Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help me choose wheels

973 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  duggus 
#1 ·
So i bent a front WTB SpeedDisc i19 today pretty well today so now begins my search for something lighter/stronger/tubeless. I was running the WTB's tubeless with Conti Race Kings on my Airborne HobGoblin. I'm about 210# and need something that will put up to abuse and some smaller drops. Been lookin at Stan's and Sun/Ringles but dont really know the difference between hoops etc.
Also should i spend the money on something like Hope hubs right away and purchase through Merlin Cycles or what?

#4 ·
i'm riding on stans arch ex and hope's, and i cant say enough good things about em. I made a few misjudged jumps and came down right on roots and rocks directly on the tire/rim. Wheels just ate it up and continued on. Also love the Hope hubs, they spin for days, and with the lighter wheels and those hubs it was like riding a new bike. Def an upgrade I'd suggestion to many riders. **It should be noted I ride XC, so biggest jumps I'm taking at maybe 2-3 feet

#5 ·
Thanks guys, I think going with the Flow Ex's on the Hope 2 hubs will be my best bet. I could not find them on wiggle and Merlin is out of stock on the hoop so unless i come across them somewhere else i will wait until they are back in stock. I have a cheap wheel I put on the bike just so i can still ride it.

Since only the front is bent should i just replace the front or is it better to buy/use them as a set?

#9 ·
Thanks guys, I think going with the Flow Ex's on the Hope 2 hubs will be my best bet. I could not find them on wiggle and Merlin is out of stock on the hoop so unless i come across them somewhere else i will wait until they are back in stock.
Personally, I would do a custom build through Handspun. You can do this very easily through AEBike and their wheel builder program. Sign up for an account and you get discounted prices shown as well. I think I priced out an entire 29er wheelset - Hope/Flow and it was like $550 shipped.

Handspun Custom Wheel Build - AEBike.com

Basically all you do is - pick out your 2 rims, add to cart - pick out your 2 hubs, add to cart. Then go to the above wheel builder page and choose the spokes/nips you want. Ignore the last optional rim part. Choose a quantity of "2" if you are having a wheelset made, and obviously only 1 if you are only doing front.

#8 ·
They come with 9 & 15mm caps for the front. The rear is one of the loudest hubs on the market. One guy says the freehub can be greased with Slick Honey for a quieter ride. Switch that out for winter riding in cold temps. The rear should fit a standard QR. E-mail Wiggle for added options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.