mtbr member
    May 2013

Having trouble going ghetto tubeless with 29" maddux DC3.0 and WTB nineline 2.0

I just got done following mbrmagazine's youtube video (How To: Tubeless mountain bike set up on the cheap - YouTube) on how to go ghetto tubeless. I followed the video exactly but I've run into trouble. Before adding sealant I attempted to test whether it would hold air or not, and it wouldn't take any air at all using my compressor! I'm using my factory maddux DC3.0 rim with my OE WTB nineline 2.0 tire. I used a 20" tube that I cut straight down the middle and spread over the rim. I used lots of soap and water on both the tube/rim and tire bead. I noticed my tire very easily mounted to my rim whereas on many HOW TO's you would need tire levers just to put a tire back on! Is this why when mounted there's no seal at all and I cant get it to hold any air?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    When mounted, these tires do not hug the outer rim but instead just sit right at the middle. They seem to have very flimsy sidewalls. Trying to massage the tire to sit "wider" so that air does not escape has not worked. I am using a 20" tube on a 29" wheel, could this very stretched and tight combo be causing me problems?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Have tried removing the valve core and hitting it with a compressor? If that doesn't help you might want to try the Stans rim strip, or a different tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You have to pull the bead rim sidewalls otherwise ir will be very difficult to get the air to begin to hold. Plenty of soapy water on the tire bead usually helps to slide it into place.

mtbr member
    The whole thing with ghetto is to have the tire fit tightly or you will never get it to seat and take air - you need to build up the center of the rim. The skinny Gorilla tape works great. Go around 2 times and re-mount..if it is still to loose, go around again. Its an iterative process and takes some patience.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thank you guys for the help. I finally got it to hold air using user "meltingfeather" tip of using mold builders liquid latex. I just smeared it on the tire bead with a 1.5" paint brush, and that was it! Seeing that tire inflate after hours of frustrating attempts was so gratifying. Than you again to "meltingfeather" for his invaluable tip and you guys for the support.