mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Headlock for tapered fork?

Here is the issue. So far two wing nuts have come loose in my steer tube. I'm sure I am not installing them properly or something simple and lame brain. But I'm tired of them and want to try a different option. I've been reading up on headlocks and it seems the DH guys have been using them for yrs with success. I have not found one made for a tapered fork tube. I've read about guys using the azonic headlock with a large washer. Please help me.

Thanks
    Zack

mtbr member
    they dont exist for tapered headtube

you can use any headlock and had a big washer at the bottom or build one yourself faily easy with off the shelf hardware store parts.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Btw. I'm running cane creek 40 headset. Not sure if that makes a difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    Btw. I'm running cane creek 40 headset. Not sure if that makes a difference.
    How tight are you screwing in the stem cap?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

I tighten it until it gives decent amount of resistance and everything is tight. With no play in the headset. I just reinstalled a SFN last week. After one ride it came loose.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderzy View Post
    Here is the issue. So far two wing nuts have come loose in my steer tube. I'm sure I am not installing them properly or something simple and lame brain. But I'm tired of them and want to try a different option. I've been reading up on headlocks and it seems the DH guys have been using them for yrs with success. I have not found one made for a tapered fork tube. I've read about guys using the azonic headlock with a large washer. Please help me.

Thanks
    Zack
    Star nuts are only there to set the bearing preload until you clamp your stem down, not to keep the headset tight. The stem is really the part that holds the thing together. Clean the clamp area of your steerer tube and stem before you put it together, or maybe even use a ring of blue loctite in between to fill in the pores between the two parts.

I might suggest a different stem with bigger clamp area, or maybe finding a way to keep it from sliding up your fork, like extra clamps instead of spacers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Star nuts are only there to set the bearing preload until you clamp your stem down, not to keep the headset tight. The stem is really the part that holds the thing together. Clean the clamp area of your steerer tube and stem before you put it together, or maybe even use a ring of blue loctite in between to fill in the pores between the two parts.

I might suggest a different stem with bigger clamp area, or maybe finding a way to keep it from sliding up your fork, like extra clamps instead of spacers.

This, if yours keeps coming loose, you're doing something wrong.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

No doubt I did something wrong. Took it to my trusted LBS. put a new SFN in there. Still same problem. Took it home and took the fork off. Sure enough the bottom headset bearing was busted. In 2 pieces. Looked like a piece was missing bc the ball bearings were exposed. Was that caused by overloading on my part or is it a faulty product? The mechanic mentioned it may be a faulty bearing and that it happens relatively often. Otherwise I would not have checked for it had he not mentioned it.

Thanks for the replies. This is my second bike build. Learning as I go.