mtbr member
    Aug 2012

... and if we just ... Help me pick out some new hubs for my new wheels!

Hey guys, so I picked up the front and rear 2012 trek superfly elite wheels, but they didn't come with the hubs. Can someone post a link to the hubs I would need to work with my 2012 trek mamba? I have no clue what to look for or what to get. I really would like them to be a good upgrade from what I have now. Can I use the hubs off my mamba? Or should I just upgrade while I'm at it? FYI, I bought these superfly tires and wheels for $80, a deal I couldn't pass up so that's why I'm trying to make them work with my mamba! Your help and posting links would really help me out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ? Hubs are what the spokes are laced into opposite the rim. They include a disk mount front and rear and a cassette and freehub on the rear. Are you missing the QR's. How about a picture.
    I'm thinking you mean rotors. You can use the rotors and bolts(blue loctite) from your old wheels.
    I'm ordering these--
    AVID Picture - More Detailed Picture about New AVID HS1 Clean Sweep Disc Brake Rotor MTB 160mm 6" Picture in Bicycle Brake from sanny zhang's store
    Last edited by eb1888; 08-11-2012 at 02:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    ? Hubs are what the spokes are laced into opposite the rim. They include a disk mount front and rear and a cassette and freehub on the rear. Are you missing the QR's. How about a picture.
    I'm thinking you mean rotors. You can use the rotors and bolts(blue loctite) from your old wheels.
    I'm ordering these--
    AVID Picture - More Detailed Picture about New AVID HS1 Clean Sweep Disc Brake Rotor MTB 160mm 6" Picture in Bicycle Brake from sanny zhang's store
    Thanks a bunch for the reply. I will post a picture, give me a few to figure out how to do that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ok, well here are the pictures. I am a total newbie here and bought these blindly and now am doubting they will even fit my Mamba. I was told these are off a 2012 Superfly elite? The tires are said to be never ridden on and the wheels only 6 rides tops and are true. The seller was asking $250 and I offered $80 and she accepted.

So what kind of deal did I get and how do I make these work on my 2012 Trek Mamba? Im cringing that I just threw away $80.....

Rub it............
    You have 2 options. Replace the fork with one that accepts the thru-axle or find a hub - your choice - that is the correct spoke count. Looks like it's a 28 spoke hole hub that would be required.

Just keep in mind that replacing the hub will more than likely result in having to replace all the spokes due to the different dimensions of the hub flanges (where the spokes go through).

So cost of fork vs. cost of hub/spokes/labor to re-lace the wheel.

Neither is going to be cheap. The hub route is cheaper than the fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
    You have 2 options. Replace the fork with one that accepts the thru-axle or find a hub - your choice - that is the correct spoke count. Looks like it's a 28 spoke hole hub that would be required.

Just keep in mind that replacing the hub will more than likely result in having to replace all the spokes due to the different dimensions of the hub flanges (where the spokes go through).

How much are you talking? Do you have a fork in mind that you can link me to? I bought the mamba for $500, so im ok with putting some money into the bike if it makes sense to do so. What do you think? Or should I just sell them and go another route?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post

Getting a compatible fork with G2 geometry is also going to be harder to source as well.

Rub it............
    Not sure on a fork with the G2 geometry. You would have to contact your Trek dealer for that.

That being said, others have installed non-G2 geometry forks on their G2 bikes without issues.

So minimally, for a fork, your looking at $250 bux or more

The front hub replacement will depend ultimately on hub cost. Spokes will run around $50 or so, labor to re-lace minimum of $50-$60.

If you go with a hub, say a Chris King, the hub will run around $200. But an inexpensive hub could be $50.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Arent these the same wheels I have? This guy did the same thing im trying to do right? 2012 trek mamba Gary fisher collection - YouTube so what do you guys recommend I do at this point? What would make the most sense?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The front is a 15mm QR and the rear appears to be a 142 x 12mm - sell the set and start over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    So what do I do? Sell or get shocks/hubs?

Rub it............
    If it was me, I'd sell and start over. See if you can make a few bux.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For the front hub, you can check with your local Trek dealer and see if you can get different end caps (the red part) that will convert to 9mm QR. I have the same front wheel but mine is 9mm. It looks like they just thread into the hub. Not sure about cost. The back is a bit more difficult, don't think you can easily change to standard QR.

FWIW, I think I would look into a rear hub to match the bike and have it relaced.

If you decide to get rid of the wheels, I would keep the tires if they work where you ride. Those look like they are almost new from what I can tell in the pictures and tires aren't cheap. If nothing else, you got a set of tires for your $80.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntwadumela View Post
    For the front hub, you can check with your local Trek dealer and see if you can get different end caps (the red part) that will convert to 9mm QR. I have the same front wheel but mine is 9mm. It looks like they just thread into the hub. Not sure about cost. The back is a bit more difficult, don't think you can easily change to standard QR.

FWIW, I think I would look into a rear hub to match the bike and have it relaced.

If you decide to get rid of the wheels, I would keep the tires if they work where you ride. Those look like they are almost new from what I can tell in the pictures and tires aren't cheap. If nothing else, you got a set of tires for your $80.
    I guess the best thing to do is just call trek and tell them what im trying to do. Are they usually pretty good about figuring this kinda stuff out?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasanii19 View Post
    I guess the best thing to do is just call trek and tell them what im trying to do. Are they usually pretty good about figuring this kinda stuff out?
    Call Trek where's the phone number - Good luck on that one. I emailed for tech. support and had to wait a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Call Trek where's the phone number - Good luck on that one. I emailed for tech. support and had to wait a few weeks.
    Isn't it 1-920-478-2191? Judging by your input in this thread, you must be a pessimistic person aren't you ? Lol

I hate that name.
    What frdfandc said. Sell and start over. You should make a little money on the deal since those wheels are arguably worth twice that $80 alone, without the tires. The rims are 28 hole, so your hub options for relacing are extremely limited, and what is available isn't even close to inexpensive. Then figure at least $50 a wheel for the labor. When it comes to good wheels, the rims are usually a small part of the equation, the money is in the hubs.

The guy in the video has RLs with standard hubs.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Endcaps for the front and rear should be the cheapest. But your fork is RS XC32 and upgradable and resellable.
    Manitou Tower Pro 29" 100mm White QR15

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasanii19 View Post
    Isn't it 1-920-478-2191? Judging by your input in this thread, you must be a pessimistic person aren't you ? Lol
    Had a good run around with Trek's tech support so I may be a bit jaded. Basically you have a set of rims & tires,...need F&R hubs + builds. LBS, in my area, charges $90 per wheel for the build, spokes & nipples. Hubs have a wide range of cost :$ 60 per set to $500. Personally, you could sell both your wheelsets and buy a set already built. Descent hubs & custom building really adds up in price.