mtbr member

Hans Dampf Tread Tearing/ Conti Width Accurate?

My Trigger 29er1 came with a set of Hans Dampfs. I like the tires well enough but after a couple hundred miles the lugs are starting to tear off the sides of the tires. Is this common on these tires? I might get in touch with my LBS and see if they can warranty them.

If I can't get my Hans Dampfs replaced, are the new Conti Trail King and Mountain King actually a 2.4" tire, or at least close? Seems that Conti tires are always narrower than advertised, I like how big the Schwalbe tires are.

Zaf
    mtbr member
    If I remember Continental Tyres measure from tread width, so that's why their Race Kings are such a high volume tyre, because they've got tiny little tread, whereas their burlier treads generall roll a little thinner. Other tyre companies measure from the casing, both are accepted, but keep it in mind when purchasing them.

As for the Hans Dampfs, how are you riding them, and what are you riding them on? I've seen people complaining about the same thing happening with the Lugs on X-kings and Rubber Queens, but when you watch them ride they're skid prone on hard rocky terrain. If that's not fitting the bill, check which set they are, they release the Hans Dampf in a few different compound options, maybe that's what's causing it to fall apart.
    Trek Fuel EX 9 (2012)
    Trek Superfly AL Elite (2013)

mtbr member
    I've riding in VT, so anything from hard pack to rocky and rooty. The majority of the torn lugs are on the front tire, I know I'm not skidding that one. I try not to skid, bad for the trails. The front is a TrailStar and the rear is a PaceStar compound.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by ALS650L View Post
    My Trigger 29er1 came with a set of Hans Dampfs. I like the tires well enough but after a couple hundred miles the lugs are starting to tear off the sides of the tires. Is this common on these tires?
    Yes, unfortunately.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    All of Schwalbe tires wear quick. I usually get about 300 miles per tire. It is not a warranty issue. Better the performance typically faster the wear.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Somewhere within the last year or so there was an article, maybe Bike or Velonews, where they compared actual tire widths to advertised. I tried to search on the interweb for it, but couldn't find it. Maybe someone else knows.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    All of Schwalbe tires wear quick. I usually get about 300 miles per tire. It is not a warranty issue. Better the performance typically faster the wear.
    Tread wear is not a warranty issue, typically. Knobs tearing and separating from the casing is, however.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yes, I had a pair that lasted about 300mi and they were toast. The Maxxis Minion DHF's last longer and grip better for the New England riding I do.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Tread wear is not a warranty issue, typically. Knobs tearing and separating from the casing is, however.
    I'm not concerned about the wear, they are still doing fine in that department. Multiple knobs beginning to tearing off the tire is an issue though.

mtbr member
    Anybody using the 2.4 Trail Kings or Mountain Kings that would be willing to measure the width? Or do you have any insight on these tires. I doubt I'll be paying $90 for another Hans Dampf that's going to tear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hans Dampfs are one of 4 popular soft rubber tires I've tried, and they have all been prone to torn lugs. They've been better than others because they haven't left me with sizable spots of threads to look at or so much rubber missing that you can't corner or climb well.

mtbr member
    The TK/MK 2.4's are big tires, similar in size to the HD's. I run an HD front and MK rear. The Black Chili compound seems to be much more durable, but I have no interest running anything but the HD in front. Tire absolutely kills it for front grip and predictability.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Salespunk is right the MK 2.4 is close to the HDs. The HD is the best tire in my opinion but the lugs do tear fairly quickly in rocky terrain. The Maxxis Ardent is pretty good, cheaper, decent grips rolls well but does not last long. It does not tear but it has low tread and it just plain wears fast.

mtbr member
    I may have to try the Contis. I've had good luck with their tires in the past. I was concerned they wouldn't match up in size to the HD since they are known for undersized tires. I noticed Sunday a scuff out of the side wall on my rear HD. I think I would be pretty bummed if I had payed $90 each for these but since they came on my bike I'll live with it. Maybe I'll look into some of the new Maxxis tires too.