mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Help With Caliper Adapters Please?

Hello, I'm looking to install larger rotors on my bike when I upgrade my brakes next week but I'm somewhat confused on all of the adapter brackets available. What I have now; Tektro Drako Hydraulic 180fr and 160rr Rotors. I'm buying the Hays Stroker Trail Brakes with 203fr and 180rr Rotors. I know the front takes a post mount 74mm adapter for the 203mm rotor but how about the rear? It is a direct 74mm mount like the front so can I just use the adapter that is on my fork now and just move it to the rear and use the new 203 adapter in the front? I'm thinking yes but all of the adapters say "front or fork mount" not rear??? Here's pics of what I have now, Thanks!

mtbr member
    Post Mount is Post Mount no matter if its on the front or rear. Since rear PM's are somewhat newer the universal adapter companies probably just have not caught up yet. Usually no adapter on a PM is 160mm (its actually printed on your stay) , then if you have something bigger you get the appropriate adapter. So for your new front you will need a PM to PM 203 and the rear will need a PM to PM 180.

I think you may be able to use your current PM2PM180 adapter but I'm not totally sure on Hayes. I know my Formula Brakes are specific to their own brand adapters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    you will need a new post to post 203 as mentioned above. your front post mount should work on the rear however, as mentioned sometimes there are some differences between manf. in my experience I've been able to solve it by adding in additional washers to get clearance needed.