mtbr member
    Aug 2011

help choose my rim

i've got a new Hadley 32 hole rear hub. i plan to use DT Swiss supercomp double butted spokes. i have a Norco Shinobi trail bike, ridden quite hard in BC, and i weigh 210. i'm hoping to be lighter than the stock WTB lazer disc wheel, while remaining strong. i occasionally race, but not looking for super light noodle wheel.

so far, it's looking like ZTR Arch is winning in the weight category. Velocity Blunts? Blunt SL maybe too light duty? not even considering carbon, being realistic.

thoughts?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Do you want tubeless?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    At your weight and riding hard on BC terrain, I'd recommend something stronger than an Arch. A Stan's Flow EX or Pacenti DL31 would be a good choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ah, forgot. i'll be using tubes, not tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I used those spokes for my ArchEX build. No problems so far.

mtbr member
    I'm your weight. Ride hard. Flows solved all my problems. Hadleys/Flows not light for XC racing. mine build up around 2000 grams give or take, but I run the 20mm DH hub up front. Cheers!
    When the **** did we get ice cream?

mtbr member
    Laserdisc trail rim is 570g and I'm the spokes and Formula hub didn't help either. It is a 27mm wide rim and I'd probably stick with something in that range. You could look at the Velocity Blunt at 489g a rim but Velocity rims are know for being easy to dent. So riding rocky terrain it may not be the best choice. You might also look at the Pacenti TL28 which is 450g and has shown to be strong. I would stay away from the Stans EX series rims (Arch EX, Flow EX) as the very short sidewalls are a little tough to get tubes into when the rim is specifically designed to fit tires very tight for tubeless use. However if you can find a now discontinued Flow (not the EX) then it would be a good choice as well.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    However if you can find a now discontinued Flow (not the EX) then it would be a good choice as well.
    The Stans website still has the old model on sale for US$ 40,- But only the 36 hole model.

mtbr member
    I'd consider the WTB Frequency i23 rim, 45g lighter than the LaserDisc Trail rim. The i23 rim is 23mm between the bead hooks, versus 21mm for the LaserDisc Trail.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    I'd consider the WTB Frequency i23 rim, 45g lighter than the LaserDisc Trail rim. The i23 rim is 23mm between the bead hooks, versus 21mm for the LaserDisc Trail.
    Good Call
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

turtles make me hot
    If you're definitely going to run tubes, maybe look at the Salsa Gordo or Semi. Tough rims.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Another vote for the WTB Frequency i23s. Top rims. Otherwise, the Stans Flows are also great, if you can find them.