Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hardtail riders with carbon rims -any issues with durability?

My 29er hardtail is deserving of new wheels, and I'm really curious about trying carbon rims on it. I have a pair of carbon wheels on my full-suspension 26er, and switching to them allowed me to run fatter tires with little pedaling disadvantage. I'm hoping that the lighter rotating weight (and added stiffness) will make my 29er more nimble up hills and through single track.

The above said, I wonder about the consequences of hitting sharp baby head rocks at speed, or perhaps experiencing that episodic rear pinch flat every few years (last time was because of a terrain-tire mismatch). For those lucky hard tail riders running carbon wheels through XC/trail terrain, any issues with regard to untimely damage?

Thanks!
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    It's important to choose a right carbon wheels (for XC/AM or DH), and use a proper tire is important as well, it will effect on your riding experience and also the duability of carbon rims.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I've been running the Roval Control carbon wheels on my steel HT for a couple months now, so far I'm really impressed with these wheels. Stiff as my Hope/Flows but a solid pound lighter, mounted up 2.3 tires tubeless and have been perfect. I've never run wheels this light and was concerned about durability of the rim and build with the light spokes, but not any longer.

I caught a rock and put a nice gouge in the rear rim, also bent the der hanger at the same time. I didn't realize it and shifted the chain into the spokes and bent one of em pretty good as well. Was able to true up the wheel and it has been fine since.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I built up a set of the LB rims with CK hubs for my friend who rides rigid in WV. He has beat them pretty good, including a trip to Pisgah. Last week he hit a stick and bent a spoke, wheels are still fine.

g3h6o3
    Riding the Light-bicycle rims on my Chromag Rootdown with no issues. As long as you run enough pressure in your tires it shouldn't be an concern. I ride 2.25 and 2.4 tires with around 26-28 psi in very rooty and rocky terrain and they can handle it without problem.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have the LB carbons on my hardtail. I am running them tubeless with 2.1s. I run pressures at 22-23lbs. My riding is in New England. Not a ton of miles on them but they have handled plenty of roacks, roots and bony downhill runs. So far so great.

COTA member
    I have carbon wheels on both my XC 29er HTs (one SS, one 1x10). No issues. I run about 25 psi tubeless with Geax AKA 2.2" tires.

mtbr member
    How is the comfort level with carbon rims compared to Al on a HT? Can you tell a difference?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like few riders are having any reservations with putting carbon rims on a hard tail. I will take all this into consideration...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nope

1800 km of XC and Cat 1/2 Racing - would of demo'd many Stan's Crest wheels by now

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    I've been running the Roval Control carbon wheels on my steel HT for a couple months now, so far I'm really impressed with these wheels. Stiff as my Hope/Flows but a solid pound lighter, mounted up 2.3 tires tubeless and have been perfect. I've never run wheels this light and was concerned about durability of the rim and build with the light spokes, but not any longer.

I caught a rock and put a nice gouge in the rear rim, also bent the der hanger at the same time. I didn't realize it and shifted the chain into the spokes and bent one of em pretty good as well. Was able to true up the wheel and it has been fine since.
    but were your Hope/Flows built by Mikesee?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Probably a good idea to avoid bottoming out carbon rims at all costs. Especially on hard rocks.

I bottom mine out occasionally, but I am afraid to crack them.

My Roval Control SLs are holding up great.
    But I hate to say, my Light Bicycle Carbon rims are not.

Here is a pic of the rear rim. Must be a manufacturing defect... Typical carbon rim failure is closer to the bead hook.

Its on a 140mm travel Honzo hardtail. I ride the piss out of it.
    Hardtail riders with carbon rims -any issues with durability?-image.jpg
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Probably a good idea to avoid bottoming out carbon rims at all costs. Especially on hard rocks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	817439
    Indeed a good idea. It's perhaps that fact that encourages me to stick with considerably less expensive (but still top notch) Stans Arch EX rims -on my hard tail at least. They'll be a little heavier and possibly a touch flexier, but I'll have no worries beating them up when the rim costs 1/10th the cost a fancy carbon one.

mtbr member
    I think it's more like 1/2 the cost (retail at least) of the LB carbon rims.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    Also look at the arb offering. Been riding them fire a while and Luke them better than the stabs because its much easier to mount tires
    27.2 miles ridden (going to be a slow start because of work )

1868.3 miles ridden in 2013

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Any tried Enve carbon 29er rims?

Formerly of Kent
    Yes. And they're bulletproof.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles-Bris View Post
    Any tried Enve carbon 29er rims?
    Have a set on my FS. They're expensive, but arguably the best carbon rims out there.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

COTA member
    I have a set of Enve Twenty9 XC w/DT240s on a Niner Jet 9 RDO. Bullet proof. Very stiff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sheepo-what do you weigh and are those the standard width or wide versions? Also did you pay for the "strengthening" or standard? Thanks for sharing.

Plays with tools
    My Enve wheels are old enough they have Edge decals on them, still running strong. Carbon parts is definitely an area where you get what you pay for though.

psycho cyclo addict
    I replaced a set of Flow rims/2.0 straight DT spokes with a set of similar internal width Light Bicycle carbon 29er rims (CK hubs and DT DB 1.8/2.0 spokes) maybe 6 months ago. I run ~18 psi in the font and ~22 in the rear (195 lb. rider) and have taken them on all sorts of rocky terrain in PA & MD and a few races with no issues. One thing I did is build them with brass nipples- less brittle, turn easier when tensioning up and less reactive with carbon than aluminum nipples).

I am building a second set for my hard tail in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I had replace my set of CK with Crest wheelset with a set of Enve 29er XC wheel
    The Crest was good but a little flexy at times.
    the first impression that I had when I took the ENVE out for a ride was that I had to BRAKE way more than what I had used to.. the reason was the bike was trekking a lot faster and digging in to corner faster..... and I don't find it flexing as at..
    so far I done quite a number of miles on them.... and they are holding on great
    and yes. I am on a carbon hardtail

mtbr member
    Enve am with dt hubs. They were new this spring and have seen plenty of abuse with zero issues. Pretty much amazing in every way.
    "if you can't be good, be good at it."

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    My 29er hardtail is deserving of new wheels, and I'm really curious about trying carbon rims on it. I have a pair of carbon wheels on my full-suspension 26er, and switching to them allowed me to run fatter tires with little pedaling disadvantage. I'm hoping that the lighter rotating weight (and added stiffness) will make my 29er more nimble up hills and through single track.

The above said, I wonder about the consequences of hitting sharp baby head rocks at speed, or perhaps experiencing that episodic rear pinch flat every few years (last time was because of a terrain-tire mismatch). For those lucky hard tail riders running carbon wheels through XC/trail terrain, any issues with regard to untimely damage?

Thanks!
    Honestly, I don't think you have to worry your pretty little head about it. I've ridden with you. You're pretty dang smoove, you're not a big guy, and you don't really do big drops or anything. I think you'll be just fine.

That said, I would still go with the Light Bicycle AM rims. There's only 20g difference in weight, and the added stiffness and theoretical durability is well worht it, especially considering they are still 70g lighter than your regular XC alu rims.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast