mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Help deciding on a fork for my 29er?

I just got a 2012 Scott Scale 29 comp a few weeks ago. I love the components, the only thing lacking is a good fork. My budget is pretty small... 200$ USD.

I found some deals on ebay, and I think these are what I will be choosing from:

Rock Shox Recon silver TK (solo air)
    Rock Shox Tora 318 (solo air)

There is also a Manitou R-seven fork in good condition(2006 i think =/) for under 200USD in good condition. I heard it was a great fork but its 6 years old...

I ride a trail called Whiting Ranch by my house, and it's composed of some singletracks, fire roads, and some steep hills. It gets pretty bumpy at some parts and my stock suntour fork just doesn't do the job. If you guys can help me choose, that would be great. Thanks in advanced.

mtbr member
    Keep what you have, wait until you have another $100 or so, and search for a Reba on ebay.

In my opinion, it's just not worth upgrading to either of the forks you listed for the money. You are right, the Suntour needs to be replaced, but I just think you would be MUCH happier with the Reba. If not, try and find a Recon GOLD
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

Rogue Exterminator
    I am in the same boat and have a crappy suntour pogo stick on the front of my bike.

I was initially going to do the Recon but after talking to somebody else, I decided it was better to wait a little longer and get the Reba.

For 29ers, you can find a new one for around $350

turtles make me hot
    I have to agree... I've been riding a Reba foe a few years now. I've weighed as much as 280. I rebuild it once a year and it gives me zero trouble.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for everyone's advice...

The thing is that I am only 130 pounds or so and don't do any crazy tracks, just some small drops once in a while and such. Would a Recon Silver still suit me?

turtles make me hot
    Probably just fine.
    I like turtles

DFMBA.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    Keep what you have, wait until you have another $100 or so, and search for a Reba on ebay.

In my opinion, it's just not worth upgrading to either of the forks you listed for the money. You are right, the Suntour needs to be replaced, but I just think you would be MUCH happier with the Reba. If not, try and find a Recon GOLD
    Second this suggestion, big time. Save your dough.

That said, The R/S Recon Gold is a 'poor man's' Reba in weight and spec.

mtbr member
    FYI-a Manitou R-Seven is not a 29er fork. You can get a Manitou Tower Expert for about $320, save up for that as there is no better fork at that price range.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog