mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Help with brake mount

I have a new Felt Trail with Suntour XCR forks. I went for the Nine Trail (vs more high end) as I knew from the first that I wanted to swap to rigid forks and play with other upgrades. I picked up a set of barely used Surly Karate Monkey forks on ebay cheap.

I have always run V-brakes before so am new to discs and the different mounting patterns. Is there a way to adapt my existing stock Tektro Novela mechanical disc caliper to the Surly forks?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with brake mount-felt-nine-trail-new-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It appears that the Suntour forks have 74mm POst mounting for the brakes. The Surly forks have international standard 51mm mounts. There will be an adapter to mount your brakes to the Surly forks. Ii think it's here:
    TEKTRO USA

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Shimano sells an adapter as well. Any shop should be able to get it for you for around $15.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the information and assistance, I appreciate it. I will hunt down one of the adapters tomorrow.

Before I got the new fork, I was able to get the Suntour fork collapsed and zip-tied (about 4 ties each side to hold it) at about the same length as the Surly KM rigid. Then ran some single track through the woods to check out how the handling will be with the new fork. Liked it a lot. Can't wait to see how it feels with 2.4 lbs (1095g) less weight in the front end.

Absolutely love how the Felt handles! Balance and maneuverability is really good at slow speeds, and it is smooth and stable at speed. Nice. I love it.