Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manmythlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    270

    Help with picking tires for this type of terrain (pics + video)

    You can skip my long version and straight to TL;DR if youd like..


    I have some pics I took myself and a video from YT.
    Seems alot of tire reviews include phrases like "hard pack , loose clay , loose pack etc"... Im not yet familiar with what each is yet.

    Im riding 60% pavement 40% off road.
    On pavement rolling resistance and decent tread life/flat protection is what I worry about.
    Off road.. Dunno you tell me. Id like something grippy that isnt heavy.

    Keep in mind Im running through this stuff on a pair of 700 x 35c 400gram Marathon Supremes and not really having any issues but Im avoiding the more obstacle heavy stuff because of the lack of volume.

    My original intent was Marathons most of the time except for days I knew I was hitting trails. But I kind of discovered a close by trail I never knew of. So now my needs have changed.

    I have a pair of Geax Evolution 1.9 tires(too darn heavy at 800+ g Each)
    And a pair of Kenda Klaw XT 2.1 (great for Off road but heavy and slooow on pavement)




    TL;DR Check these pics out and recommend a light and versatile tire for pavement these trails.



    Im thinking Small Block 8s ?



    Close by

    Help with picking tires for this type of terrain (pics + video)-img_20130622_192651.jpg

    Help with picking tires for this type of terrain (pics + video)-img_20130622_195331.jpg


    Trail 2


  2. #2
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,979
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    You can skip my long version and straight to TL;DR if youd like..


    I have some pics I took myself and a video from YT.
    Seems alot of tire reviews include phrases like "hard pack , loose clay , loose pack etc"... Im not yet familiar with what each is yet.

    Im riding 60% pavement 40% off road.
    On pavement rolling resistance and decent tread life/flat protection is what I worry about.
    Off road.. Dunno you tell me. Id like something grippy that isnt heavy.

    Keep in mind Im running through this stuff on a pair of 700 x 35c 400gram Marathon Supremes and not really having any issues but Im avoiding the more obstacle heavy stuff because of the lack of volume.

    My original intent was Marathons most of the time except for days I knew I was hitting trails. But I kind of discovered a close by trail I never knew of. So now my needs have changed.

    I have a pair of Geax Evolution 1.9 tires(too darn heavy at 800+ g Each)
    And a pair of Kenda Klaw XT 2.1 (great for Off road but heavy and slooow on pavement)




    TL;DR Check these pics out and recommend a light and versatile tire for pavement these trails.



    Im thinking Small Block 8s ?
    Minimal tread lugs for sure. Small Block 8's, WTB Nanos, Continental Race Kings, NoTubes Ravens, etc...

    Of all of those I would, without a doubt, go with the WTB Nanos because they will last longer on the pavement than anything else designed to also be ridden on dirt. And they will be great on those trails you pictured as well.


    From the WTB website description of the Nano...

    It features an elevated centerline that rolls effortlessly on hard surfaces, numerous micro knob working edges providing lateral traction and predictability, and a voluminous casing designed to go the distance.

    Kudos to you for posting up pictures and the video which certainly helps others providing suggestions!!! That video says your local trail system has some fun stuff in it.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DPCardoza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    16

    Re: Help with picking tires for this type of terrain (pics + video)

    Nobody mentioned geax aka's. I'm trying to wear out my current set so I can try them for myself. It's gotten pretty good reviews though. Reportedly better than the kendal sb8's on the asphalt.

    Sent From My Galaxy Note 2

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manmythlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    270
    Thanks for the suggestions. AKA and WTB nano are now on my lookemup list.

    (((Kudos to you for posting up pictures and the video which certainly helps others providing suggestions!!! That video says your local trail system has some fun stuff in it))
    Thanks. I figure it would be easier for someone to see and liken the trail to something theyve been on.
    Yeah the one in the Video is pretty varied its really popular.

  5. #5
    Never trust a fart
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,879
    I'm going to suggest the Specialized Fast Traks. Great for the terrain you are running, and they have a close, low profile knob that would be good for the road as well.


    Also look at the Continental Race Kings. Similar style to the Fast Traks.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DPCardoza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    16

    Help with picking tires for this type of terrain (pics + video)

    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. AKA and WTB nano are now on my lookemup list.

    (((Kudos to you for posting up pictures and the video which certainly helps others providing suggestions!!! That video says your local trail system has some fun stuff in it))
    Thanks. I figure it would be easier for someone to see and liken the trail to something theyve been on.
    Yeah the one in the Video is pretty varied its really popular.
    I hadn't saw the Nano. Looks like a nice tire. Sure you couldn't go wrong with either.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manmythlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    270

    Re: Help with picking tires for this type of terrain (pics + video)

    Is sidewall protection something I should be overly concerned with ?
    Reading reviews for the tires mentioned (maxxis Ikons also) ...do any standout for tubeless ?

    BTW did the Cunningham trails yesterday they failed to mention the bushes eager to whip your arms as you pass:-) .

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    400
    Small blocks or something like this

    Schwalbe Big Ben wire, RaceGuard Performance line, HS439

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    391
    I like the AKA as a rear tire, it rolls fast and lasts long. Kinda heavy though in the TNT casing and for the trails around here I like The Captain better.

  10. #10
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,979
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    Is sidewall protection something I should be overly concerned with ?
    Reading reviews for the tires mentioned (maxxis Ikons also) ...do any standout for tubeless ?

    BTW did the Cunningham trails yesterday they failed to mention the bushes eager to whip your arms as you pass:-) .
    You shouldn't have to worry about sidewalls on those trails. It's not the dirt trails I was worried about from your original post, but the pavement. Pavement will wear mountain bike tread down - well, at least high end XC mountain bike tires. You'd be overspending to get high end XC tires designed for dirt. That's why the Nano (the original 29"er tire that started it all) is such a good tire. The centerline tread is what contacts the pavement and it takes years (if not more) to wear it out. It is designed to be ridden on both pavement and dirt. Most others being mentioned are not.

    On the other hand, you can run the high end XC tires on pavement. As the tread wears, their rolling resistance will improve and you'll get faster and faster. Once they wear out enough that they no longer provide traction on dirt - well, just buy another pair. The rear will wear much quicker than the front tire.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manmythlegend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    270
    Which would be the correct Nano ?

    Amazon.com: wtb nano: Sports & Outdoors

    There seems to be numerous options. Even in the 29er tire database I cant tell which version is the lightest and which are the most tubeless friendly.

    Its weird I had to go to Kendas site and look up the model number to get the correct model for SB8

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2TE9IQP68MWQU

    These seem to be the lightest version of the SB8. Many use them tubeless although they dont seem to be Tubeless ready.

    ((seems like numerous labels meaning different types of tubeless friendliness.
    I have a pair of black flags with Stans width and tape pre-installed))

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    400
    I have run both of the 29er small blocks tubeless with stan's a few years back, and didn't seem to notice a difference. I can't tell weight, don't have a scale.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,089
    The nano's since they are reputed to wear somewhat slowly on pavement, sound like a natural choice for your situation.
    I've always liked SB8's, but they wear really fast on pavement, really really fast on pavement if they are on the back wheel as well. When I use SB8's, I generally use them as q front tire, in the 26X2.35 size, and run something like a Crossmark or a Nevegal as a rear tire for more traction. Both of the rear tires I use in 2.1'" width.

    I ride in hardpack, little/no mud, and not a lot of sharp, rocky ST on the trails I hit most often. Having a substantially wider front tire on my bikes has always made the bike feel more controllable to me. But if I was riding with drop bars, like a cyclocross bike, I don't think I'd use that setup.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    44
    I can attest to the durability of the Nano's. I use them on my beater and ride 75% pavement with some rails-to-trails on the remaining quarter and they wear like steel. Based on those pictures, I'd say go with the Nanos. I remember getting them from wheelworld or arts for cheap.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckeieio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    443
    At 60% pavement I'd go with Maxxis Crossmark on the back and something like a dual compound Racing Ralph, smallblock 8, race king and similar patterns on the front.

    That the Nano looks like a solid rear also as mentioned above.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    228
    +1 Small block 8's

Similar Threads

  1. Action pics of Rigids on technical terrain
    By shackleton47 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 319
    Last Post: 3 Weeks Ago, 04:46 PM
  2. Type of Terrain near DC
    By Chezowan in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 04:33 PM
  3. Mixed-terrain tires
    By GRAVELBIKE in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 02:48 AM
  4. What type of bike works best on flat, rooty, sandy terrain?
    By DoinkMobb in forum Southeast - GA, TN, AL, FL
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 04:01 PM
  5. Tires and terrain
    By G-FOURce in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 09:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •