mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Headset on 29er Stumpjumper

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I've developed a noise in my headset and decided to tear it down to see what's up. I think I already know the answer to my question, but I wanted to hear what you all thought about this. See the attached image.

Cracked right?

turtles make me hot
    I guess it is... That would make noise.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    No, that is a compression ring, it is supposed to be split. Does look pretty manky though. You've got it out, may as well upgrade...or clean, grease, replace.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    No, that is a compression ring, it is supposed to be split. Does look pretty manky though. You've got it out, may as well upgrade...or clean, grease, replace.

Good to hear, I did clean it up and applied some Park lube before slapping it back together.

turtles make me hot
    Oops. I thought it was the crown race. Yeah, that's supposed to be split.

I had an 08 Stumpjumper that I cracked and Specialized replaced it with an 09. The 08 had a creak in the front. I replaced the headset with a Cane Creek 110. It had exactly the same noise. When I got the 09 frame, I transferred everything to it and I still have the same exact sound. It goes away if I clean and grease the headset. Comes back after a couple of rides.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    If the noise happens when turning the bars side to side, probably bearings are dry or worn...if clicking up and down, small adjustment

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Oops. I thought it was the crown race. Yeah, that's supposed to be split.

I had an 08 Stumpjumper that I cracked and Specialized replaced it with an 09. The 08 had a creak in the front. I replaced the headset with a Cane Creek 110. It had exactly the same noise. When I got the 09 frame, I transferred everything to it and I still have the same exact sound. It goes away if I clean and grease the headset. Comes back after a couple of rides.
    Did you have your head tube faced?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    Did you have your head tube faced?
    On the 08 frame, I did. In my head now, it's a totally normal sound my bike makes. I bet the tapered headset frames don't make any noise.
    It's a very low level creak. The fork's been checked, it happens with whatever wheel is on it...
    It's the frame/headset interface.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    My '12 Stumpy HT 29er has a small creak up front coming from this same area and I have figured it is the headset. Going to take apart and grease it up/inspect. Mine has the tapered headtube frame but since my bike is a 15.5", the fork is straight 1 and 1/8.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This creaking noise is coming from wear inside the head tube. This is the caveat with running bearings directly inside the frame. A small mal-adjustment can turn into a worn area that now allows a minute amount of movement, creating the "click" or "creak". Greasing will shut it up until the grease gets washed or pushed away.

It sucks, but it isn't gonna go away, it's just going to get worse.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This is the exact issue the Chris King griped about, and everyone called him sour grapes.

mtbr member
    ^^^ That is what I was thinking and describes my problem exactly. Glad I grabbed onto this thread!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    One thing to try TiGeo is putting a small amount (one layer) of Teflon tape inside the head tube and then set the bearing back in. Might actually take up the small amount of space created by wear. Grease the bearing as normal as well.

Might work? My thought is that one layer wouldn't affect the bearing fit too adversely.

mtbr member
    Do the 2012 Stumpys have integrated headsets (bearing on frame) or zero-stack (bearing on cup)?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    They're integrated.

mtbr member
    I am taking the fork of in a few weeks to service it - I will do the headset at the same time and may try the Teflon tape trick...fixes BBs that do the same thing. I agree with Chris King's article on this subject, this fixed a problem that didn't exist and now the frame will be hosed rather than dropping another $50 headset in there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi everyone. Suffered the same issue with my turner5 spot with ck inset1 headset. A creak developed after months of abuse so i changed my fork,wheelset and cockpit to see if one was the culprit but to no avail. my mechanic the removed the headset cups and saw that the headtube-headset cups interface was dry. He then wrapped the headset cup beforeressing it in to the headtube dabbed with grease and now its dead silent! Never thought the teflon tape could make my ride more enjoyable now without worrying about creaks. I just hope that this fix is safe and wont harm my headtube overtime.

mtbr member
    After my last fork rebuild, a thorough cleaning/greasing of my headset yielded zero noise afterward. Agree that Teflon tape is magic..shut up many a bottom bracket.

Mountain Lion Bait
    Does anyone know of an aftermarket company making headsets for the Spesh Stumpy 29r's? I'm in the market, as it were (stole that from Cap'n Jack Sparrow.)

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by renderedtoast View Post
    Does anyone know of an aftermarket company making headsets for the Spesh Stumpy 29r's? I'm in the market, as it were (stole that from Cap'n Jack Sparrow.)
    Sure... Chris King and Cane Creek.
    I like turtles

Mountain Lion Bait
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Sure... Chris King and Cane Creek.
    I spoke to a tech at CK today, they do not make a headset for a 2013 Spesh Stumpy FSR Elite 29. I've got a call in to Cane Creek. Their headset finder said it wasn't a standard product and to call. I'll post back with my findings.
    Last edited by renderedtoast; 06-24-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Mountain Lion Bait
    Ok, Cane Creek came thru with the hookup (thx NY for the tip.) For anyone wanting an integrated headset, this should work for you:

BAA0661K 110-ASMBLY-TOP-IS42/28.6/H9

BAA0143 110-ASMBLY-BOTTOM-IS52/BLACK 40/BOXED

turtles make me hot
    NP...
    I'm surprised CK doesn't offer anything. I'm a CC fan anyway. Glad it worked out.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Chris King does not make any 'integrated' headsets. They (he, Chris King) does not believe in the functionality of them. Basically, in his view (and it is a difficult view to argue with), integrated headsets make your 'frame' a wear item along with the head set bearings since the bearings are resting directly in the frame.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.