mtbr member

help picking a new wheel set?

im looking to buy a new set of wheels for my SC tall boy al. im 235lbs down from 295 and have been back riding almost a year after being off the bike for about 10 years. i ride xc and just started racing (for fun). i plan on racing for as long as its fun and want one set of wheels (for now) to train/ ride for fun and race on. right now my bike weighs 30 lbs. i know I NEED to drop more body weight and i'm working on it. i have been looking at having my lbs build me a set of stans arch ex with American Classic hubs that should weigh around 1700- 1750g ? or buying a set of ROVAL CONTROL 29 that weigh 1,680g that come with Limited Lifetime Warranty. both sets cost about the same. are there any other wheels i should look at getting. any input would help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Airpark Bikes in Scottsdale has some nice wheels made buy Tru Composite that are affordable. They are very nice quality and a fair price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    You are a pretty good sized dude. Honestly, if you have the money you can't go wrong with Chris King, Hope, or Hadley. I don't know that ROVAL's would like your size too much, but a nice set of Stans Flows mounted tubeless would be real nice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    For your size go with a king hub. I have run king and am classic hubs, this is a pic of my spare 9mm front axles for both hubs. Check out the beef on that king axle on the top. A little extra weight at the hub is worth not walking home, trust me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails help picking a new wheel set?-image.jpg  

Last edited by JakeSch; 10-06-2012 at 08:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Rovals have no weight limit, lifetime warranty and star ratchets in the rear. the only minor drawback is probably a 19mm interior width. I would like to see more. Both my ArchEX rear wheels have 36 upgrade star ratchets and the endcaps to use RWS thru-bolts. I will always choose star ratchets. I would go with that combination, unless you can also get a good deal on the wider Control carbons. Star ratchets also. Hey, you're under the 240 limit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've been running the arch ex, Stan's hubs at 210 lbs geared up....they work great but only have about a months worth of riding on them...and can't comment on long term durability. Your a decent sized guy and the flows might be more suitable for training rides. For racing, I'm sure you can get away with the arch rims and either hub listed.

A few guys I've met on the trails have been about your size riding the crests! But hey, some people are easy on equipment...and others beat them to hell. It wouldn't be a bad idea to invest a little more for some rock solid hubs. I have no doubt that the arch ex rims will hold up, but I'd do your homework and find a tried and true hub/spoke combo for a rider of your size. Also...if your building the wheelset you have tons of options other then arch and flows. I keep hearing about the WTB's (can't remember exact model name. Either i19, i23 I think? Depending on the width your after) supposedly a stronger rim but also lightweight. Also sun ringle, mavic, dt, etc. Many many options available.

Andrew
    Can't go wrong with Azonic Outlaws. Bulletproof, roll fast, sound cool as sh!t. Set them up tubeless and you'll be around the same weight as the wheels you posted with tubes. I'm loving mine.

FWIW I'm 187 (down from 211) and beat the living crap out of my 29er hardtail. These are tanks.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100