mtbr member
    Feb 2011

help - which set of 29 AM/trail tires?

Specialized Butcher 29x2.3 front + Purgatory 29x2.3 rear

or

Bontrager XR4 29x2.3 front + XR3 29x2.3 rear

Anyone try both of these setups?
    which setup is better for AM/trail riding on a long travel FS 29er?

Thx, Mo.

Cassoulet forever !
    i think booth are very good choices.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I like Purg up front and GC on the back.

Need a new rear so I may try a captain.

I have to admit, I've been thinking of that same XR combo as I try to move away from anything Specialized. It been hard with the tires since important to have confidence in them I love their tires.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Short-Change-Hero
    Depends on the terrain that you are riding. I have tried the Purgatory 2.25 on my bikes and just did not like it, seemed to hook up alright for the most part but when the dirt because a bit soft and dry it would easily lose traction going around corners and had a somewhat vague section that would suddenly disappear when leaning the bike over at a decent degree.

For me, I have fallen in love with GEAX tires (now Vittoria) and have had great luck and longevity out of them. Currently running the 2.3" Gato in front with the 2.25" Goma in back. I ride a good variety of terrain in them on a fairly regular basis living in the High Desert so I can get everything from deep sand, to pea gravel, loose over hard, to loomy trail and they have not disappointed me at all. My Gato has 3 seasons of riding on it and is just now starting to show chipping/tearing at the edges of the knobs and the Goma (similar tread pattern to the Ardent) has been doing great as a rear tire. When I recently went out to Steamboat Springs, CO I found the setup to be a bit of overkill so I probably would have gone with the Goma up front and my Saguaro in the rear but they did great on the hardpack out there none-the-less.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    You'll get people who love them and hate them but personally I did not like the Purgatory, up front or out back.

Out back it dragged worse than anything I've ever tried, with climbing traction in the league of light duty XC tires. It braked well in a straight line but there are tires that roll better and climb better that brake just as well or better.

For me the Butcher was decent up front but it was basically a Minion DHF that gripped worse and had weaker sidewalls. Depending on where you ride, this might be perfect for you as it is a couple hundred grams lighter.

mtbr member

I've been really happy with my Chunky Monkey up front, but have yet to find a complementary rear.

I started out with another CM out back and loved the volume and grip on the downs, but it as a bit of a pig going uphill.

Swung way over to an XC tire - Ikon 2.35 - which pedaled great but lacked sidewall support and traction, both uphill climbing and downhill braking. Not really sure what I was expecting there... It did break loose predictably, which made for good fun. I think I could learn to be okay with this tire if the sidewalls were a little more stout. As it is, to firm them up enough for my liking, grip suffers. Too low and I swear the tire folds in half. Even if I found the perfect pressure, I'd be worried that the tire is eventually gonna get sliced up.

Just bought a 2.3 Ground Control Grid, which I'm hoping gives me a little more grip, lots more sidewall support, and still rolls better than the CM. My impression of the tire is that it's on the lighter side of AM, but I think I'm okay with that.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have been having good luck with the WTB Vigilante 29 inch 2.3 tires for a rear tire. Running them tubeless. Seem to have good grip, roll good, great traction, and brake good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I've been really happy with my Chunky Monkey up front, but have yet to find a complementary rear.

I started out with another CM out back and loved the volume and grip on the downs, but it as a bit of a pig going uphill.

Swung way over to an XC tire - Ikon 2.35 - which pedaled great but lacked sidewall support and traction, both uphill climbing and downhill braking. Not really sure what I was expecting there... It did break loose predictably, which made for good fun. I think I could learn to be okay with this tire if the sidewalls were a little more stout. As it is, to firm them up enough for my liking, grip suffers. Too low and I swear the tire folds in half. Even if I found the perfect pressure, I'd be worried that the tire is eventually gonna get sliced up.

Just bought a 2.3 Ground Control Grid, which I'm hoping gives me a little more grip, lots more sidewall support, and still rolls better than the CM. My impression of the tire is that it's on the lighter side of AM, but I think I'm okay with that.
    Try the Ardent or DHR2. I'm seruously impressed with both. Just depends how much traction vs rolling resistance you want. The Ardent gives up an equal amount of traction as it gains in speed compared to DHR2

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Try the Ardent or DHR2. I'm seruously impressed with both. Just depends how much traction vs rolling resistance you want. The Ardent gives up an equal amount of traction as it gains in speed compared to DHR2
    Thanks. Just put the GC through its paces. Really impressed. Top 5 personal times both climbing and descending on a trail I've done 50+ times. And I'm out of shape...

Perhaps when the GC wears out I'll give one of those a try.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

Formerly of Kent
    I'm having a hard time imagining a world where an IKON 2.35 lacks climbing traction.

Muddy roots and rocks?

beater

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I'm having a hard time imagining a world where an IKON 2.35 lacks climbing traction.

Muddy roots and rocks?
    I haven't tried one yet, although I probably will next year. That said, I don't expect it to provide anywhere near the kind of grip on loose rubble climbs that I get from a tire like the DHF or DHR2. I really noticed a loss in traction in these situations when I put a Michelin Wild Grip'R 2 out back.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

Muddy roots and rocks?
    I happen upon a lot of loose over hard, DG/sand over smooth rock, set up in short but steep bursts. Never had an issue with my CMs in that scenario. The GC did really really well today.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox