mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Listen! Help with new stem

I'm using my stock bontrager 7 degree rise 105mm,

I have easton's Haven handlebars on now and I'd like to either go to the Haven stem or a lighter EA90 stem.
    Problem is that neither have the 7 degree rise. Could I shorten the stem and achieve the same but shorter feel? I really need to save some ounces somewhere
    .. so its either the stem and seatpost or riding in spandex..

Help me out with some math or ideas.
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    Here you go. Stem Comparison Tool.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    how do you do it,

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickgears View Post
    how do you do it,

Thanks
    Fill in the numbers from your bike and stem in the Red box then start putting possible replacement stem figures into the Blue box. Press "Calculate" and it will show you how the stems compare. If the "X" coincides the handlebar will be in the same position. Spacers are the spacers under the stem. You could use a straight 0 stem with a spacer and get the same position or shorter if you prefer. You need to play with it. Look at the example.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    noooo... Thankyou, thats a badass tool

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Now to think about it, I'm gonna forget about the stem untill I find a clear substitute, like you said, a 7degree diff will make the cockpit feel completely different, taking into consideration the length of my bars, the height and tires and the torque of all of those together, making that same turn with ease.

I'll buy a seatpost first. Haven, Bontrager Rythmn or Eastons 70,

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If you want to change your steering but not your cockpit feel you have an option. For example --80mm 7 degree stem at less than 100g. $28.50
    New UNO "6" Lightweight MTB ROAD 31.8 x 80mm Stem , 93g , Black | eBay
    Pair that with a 20mm setback seatpost. Same as current cockpit with better steering and less weight on the front. I can still climb seated from the seat front without the front coming up. I don't have any OTB feeling going downhill or over log pile jumps.

Prime
    Go on JensonUSA website. When looking at stems you can filter by rise, length, etc.