mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Help with a tire purchase.....

I am currently on Schwable Racing Ralphs on my first 29er. It's time for new tires and since I need both, I'm a bit put off on the price of RR's so I'm trying to see what else is out there. For the record, I thought the Racing Ralphs were great.

I ride about 100 miles a week of pavement (85% of my riding) and despite that, I still like pretty big knobbies. I'm a clyde and my Specialize Expert Carbon is limited to 2.2 in the rear. When I do ride off road, it's usually pretty technical.

Let me know so of your favorites. TIres are all pretty new to me.

Thanks on advance,

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Look at the Kenda Slant Six
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

turtles make me hot
    I'm a Clyde also and I run the Slant Six on the rear. Love it. Currently, my favorite front tire is the Tioga Psycho Genius.
    I also like the Geax Saguaro on the back. Put it in the Speed direction. Traction kicks up big sticks and destroys the rear derailleur. Ask me how I know.
    I like turtles

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Snackie View Post
    I am currently on Schwable Racing Ralphs on my first 29er. It's time for new tires and since I need both, I'm a bit put off on the price of RR's so I'm trying to see what else is out there. For the record, I thought the Racing Ralphs were great.

I ride about 100 miles a week of pavement (85% of my riding) and despite that, I still like pretty big knobbies. I'm a clyde and my Specialize Expert Carbon is limited to 2.2 in the rear. When I do ride off road, it's usually pretty technical.

Let me know so of your favorites. TIres are all pretty new to me.

Thanks on advance,
    Get the Schwalbe Rapid Rob. Same tread as the "old" RaRa in a less expensive single compound rubber.

Or the Panaracer CG XC 2.25 does pretty well on pavement and very good in the dirt.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ra Ra comes in Performance compound at 35-40 per tire.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I think the Maxxis Ikon is a pretty good alternative to the Racing Ralph.