9mm rear.

I have been riding on a 200 dollar pair of Sun-Ringle High Rollers until now. I cant wait to feel the difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have an '09 X-caliber with boat anchor Bonty wheels, and was thinking of an upgrade along these lines.

Did the thru-bolt make much of a noticeable difference?
    And are the hubs super loud? I can't stand bike noise. Quieter is better IMO

29er
    Apr 2010
    i can't tell if it is the bolt thru ,or the wheel itself, but these are a lot stiffer and respond to inputs much better than my old wheels with skewers

and the thing that surprised me was how quiet the rear hub is, quieter than the original shimano. From watching videos on youtube i was expecting it to be loud

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    this is my pet peeve - stock wheels worth ~ $100-$200 on $2000-$3000 bikes. The bike industry in general does this. looking at a Giant anthem x 29er - $2400. Stock wheels are ridiculously heavy and worth literally $100.

29er
    Apr 2010
    because most novices look at the rear dérailleur when shopping for a new bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Noob question: Is thru-bolt the same as thru-axle? Were any changes required to the dropouts?

I have a AL Elite, and guy with the same bike but I9 wheels let me ride his. Just around the picnic area at the park, but NOTICIBLE difference.

Thanks.

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Noob question: Is thru-bolt the same as thru-axle? Were any changes required to the dropouts?.
    thru axle requires a different frame or fork
    thru bolt will work with any bike that uses a standard quick release system

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just picked up some Vuelta Zerolites for my Nimble 9 build. I couldnt pass on
    the price. USA made was an incentive.

mtbr member
    Nice! You are right. Wheels make a huge difference.

Never trust a fart
    Nice build.

However, my only question is why go with the Flow with a 4 cross on the rear? Kinda overkill IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    there is no such thing as overkill (is there?)!

L.R.

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    I know what you mean. The bike accelerates much easier with a lighter wheelset. It felt like I owned a different bike when I got my new wheels.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

29er
    Apr 2010
    Rear is over built on purpose. I don't race. 200 lbs. And want a wheel set to last forever

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This week I'm picking up a set of Chris King/ Flows that my LBS built up for me for my Transition Bandit 29. I can't wait! I've never had a "nice" set of wheels before and I'm really excited

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Couldnt agree more with this thread

just replaced stock Giant P-XC2 wheelset on my 29er Anthem X1. Ran a little too low pressure tubeless, and bent the rim/bead flying over a rock garden

Replaced with:

Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs
    DT Swiss 14/15 double butted
    Stans Arch EX

Also went with Ardent 2.4 frt and Ikon Exo 2.2 rear

Just rode the kokopelli trail - Fruita to Moab - 145 miles as my first ride after setup

one word - Awesome!

not an issue, noticeably faster and lighter and the tire combo was perfect without a nudge !!

mtbr member

2nd best upgrade

I have always maintained this to be the best upgrade for any bike. Most bikes come with low end wheels. As someone mentioned, people look at derailleurs or cranks and shifters, but wheels = rotational weight.

It is expensive to get a nice pair of wheels and light tires to match, but best bang for you buck.

Best overall upgrade is your saddle, especially if your arse will be sittin on it for 6 plus hours.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I disagree, best upgrades to your bike you can make are:

1) tires that match your area, conditions and riding style (too many people take tires for granted)
    2) good brakes

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBaker View Post
    I disagree, best upgrades to your bike you can make are:

1) tires that match your area, conditions and riding style (too many people take tires for granted)
    2) good brakes
    brakes? I try not to use mine!

In all seriousness it's great to have a good brake when you need it.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Glad to hear that your happy with your new custom wheels. Did you get a chance to weigh your stock wheels....Mustangs right? If so, was there a weight savings?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Also, the Mustang rims are offset (spokes not in the middle) so that you don't need to change the amount of dish to accomodate the cassette so much -- supposed to make a stronger wheel as I understand it.

Is this feature desirable? I don't see it offered in Stan's rims.

Thanks.
    Last edited by DennisF; 05-09-2012 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    I have Hadleys and Flows .... Worth every penny.

This grease is perfect for the bearings in the hub & freehub.

Triflow or any teflon based oil is fine for the pawls &/or the hub teeth. (don't use grease in that area)

More maintenance info here: Hadley Hub Service Guide by Go-Ride.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Having just replaced the real crappy Avids with new xts, a new wheelset and new tire combo all at the same time I actually agree - not sure if Id put the tires as described #1 or good brakes, but would actually state that IF you dont have good brakes, that might be a the best mechanical upgrade - tires - if they dont work for what your riding - well - that can ruin a ride - wheels - become more of a nice to have upgrade but can also change the bike - just like putting light weight wheels on a performance motorcycle/racebike - it can be dramatic in terms of performance and durability my slight tweak:

Must haves (upgrades) -
    1a - the correct and good tires for conditions and riding style
    1b - Brakes

Nice to haves (upgrades)
    1 - wheels
    2 - some really sweet stickers that make the bike look better and go waaaay faster -

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast