mtbr member

Help - Trek HiFi Pro 2x10 Conversion

Hi everyone,

I plan to convert my 2011 HiFi Pro from it's current 3x10 setup, to a 2x10 setup. I have my eye on a Sram X.O carbon crankset, and hope it will work.

A few questions.

1.) What is the bottom bracket size on my bike? BB30?
    2.) Do i require a new shifter? Or can I adjust my current X9 shifter to accommodate the 2x10 setup?
    3.) I know I need a new chain...
    4.) My front derailleur is direct mount onto my frame... will this pose a problem?

I really appreciate all your help!

Thanks in advance,
    Colin
    Check out my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/quikcolin

davidcarson48
    Not sure on the BB, but I think it's a BB86 with press fit bearings?

A friend of mine had a 3x10 FD on his HiFi and tried to use it to go 2x10. It never worked quite right. He grabbed a 2x10 XT FD and it worked perfectly out of the box.

Your current 10-speed chain is fine. You should just be able to shorten it a bit.

Direct mount is fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I believe it is a BB95. You can get the pressfit bearings from a Trek dealer or there are other guys like Enduro and Wheels Mfg making them. You just need the Sram/GXP model. It is different than the Shimano.

mtbr member
    Hey i recently had similar question... i have the hi fi 2011, so i emailed trek. this is the response "Thanks for writing. This pressfit bb system is often referred to as BB91. If you are using it with a Shimano crank, the part number for the bottom bracket is 419087, if you are using it with a SRAM/Truvativ bottom bracket it would be part number 419181. You can order these bottom brackets through your local Trek dealer, and if you need help finding the closest one to you we have a dealer locator here: http://locator.trekbikes.com/". Hope that helps!
    Pete

mtbr member
    Thanks soo much guys!

And Pete, thank you for including the email response Trek set you up with! Any idea how much that BB they suggested is?

mtbr member
    No prob! I hope to be getting to the shop this week. Will post it when I know.
    Pete

mtbr member
    Oh also... Shifters will be fine, just need to set travel limit on FD. David(above) is right. You may run into issues with the FD triple. The cage for triples are longer. I had similar issue with Shimano. Could use a triple but chain rubbed on bottom of cage if I tried to run the little ring up front with the smaller cogs on the back. When I changed to double FD that issue went away. No prob with current chain assuming in good condition can just shorten.

Curious... Do you currently have the xt triple up front? If not 100% sure about SRAM you could save some $ by going xt double. Cheaper than the xo and also no need to change bottom bracket if currently running Shimano.
    Pete

mtbr member
    I have a 2011 hifi deluxe and went 2x10 with a bash guard. Just limited the FD and it works great.

mtbr member
    Thanks again everyone! How do you limit the FD? I'm new to this stuff.... by the adjustment screws on the FD or cable length?

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    Thanks again everyone! How do you limit the FD? I'm new to this stuff.... by the adjustment screws on the FD or cable length?
    The limit screws. Just lock it down so you can only shift once up and once down!

mtbr member
    Okay, I've done some more digging. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the 170mm, 175mm, and 180mm (as per the options avail on the follow crank)... I have no idea what it refers to?

Shimano XT M785 Oe Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

This way I can keep my Shimano BB and just slide this sucker in place. Seems like a heck of a price.

Thanks everyone!

davidcarson48
    Quote Originally Posted by quikcolin View Post
    Okay, I've done some more digging. Can someone tell me what the difference is between the 170mm, 175mm, and 180mm (as per the options avail on the follow crank)... I have no idea what it refers to?

Shimano XT M785 Oe Crankset > Components > Drivetrain > Cranksets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

This way I can keep my Shimano BB and just slide this sucker in place. Seems like a heck of a price.

Thanks everyone!
    170/175/180 is the crankarm length. Has nothing to do with fit. Any will work...but if you had a large frame, 175mm length is the same as what you were running.

mtbr member
    You've been a huge help! Thx very much!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I did the conversion last year. Initially I took off the big ring, replaced it with a bash guard and set the limit screws appropriately on the FD. After a while I outgrew the middle ring and needed something taller. I would eventually settle on a 26x38 combo which works out quite well gearing wise.
    On the other hand, the front derailleur would not quite accommodate the new crankset. We played with the limit screws, got a longer limit screw, and just couldn't get rid of an annoying rub. I ended up going with an 2x10 specific front derailleur.
    Lastly, the bike shipped with a 175mm crank set. I ended up choosing the 170mm. I was hoping to do a couple of things with this. First, I have short legs and I was getting a bit of knee pain. I was hoping shorter cranks would help alleviate some of this. Second, I was also getting a lot of pedal strikes, while 5mm is pretty small, I was hoping that, a bit less sag and an adjustment to my riding style would reduce them. What I gave up is leverage at the pedal and the power that came with it. I don't know/can't tell if I lost any speed/power because the rings are different to begin with. I will say that I enjoy having the 26 though - it is a nice gear to be in . I'll push the 38 a lot more later in the season and it never leaves me wanting the 42 that came on the bike.