Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me upgrade. $500 budget

Alright guys I want to start upgrading some parts on my stock 2012 spec Camber Comp Carbon. I have a $500 budget to work with. I want to lighten my bike and get better components. This is what I have in mind

-longer stem
    -carbon handlebar
    -new saddle
    -carbon seatpost
    Or
    -carbon crankset
    -lighter chainring

Sounds like a good plan?
    Any suggestions?

banned
    Option one does'nt sound to bad. Get the bike dialed in where your comfy.

If you bash your pedals and cranks on rocks. You might want to reconsider carbon cranks.

I just bought me the Syntace P6 HiFlex carbon seatpost last night. I found it online for only $147 shipped.

Yeah you have me rethinking the carbon cranks. I do hit my pedals/cranks on rocks every now and then. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would upgrade the wheels. The rear hub is especially upgradable. A Joi-Tech 2 pawl.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Drivetrain is a high wear item/s...I would upgrade the cockpit first & drivetrain last. Last as in everything else, wheels, tires, brakes, fork, etc. before drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    For $500 I would get new wheels. ZTR/Hope.

These are very good ideas and suggestions. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    Drivetrain is a high wear item/s...I would upgrade the cockpit first & drivetrain last. Last as in everything else, wheels, tires, brakes, fork, etc. before drivetrain.
    I'll second this. But, when the time comes, you can save ~140g by going from the 1030 cassette to the 1070.

With that said, that's a pretty light bike to start with. I'd just start saving for a good wheelset and think about what tires you'd like next. Both of those items will be far more noticeable than the amount of weight you can shave from the bar/stem/seat area.

Enjoy the new ride. That's a nice bike. If you're really itching to spend money to increase speed, I'd recommend a Garmin with a heart rate monitor. That combined with lots of reading in the XC/Training forum has netted me some great improvements.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Keep this in mind, there are only 3 points of contact between you & the bike, your hands, feet & butt. The cockpit eg grips, saddle & pedals will make a world of difference in the comfort of your ride. If you're uncomfortable you won't ride no matter what other upgrades you throw cash at.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Uno View Post
    For $500 I would get new wheels. ZTR/Hope.

Absolutely. A wheelset is an upgrade that will make a huge difference, vs saving a handful of grams. New appropriate tires for your riding, preferably tubeless can increase the improvement...

After that, like was stated earlier, saddle and grips are good upgrades if you aren't happy with what you have.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Absolutely. A wheelset is an upgrade that will make a huge difference, vs saving a handful of grams.

I currently have the Roval Control Trail wheelset on my bike. It supposedly weighs 1800 grams. I know it ain't light, but it seems like a decent wheel. Are there any wheelsets for $500 that are better than the one I currently have?

mtbr member
    I jsut upgraded every component on my bike, the frame is all that remains stock. lol
    The biggest weight savers and performance increase came from the lighter crankset and lighter front fork.
    This made my front and back end much lighter and more balanced.

The other item I upgraded that also made the largest weight change was carbon handle bars.
    My stock handle bars were very heavy.

The next most significant upgrade was a new wheel-set.

I will say that every part I changes was 50-200 grams lighter than the stock parts, and adding them all together really paid off.
    I shopped around to get the best deals possible on each part, usually 50% off.
    I still spend about $1K in upgrade parts though, not including the wheel-set.

mtbr member
    To get a nice wheel set for the cheapest is to build it.

Stans has the ZTR flow wheels on sale for only $50 each!

You can get any light shimano hub cheaply or pony up for a more expensive hub, but take care as the price of spokes can add up.

Okay so far I picked up a carbon seatpost and carbon handlebar. There went $300. I got $200 left to play with. Right now I'm looking for a new 90mm stem. My current stem is 60mm and I've always felt it was too short.

Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    I jsut upgraded every component on my bike, the frame is all that remains stock. lol
    The biggest weight savers and performance increase came from the lighter crankset and lighter front fork.
    This made my front and back end much lighter and more balanced.

The other item I upgraded that also made the largest weight change was carbon handle bars.
    My stock handle bars were very heavy.

The next most significant upgrade was a new wheel-set.

I will say that every part I changes was 50-200 grams lighter than the stock parts, and adding them all together really paid off.
    I shopped around to get the best deals possible on each part, usually 50% off.
    I still spend about $1K in upgrade parts though, not including the wheel-set.

Thanks. This was a pretty useful post.

mtbr member
    When ever I look at upgrading a bike I look at two spots before anything.

1. Wheelset - This is where you'll see the biggest performance gain. You have to overcome the mass of the wheels to get rolling, any changes here are significant. Even a small bit can feel like a big deal, especially on mile 5 of a 10 mile climb!

2. The next part I'd upgrade is the cockpit of a bike. Stem, Bars, Grips, Post and Seat are all usually pretty heavy on stock parts. Big gains in weight can be had here. As well as comfort. The more comfortable you are the better you perform.

Look at those points first and slowly work your way out.

A cheap way to "upgrade" or lighten a wheelset is to look at the tires on it. Quite often a stock bike will have heavy tires on it. You can save a few hundred grams by going to a better quality tire. You may spend around $120+ to accomplish this, but do that plus your cockpit and you'll save quite a bit of weight and gain a ton of performance.

mtbr member
    Duplicate post

mtbr member
    I almosy forgot;

Stan's tubless kit with $100 of rubber is the first and foremost upgrade for any bike.

I recommend budgeting the tubeless tire conversion with your stem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazukea View Post
    Okay so far I picked up a carbon seatpost and carbon handlebar. There went $300. I got $200 left to play with. Right now I'm looking for a new 90mm stem. My current stem is 60mm and I've always felt it was too short.
    Also, your stem length, 60 is pretty short and I tried a 55 also 100, but found that 70-80 is where I need to be for joint comfort.
    Don't spend too much on the stem because you may not like it long term.
    Last edited by Trail_Blazer; 09-03-2012 at 03:56 PM.

thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys. Everyone gets a positive rep!

I'm looking for a 75mm up to a 90mm. yeah I don't plan on getting an expensive stem cause I feel I could use the money elsewhere. I just found a used 75mm stem on ebay. The auction ends tomorrow, actually in several hours. You guys better not outbid me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by schristie11 View Post
    I almosy forgot;

Stan's tubless kit with $100 of rubber is the first and foremost upgrade for any bike.

I recommend budgeting the tubeless tire conversion with your stem.
    Some quick googling gave me mixed answers, but his rims may be tubless ready as is.

Did your bike come with a set of tubeless stems in an accesory bag? I'd try checking in the Specialized forum for a more definitive answer.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Try this site to help find the proper measurements for fit.

http://competitivecyclist.com/fit-calculator/

mtbr member
    dropper post and new stem if your current stem isnt long enough.. I had a reverb and now a ks lev.. A dropper post is one of the biggest impact add-ons i have gotten so far(youll be amazed how much you use it).. Your wheels @ 1800gm are fine... If your stem is to short-- then your cockpit is cramped- and that is no good.. I went from a 50mm to a 70mm and it made a world of difference.. You can get both those items for less then 500 and your riding experience will be a much better one..

Get both the dropper and stem from competitive.. They offer a no questions asked return policy.. So if the stem is to short-- you just send it back and they will give you the one you want and or refund.. Makes it a no risk purchase.. Also-- as said above-- tubless is cheap and has a good impact on ride quality..

reverb=275
    thomspon 70mm stem=80
    stans tubless kit= 60
    ergon sm3 seat=100
    --------------------------------
    total 515 and some big changes for that money..

Also another thing to look at is some shimano brakes.. i had avid xo's and finally had enough-- put on xt's and was a instant improvement.. Though now id go slx666's

could go
    reverb 275
    thompson 80
    slx brakes f/r 170
    -----------------------------
    total 525
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Fit is key, but................Just my .02c, I kind of want to call Stan's and thank them for the new bike that came with the ZTR Arch EX wheelset I just threw on mine. Best $500 I've spent....stem and bar are next for me.

banned
    Not sure if your current rims are tubeless ready. If not you should really consider either you doing it yourself or have a LBS do it. I'll never go back to tubes. The comfort, traction and far less flats is well worth it.

ESI silicone grips are the best bang for buck going.

OP mentioned possibly a new saddle. If your @$$ and saddle are'nt in love. Consider getting a new one.

More great suggestions. You guys are really making me want to go tubeless. I've watched some videos on how to do it. It doesn't look to hard. I just gotta check if they are tubeless ready. Is 2Bliss the same as tubeless ready? My tires (Purgatory and Ground Control) also are 2bliss ready. I'm guessing thats how Specialized calls there tubeless ready tires/rims.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast