mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Has anyone tried a 29er wheel in the Fox 34 160mm fork yet?

Okay, please don't dump on me because:
    (i) I have searched to see if this has been discussed - if it has, I can't find it, and
    (ii) I don't want to trigger another "what on earth do you want with a 29er fork that long" debate...

It is a simple scenario - a Niner WFO, want more than 140mm, but don't want a Dorado, and don't want to do the famous Fox 36 mod. So - has anyone out there tried putting a 29er wheel with a 2.3/2.4 tyre into the Fox 34 160mm yet?

Cheers.

upgrade until you suck
    Nov 2005
    I'd like some clarification so we all know what it is we're discussing - is it a modification to make the 34mm 29er forks have 160mm of travel, or just putting a 29er wheel into the 26 inch 34mm fork with the stock 160mm of travel?

If it's the former I'm interested to hear about it too; the latter sounds like just a play on the infamous 36 mod.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    No, as far as I know the 34 29er cannot be modded to 160mm - BUT it can be modded to 150mm - in another thread in this forum someone who had their 34 140mm apart noticed another hole where the locating pin could go that placed the cartridge higher, giving 150mm. So that is for the 34 29er...

But the 650B (27.5") 34 comes standard with 160mm and I was wondering how far a 29 inch wheel was from fitting into that. That would give me the single crown 160mm 29er fork I want for the WFO. I know, I know, I can hear some folks saying "dude, what's with all the fuss over the last 10mm? Just buy the 29er 34, reposition the pin to make it 150mm, then shut up and ride!" But it's my daydream, okay? So, does anyone know a mate of a mate who knows a dude who has a friend that has tried to put a 29er wheel into the 650B (27.5") Fox 34 160mm? (Not the 26" 34)? Anyone? Surely someone has tried it and snapped an iPhone pic?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Part of my passion for mountain biking is tinkering with the equipment. I have my DUC32 Maverick four pound fork running a 29 wheel with 170mm of travel.

140mm+ full suspension AM 29er - what's out there?

After I make some little modification I want to go ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by checkpoint22 View Post
    No, as far as I know the 34 29er cannot be modded to 160mm - BUT it can be modded to 150mm - in another thread in this forum someone who had their 34 140mm apart noticed another hole where the locating pin could go that placed the cartridge higher, giving 150mm. So that is for the 34 29er...
    Yeah, me. It shouldn't be done...not enough top out so you get metal on metal hits...a lot...when you yank up on the bar.

Edit: realize that there's only a tiny lip holding the cir-clip in place which holds the lowers w/ the uppers. The thought of having your lower fork/wheel assembly leave your bike while you're in the air...gives me the worst case of piss-shiver ever!

A thought for you: give Fox a call to get the OA length of the stanchions so you can compare... a 26er/160mm and a 29er/140mm. If there is a difference (as in the 26er is longer...altho not likely), perhaps you can put a set of 29 lowers onto a full set of 26 uppers. But 140 vs 160 is under an inch while 26 vs 29 is 3". The math no worky even if you have to 1/2 those values
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by checkpoint22 View Post
    But the 650B (27.5") 34 comes standard with 160mm and I was wondering how far a 29 inch wheel was from fitting into that. That would give me the single crown 160mm 29er fork I want for the WFO. I know, I know, I can hear some folks saying "dude, what's with all the fuss over the last 10mm? Just buy the 29er 34, reposition the pin to make it 150mm, then shut up and ride!" But it's my daydream, okay? So, does anyone know a mate of a mate who knows a dude who has a friend that has tried to put a 29er wheel into the 650B (27.5") Fox 34 160mm? (Not the 26" 34)? Anyone? Surely someone has tried it and snapped an iPhone pic?
    I think I'm about 3 degrees closer than that. I have a Fox 650b 160mm fork on my Uzzi. I, for shits and grins, put on the front wheel of of my 29. It's a standard Crest with a Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on it and it "barely" fit. By barely I mean that it would spin while on the stand but anything other than straight low pressure riding and it was rubbing a lot. Any side load was like a card in the spokes. IMO not doable with a reasonable sized tire. Sorry no pics, I don't even take pics while I'm on vacation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks TBarnaby, great info there (and sorry about your pic-taking deficiency - must be quite a rare condition in this me-focussed inter-web age)!

Now, I know that this is will contradict the parameters of my original question, but do you reckon it would work if you copied the 36 mod, and ground out a bit of the fork arch? What might it look like if you ground out about 5mm - would that give enough clearance?

I know this is a return to the 36mod that I don't want to do, but it might be worthwhile if:
    (a) you don't have to grind the 27.5" Fox 34 as much as the 26" 36 (cause they have to grind out a fair bit), and
    (b) after the grinding is done, you still get 160mm of travel, as opposed to the limited 145mm with the ground out 36 fork ? (but just remembered that now there is a 180mm fox 36).

So, for just a couple more grins, imagine you were going to take the dremel tool to your shiny new 650B, how much material would have to be removed to get the 29er wheel in?

This thread is really degenerating into ifs, ands, buts and maybes - they should just make us a proper fork already. I guess what ticks me off a little is that the current 650B fad had their forks made ahead ready to coincide with the boom in popularity, but the 29er folks had the boom, and still no fork...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does this help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Has anyone tried a 29er wheel in the Fox 34 160mm fork yet?-dscn4972.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Awesome TBarnaby, thanks very much!

mtbr member
    That's a tight fit
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

usually cranky
    ^thats what she said

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005

More info please!

Quote Originally Posted by geweber View Post
    Part of my passion for mountain biking is tinkering with the equipment. I have my DUC32 Maverick four pound fork running a 29 wheel with 170mm of travel.

140mm+ full suspension AM 29er - what's out there?

After I make some little modification I want to go ride!
    I sent you a PM. I have access to one of these forks and I am really interested in your mod and info about it? Thanks!!
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have been riding with this mod for over a year now. If I don't put lock tight on the lower threads of the spool piece the bath oil will seep through the threads into the inside of the stanchion tube.

It would be better to get a new set of stanchions made that are 1-1/2 inches longer (12.5 inches instead of 11 inches). If I knew where the original stanchions were made I might be able to get some longer ones made.

This will give you 6 inches of travel with a 29 inch wheel. It will increase the axle to crown length by 1.5 inches. This will slacken (decrease) the head angle by nearly 2 degrees. This makes downhill better but the steering will feel different, especially at slow speeds and rolling over logs and rocks. A laterial force on the back of the wheel will have more turning force on the handle bar due to the slacker head angle. There is a small noticeable flop with my ML8 26 inch bike. However, this mod jacks the front up 3 inches instead of 1.5 inches on a 26 inch bike. 1.5 inches due to the bigger wheel and 1.5 inches due to the stanchion extension.

Normally the fork will be in a compressed state when you put high stresses on the bike. However, if the fork stuck in and extended position then higher stresses could be put on the fork and bike. So try this at your own risk. My net weight is 155 and I don't take big air.

I would try the standard 6 inch travel this fork is designed for on a 26 inch wheel before going for more travel. The 29er wheel feels pretty good with 6 inches of travel. I removed the negative spring and bushing above the air coil piston and used a 3 mm O-ring for the bottom bumper to get 170 mm of travel. I had to cut the snout (extension) off the oil damper seal head to allow more travel on the oil damper side. Then you can also put the negative spring in the oil damper if you want. I cut the snout off another oil damper seal head and put this seal head on the air coil side. This made the space above the air coil piston act as a negative air chamber. The oil damper seal head has an O-ring in it whereas the air coil side seal head doesn’t. Oh, there are two small holes in the oil damper rod that have to be plugged. These will travel beyond the seal head and your damper oil would spew out. So it is a little involved to get that extra 18 mm of travel. Also the stanchion comes out of the bushing farther in the fully extended extended position which I am uneasy with. In the fully extended position the torsional force of the fork is significantly less. The stanchion including the 1.5 inch extension is only 2 inches into the 3 inch bushing. I have only had about 20 rides on the longer travel mod. I do like the ride better. My downhill performance on trails with rough terrain and 2 to 4 % grade has improved.
    Last edited by geweber; 11-28-2012 at 01:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Here's another approach to a 160mm travel 29er fork: http://lacemine29.blogspot.com/2012_07_01_archive.html. Might be tough figuring out where to get this done, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I like your setup. I have been riding a 29er and a 69er with long travel. I don't mind giving up a little weight for a nice ride.

banned
    Just curious, why no love for the Dorado? I have had a couple of those over the years and was a better fork then any of the Fox I have had.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Just curious, why no love for the Dorado? I have had a couple of those over the years and was a better fork then any of the Fox I have had.
    That link in my post was to Mike Curiak's blog from lacemine29.com, so he'd have to answer your question. Just though it was an interesting build, especially with the fork mod.

mtbr member
    What if you just build a nice wheelset?

Front: 650b rim w/meaty front tire (this will approach to the 29er tire a bit)
    Rear: 29er rim w/skinny rear tire (so you reduce diameter and approach to fron tire).

You can disguise it by using same brand, same model. I do have a Fox34 Talas here and it would be nice to lace up a couple Stan's rims -Arch EX model comes quickly for the example- and just a few will notice
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmetless View Post
    What if you just build a nice wheelset?

Front: 650b rim w/meaty front tire (this will approach to the 29er tire a bit)
    Rear: 29er rim w/skinny rear tire (so you reduce diameter and approach to fron tire).

You can disguise it by using same brand, same model. I do have a Fox34 Talas here and it would be nice to lace up a couple Stan's rims -Arch EX model comes quickly for the example- and just a few will notice
    Well I will notice it. But just guessing here
    Banshee Paradox V2
    Focus Thunder 650b tuned

mtbr member
    The new Pike comes in 160mm. Theres one on Ebay for sale right now. Seems like the best way to go, I'd be hesitant about the clearance between arch and tire on modified forks. Thats just me though.